Win. Model 70 XTR, .270 Win. Gun problem? Ammo problem?

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Several years ago I had perforated primers apparently from the firing pin and gun was taken to smith, but I don't recall the exact problem diagnosed. I think I posted the problem here but could'nt find a record. Don't know if that is related to what happened below.

I Shot the rifle yesterday. This rifle was zeroed in November and two months later is shooting 4 inches to right, and wildly big groups. That's a lot to move in 2 months, no?

Shot Factory R-P 150 gr Core-Lokt. Got blow back on 2/4 rounds. 2 cases perforated, tiny holes in same place.

Next two shots were hand loads. Primers backed out 0.01 in. I stopped shooting.

Is this a head space issue? http://www.sinclairintl.com/GunTech/Headspace-Why-It-s-Important-How-To-Check-It/detail.htm?lid=17125

Planning on taking to rifle to Steve Baldwin for opinion. Any thoughts from you guys?

Thanks, K

pre_1484921447__270_primers.jpg

pre_1484921562__270_perforated_brass.jpg

pre_1484921632__backed_out_primers.jpg

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Looks like loose primer pockets on the blow back.

Pull the firing pin and check the tip for damage or burrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow. That's weird. Have you inspected the chamber? The little hole in the same spot on the case would make me think that it's unsupported there? Interesting.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Mitch Gibson said:
listen to Steve Baldwin, ignore the internet
I would do whatever Morgan Freeman told me.

Interestingly I can see some sort of aberration in the chamber. Looks like a little grainy thing. Who knows?

The only other Model 70 I owned was a late model Supergrade in 300 Win Mag. It was a lemon of a shooter replete with 12# trigger. Even after a trigger job, bedding, and a year of hand loading I never could get it to shoot less than 2" at 100 yards. I feel some sort of bad Winchester karma coming on. Clonazepam stat!

and there was a recall on RP ammo of the same ilk, but a different lot no.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts