Wilson or STI?

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
Have a couple of older STIs. Have never shot any of the new models. So I can't share any experience about the Staccato STIs. All I can say is I am very satisfied with my old STIs. Accurate, reliable and real fun at the range. Even if I ever buy a new one. I will hold on to them.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Same here mine I got new about 2001, it has been one of the best pistols I have owned, very reliable and dependable. From our Ransom Rest at 50 yds it shot as well as my Wilson if not a tad better on some groups, we also had an ammo tester bench mounted then, with 5" hvy barrel same twist and all with 10x scope on a new 700 action we bolted to a steel bench zeroed with dial indicators each shot fired with an air release from a camera. 1.2 oz Jewell trigger. It told the truth. We used grocery sacks for targets just for groups was all. Even fouling shouts when clean.

Last edited:

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I don't know what Wilson is doing right now, but STI employees are working out of their houses, so I don't think too many new pistols are being made right now.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know what Wilson is doing right now, but STI employees are working out of their houses, so I don't think too many new pistols are being made right now.
Just talked to one of the guys at Nighthawk. They are going full blast but are about 6 months behind on orders. Normally about 3-4 but due to the sudden rush on guns, just can't keep up with demand. You can't train a gunsmith to assemble a gun like the Nighthawk very quickly. They don't assembly line the product but rather, one man building one gun. And apparently, plenty of people are willing to pay for this.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had per topic both over 10 yrs would I re buy YES I would both have been excellent shooting and shot very much with almost zero issues they feed anything you load in them just about, this day and time with the STI dropping the singlestacks I would look for a good used one or go Wilson, I bought both new been so long since I called them for anything I cant remember what year but do remember no hold time and got a live English speaking person that knew what they were talking about in depth.
Prior to purchase I also looked at Brown and Baer.

esmith1721

Fanatic
If you had to make the choice between the Wilson EDC x9 or the STI DVC C as your daily CC, which would it be? Both are abut the same price in the $3,000 range. And your reason for your choice.

Decisions, I went with the EDC X9. I think its a better looking and better firearm IMO.

MichaelJ13

New Fanatic
Am glad your experiences were better than mine.

Their three recent failures of not helping me shows what happens when a small company is bought by an investment group that is only interested in maximizing their investment. In other threads I have read that almost all the gunsmiths have been released and replaced by machinists. Customer communications has suffered (others have reported similar problems), and the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.
I had a poor experience with the "new" STI (Staccato) as well after receiving great CS when they were STI. 2 years ago I purchased a new Costa .45 from Dawson Precision their premier distributor. I returned it to Staccato when the red dot site it came with flew off while shooting at the range. The technician at Stacatto repaired and returned but told me over the phone the site wasn't a good match for the pistol, sort of blamed the predecessors (STI). When I got it back the site began wobbling after 100 shots, won't hold aim so I just removed it and shoot with the regular sites. Expected more CS for a $3,500 pistol.

Captiva

Fanatic
Researched, held, and shot both, and went with Wilson Combat EDC X9 for EDC. I am not tough enough, or old enough to shoot a .45

Purely subjective and anecdotal, but the X9 was more effective to me for carry and shooting. I also prefer the True Zero Optic mount versus the P Duo, or getting a P milled by Chamber Custom

off topic:
As for having the gun held in evidence I think I'll have larger issues to deal with than retrieving a firearm used in a lawful self defense shooting. In considering the cost of lost work and legal defense of a justifiable shooting and subsequent civil defense from the deceased's heirs - starting out with a $3,000 deficit versus a $350 used M&P deficit, fortunately, is meaningless to me.

Captiva

Fanatic
You missed my lame attempt at mocking your worship of Allah's calibre. I bet you think the M1 Garand is the greatest battle implement ever devised, the M16 is a poodle shooter, and gun grips are "stocks".

"The only thing I master is my domain". George Costanza.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Play nice guys -

I think both are fine guns. I've got a short list mentioned here, both of these are on my list.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
WILSON is my choice . I have shot them and I love them .

I've only known two STI owners and both had problems out of the box. I'm sure those got resolved, but my confidence in WC reliability is much higher. IMO , it's easier to carry.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Wilsons are very nice, but don't overlook Nighthawk, Baer, and ACW.

There are some really great deals on used Baers right now on Gunbroker.

There is no difference between a new gun and most used ones, other than the latter may need a new front sight, but is already broken-in. Right now I am buying used Baers due to their high-quality and low price tag.

Latest posts