Wolf replacement springs

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
I just purchased and installed a set of Wolf replacement springs in a semi-auto for a friend and it got me to wondering. My Hi-Power has factory springs in it. No complaints. (so maybe no reason to change them) Would there be any advantage to replacing the springs in my Hi-Power? The reason I ask is I'm getting ready to do a detail strip to have my pistol Cerakoted and will have everything laying out on a cloth, so then would be a perfect time to replace them. Just wondering.

dennishoddy

Just my opinion, but springs have a very long life. If the gun was functioning well before the strip, I'd put the same ones right back in. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my mantra.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I have always felt that way..........which is why I was asking if different weight springs might be a benefit.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
If it is an older gun that you shoot a lot or you feel the springs are worn, re-spring it with stock weight springs.
At the very least purchase a set to keep in the range bag as insurance.

They always seem to run the sweetest just before the wheels fall off.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
After you get it Cerakoted, put it back together with the stock springs. Since it was running good with them before the coating, it should run good afterwards.

If it don't run like it should, at least you know its something other than the springs causing problems.

I'm a big fan at changing just one thing at a time and then test to make sure I didn't just screw up something.

But it sure is fun helping someone who went whole hog on the parts upgrade and finds their once super reliable gun has become a single shot.

Bill

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually, his pistol is a whole lot more functional now. It's his EDC pistol, a Kel Tec P11 in 9mm. Interesting little pistol, but a crappy trigger and trigger pull. Recoil didn't allow quick re-acquistion of the front sight. Bucked around like an ornery Arkansas mule.

Polished everything up "proper". Installed a new trigger. Put an 18# Wolf recoil spring in it and a firing pin spring. Then I made a mod that moved the spring .075" closer to the two connection points without modifying the spring itself. Pistol is as tame as a kitten now and he's shootin' a whole lot more accurately than he was previously............................so hardly a "single-shot". :sarcastichand:

Latest posts