Winchester Ammo(WWB)

Will you purchase Winchester White Box ammo the the future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Are you sure you were not limp wristing?

:D :D

I don't think I have shot any WWB in years, so did not vote. If I see a box at a reasonable price, I might get it just to see how it shoots.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
Are you sure you were not limp wristing?

:D :D

I don't think I have shot any WWB in years, so did not vote. If I see a box at a reasonable price, I might get it just to see how it shoots.
If you buy some let us know how it shoots. I don't think it was a bad batch, I've shot different lot #'s.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I love the smokey effect as it builds up on the first 2" of my slide. The WW1 surplus bullseye powder is probably the same lot# as in my 20rd Box of Cupro Nickle bullet 45acp made in 1912 has in it. I have never bought a single pound of Bullseye powder it's as old as Black & as dirty as Black.
There's not enough Ds in dirty to describe the Winchester White Trash Ammunition we found for years at Wally World LOL.

I have only had one maybe two Duds in all the WWB I ever have shot & that's a ton & it's not just WWB, it's the Old Mil spec WWC same old WWB
just in uniform. Shoot center mass at 50 yards & you may keep them on paper on a big target LOL. They have good primers ;)

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I was wondering why so many people bad mouth Winchester White box ammo. I can now say the the WWB ammo in 45 & 9 has more flyers per box then any other ammo I have shot. Including the foreign crap. I held off judgment until now. No squibs mind you but the accuracy suffers.
I've used plenty , in 9mm , 45 acp , even .556 . Never an issue .

rmac

Active Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Not sure why so many people complain about Winchester White Box.
Over the past 20 years I have used, at a minimum 100,000 rounds of WWB.
About ten years ago Winchester moved their Ammo Plant to about thirty five miles from my farm in Mississippi so a lot of the White Box came from there.
The only complaint I have is occasionally one is crimped too lightly causing set back upon chambering resulting in a higher pressure upon firing hence a lower strike on the target.
Sometimes I will Ransom Rest test for an entire week using all types of ammo.
White Box will usually go under 2" out of a decent gun and around 1" - 1 3/4" from a Bullseye pistol.
Knowing what to expect from White Box ammo if I get a low round while shooting a group I throw the entire group out and shoot another.
My belief is that the inaccuracy that people complain about is caused by this occasional soft crimp.
This low flyer will be on average 1/2" to 3/4" below the normal circular group.
Most shooters are not aware that the group should be circular. If it strings up, down or sideways you have a bedding problem.
For instance if, using a 1911, the pistol loosens in the rest the group will elongate from about 11 O'Clock to 5 O'Clock as the tendency is to move up and down and slightly left as caused by bullet torque.
As for being dirty burning it seems as if shooters now want the impossible from powder that is used at a low chamber pressure. Remember the the rule of powder cleanliness is 'the higher the chamber pressure the cleaner the burn'.
In 1956, as a Junior, I shot my first Bullseye match with the old Winchester Western yellow box Match ammo. Winchester has kept their ammo very consistent through the years. The other big two companies seem to have had many more ups and downs.
Just an opinion based on many rounds of WWB sent down range.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
Thank you all for your input. I will not buy anymore WWB. Inaccurate or undependable "target ammo" does me no good. I will spend the extra $$ for quality. For me its; Speer, Federal, S&B or some Remington for a few. That's just my bag. I want my ammo to mimic the SD ammo as close as possible. And I learned a good lesson. Never let your supply run low like I did before. Let's Go Brandon!!! MAGA

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Probably a good decision. Anytime I have shot WWB in my 1911, it needs a good cleaning. I like Federal HST ammo for defense purposes. It's top tier quality ammo. For less expensive practice ammo, I prefer the Federal Syntech. It's clean and made to duplicate the HST ammo with the same weight bullet. Federal says the bullet flight path is identical between the two.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm sorry guys but anything but Bullseye powder, it's fine for Bullseye shooters who love that sour smell but & like to clean their pistols.
I prefer the smell & clean burn of AA #2 powder. or even Win231.

Let me touch on their Brass. I have both 357 & 44magnum loads in new Winchester cases that I loaded back many years ago.
Winchester #296 powder CCI primer mag. At least 25 percent have neck cracks after I fire them not from high pressure.
My Federal & Norma cases have been loaded with the same primer & powder yet they never seem to crack like the Winchester does.

Anyone else have these problems with Win brass? I know that .308 Winchester or the Mil 7.62 WWC cases are Taboo to a High power shooter they just don't last at all. Remington has more red ( Copper ) in their cases so they last longer Norma has the most, I have & still load down, some 44 mags of Norma brass
I bought 30 years ago.

rmac

Active Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm sorry guys but anything but Bullseye powder, it's fine for Bullseye shooters who love that sour smell but & like to clean their pistols.
I prefer the smell & clean burn of AA #2 powder. or even Win231.

Let me touch on their Brass. I have both 357 & 44magnum loads in new Winchester cases that I loaded back many years ago.
Winchester #296 powder CCI primer mag. At least 25 percent have neck cracks after I fire them not from high pressure.
My Federal & Norma cases have been loaded with the same primer & powder yet they never seem to crack like the Winchester does.

Anyone else have these problems with Win brass? I know that .308 Winchester or the Mil 7.62 WWC cases are Taboo to a High power shooter they just don't last at all. Remington has more red ( Copper ) in their cases so they last longer Norma has the most, I have & still load down, some 44 mags of Norma brass
I bought 30 years ago.
Could be that Bullseye leads all other powders in the Bullseye (Precision Pistol) competition because they shoot better scores with it.
Go to Bullseye-L forum and search for powders and loads used by top shooters.
For you shooters who like soft practice loads try some of the Short Line loads.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Could be that Bullseye leads all other powders in the Bullseye (Precision Pistol) competition because they shoot better scores with it.
Go to Bullseye-L forum and search for powders and loads used by top shooters.
For you shooters who like soft practice loads try some of the Short Line loads.
Your right on target, some BE Shooters told me that the dirty nature of the powder within reason, caused a better bullet seal like that fouling shot you take with a muzzleloader rifle. Fouling shouts are to coat the bore & make a better seal to improve accuracy.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Never understood WHY, but the older neighbor that taught me to start hand loading ( mid-70's) used to mload his 44 mag cases with 2.5gr of Bullseye.
Don't remember if I asked why he shot such a light charge..he loaded 240gr.pills. I started loading all my pistol loads w/ Bullseye back when I started loading.
A "new" line of powders came on the market.. Accurate Arms, & I bought some #2, #5, #7, #9. Switched from Bullseye & used #2, as it was much cleaner, worked as well, accuracy-wise. I also started using 2230, 2460, &2520 in my rifle loads. Stuck with A?A for many years & a lot of loading..then I discovered Shooter's World line of powders. I actually like some of their powders better..
Cleanshot is very similar to A/A #2, Blackout is very similar to A/A 1680.
Had some good results with loads using their Match rifle in 308 & 30-06 .
Unfortunately, Shooter's World powders are /have been hard to find, since I discovered I really like them.

should add that I used to buy WWB ammo for the cases, so I'd have some to load. Have plenty of cases now, in all the calibers I own..
Happy to say I won't be buying ANY factory ammo , ...esp. @ current prices.