Wilson or STI?

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Saturday we went to the range, my friend also is a big time caster and reloader and likes to change things all per specs though, he had a new 185 gr bullet he was trying and it would not feed in any of his 1911's none, he asked my to try them they were also light loaded, my lucky day here I found out they all functioned my Wilson 100% with about 50+ shot and I shot the smallest 1 hole group of my life with them 5 shot group at 15 yds my old eyes worked again . So he gave all of them to me I will return the brass when shot 400 rounds! I would shoot these in a match they shot so well in my Wilson, they just would not feed in his he brought.
I would not have gone as it was still some wet from all our rain but I wanted to make dope cards for my new 8" AR 9mm which was easy as well as it shoots, this being done for our next Feb matches, we have no class for me so I suggested just list me as NO CLASS, just to short for carbine, heck I just want to shoot it, but now a problem as well as my 1911 shot I am thinking hard on shooting it instead now, problems arise!
With 2 matches possible in Feb due to 5 Saturdays may do 1 with each. I do really enjoy shooting the shorty. Still shooting 100% with any ammo or mags in it, I do need to try some steel cased though to see as I like to know what all mine will shoot if ever needs to be done. One time in a Ransom Rest my STI shot the best it ever did with Wolf steel cased we were all very caught off guard there. 50 yd groups and 25 both. 10 shot.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Lately I have been carrying my G26 quite a lot just to try it, does very well . My neighbor was involved in a shooting home invasion several yrs back and got her weapon back in about 3 months a Winchester 37 16 GA, all she had then the deputies brought her a , a handgun and got her training and a LTC permit with her 4" S&W 66.

Last edited:

Legion489

Fanatic
If your friend ordered a "$2500 Wilson pistol" it must have been 25 years ago because outside of the Barettas I don't think they have made a $2500 pistol for a couple decades.

***** If you say so. All I know is what the guy said, but it has been several years. Maybe he was so excited because he met Bill when Bill was here and got a deal. Would you have been happier if the guy bought a $3500/$4500 pistol that didn't work? If so, why?

.........And I bet they fixed it without question, without cost and at light speed because errors / problems happen and it is how you deal with problems that builds your reputation. Also, once it was fixed, I'll bet it was fixed better than new and permanently and returned shipping paid.

**** Whether they fixed it or not is not the issue, the point is it was never test fired and was defective, it should never been allowed out of the factory. Whether "all" Wilson pistols are test fired at the factory or not I have no personal knowledge. All I do have personal knowledge of is that this one obviously wasn't. Passed over? Mistake? I don't know, but it didn't work straight from Wilson. Period.

What Bill Wilson did EXCEPTIONALLY WELL is completely change the expectation of what a quality, absolutely reliable, semi custom gun was while building a hundred million dollar company on cash flow.

**** And this has what to do with the item under discussion? Oh, wait, it doesn't, so why the caps? The pistol wasn't "absolutely reliable" either, not even "sort a/kinda/iffy", it didn't work. Period. Sorry, I thought there was a point trying to being made here.

As a side note........it's interesting that some people seem to buy every problem gun (car, ring, dishwasher, pick an item).......or have problems with every gun they buy while some people never have an issue.

**** True. And this has what to do with the item under discussion? Oh, wait, it doesn't. It wasn't my gun. So why did you post that? I mean was there a point? If so, what was it?

I have had a dozen Detonics Combat Masters and I always thought they were the finest backup 45 made. I don't think I ever had one jam and I carried them for twenty plus years until I upgraded capacity to Glock

**** If you say so. And some people like Ford over Chevy and think they are the finest, that's a personal opinion, not fact, which means nothing. So you claim you liked Detonics, this has what to do with the item under discussion or what I said? Oh, wait, it doesn't. Still not sure why you posted that unrelated comment either, but if it makes you happy.....

Most gun companies (let alone Wilson) have such good customer service they repair issues for free even when they are not responsible. Some customers are bad customers.........just say'n

**** I wonder what "most gun companies" you are referring to and if you have personal knowledge of them, or returned a gun to them for service. Also it's hard for me to know what all this
unrelated verbiage is supposed to mean, because it has nothing to do about what I said, or anything else in the real world where the rest of us are forced to deal with things. If you have actual, personal knowledge, of the gun companies you are referring to then I would like to see a list of them. Some people are the type who post but have no knowledge of what is going on, and no point other than to post unrelated posts to hear themselves make noise... just say'n.

*** Obviously this has hit a nerve and you are overly excited about it. Exactly what is your interest here, or need to be "right", when you have no knowledge, or have not shown any knowledge in any case, of what happened and posted a pointless reply. Your comment "I also know that in my 45+ years of haunting gun stores, in every store there are guys that are there at the counter every day just to kill time and they know everything..........and never buy anything. Know all the stats on every gun but never owned one. Would buy (x,y or z) but they cut corners. Always worked for their mom but know better how the inventors or builders should have done it. And they would buy a gun but their mom (or maybe wife) won't allow them in the house........." is the only one I think you have personal knowledge of. I feel sorry for your mother and wife too.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My Wilson was $1750 new CQB about 25-27 yrs ago new I am the original owner very low SN# been 100 % reliable my front sight did come off but was fixed in 2 days, same day air shipping, mailed Monday back and shot it Wednesday.

Legion489

Fanatic
L

I don't believe a Wilson pistol left the factory that didn't work.....
At any price

Well, that fact based and well thought out reply sure put me in my place! Glad you stuck to facts and didn't go all Dave Hogg or Creep Joe Biden on me and dare me to a fist fight or whatever you crazy dems are always threatening people with.

Last edited:

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, that fact based and well thought out reply sure put me in my place! Glad you stuck to facts and didn't go all Dave Hogg or Creep Joe Biden on me and dare me to a fist fight or whatever you crazy dems are always threatening people with.

Projecting much are we?

Legion489

Fanatic
Wow John, your killer comebacks are killing me here. Probably because I either laugh so hard that someone would actually post what you do and consider it a serious come back, or shake my head for the same reason. Here's an idea: move out of your mommy's basement, get a job and get a life. That should be enough to keep you busy for the next few years.

Last edited:

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Whatever gun you get, STI seems to be having some teething problems, and I would not buy anything from them for right now until they get their ducks in-order. You won't go wrong w/ a Wilson, Baer, or Nighthawk.

Reactions: STI

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Whatever gun you get, STI seems to be having some teething problems, and I would not buy anything from them for right now until they get their ducks in-order. You won't go wrong w/ a Wilson, Baer, or Nighthawk.
What problem are they haVing? With what particular line? Based on what?

Please advise

Thanks

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Been shooting mine now almost 12 years broke slide stop at the 10 year or so mark had a free new one in 2 days zero regrets.

gundoc1988

Fanatic
As an owner of both I've come to prefer the STI. I suggest you get your hands on each and see what's a better fit. To me the STI just feels more natural in my hand. Originally I didn't care for the grip on the EDCX9, I swapped the medium backstrap for the large on the EDCX9 and was able to work through my grip issues. Was comfortable enough with the EDC that I've picked up a couple more... A short time ago I purchased the STI and from the first time, I held it felt natural. I'm planning on selling off a couple of the EDCX9 to replace with STI guns.
The Wilson is a fine gun but I greatly prefer the grip on the STI. I'm not alone, several EDCX9's on the used market for similar reasons. To be frank the majority of X9 owners I've spoken too love it. I suggest you get your hands one each and see which you prefer..
Right about "test drive", all how rhe gun feels and performs for the intended purpose(s) I have shot many rounds through both, and love both, but each has an intended purpose, and should have ot be guided by "buddy badgering". I've worked for both companies, but as a EDC, defense, offense, blah, bs lah. Wilson CQB.

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't even consider this when buying a gun . Buy what you want to shoot and carry . If one goes to trial the last thing you will think about is price of the gun . Now back to actual topic . both guns great choices . Checked out a STI Sentinel Premier . Excellent . This is also the last year for it .
Thanks for being the only person who stayed on topic.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
What problem are they haVing? With what particular line? Based on what?

Sorry, I don't get here very often.

I am having lots of communication problems w/ the company (e.g. ordering a gun [failed attempt], buying mags at a discounted rate [no success after 4-weeks of playing email and phone tag], and getting a broken gun fixed [no joy as there are NO gunsmiths to do non-warranty repairs]. I decline to go into details, but have never had such problems w/ another gun company. I regret buying the gun and would sell it in a second if I had not ordered $400 of leather for it.

It really appears that there is no one at the business calling the shots, nor is there any accountability. The difference in Customer Service between them and (for example) Nighthawk is greater than night-and-day. I broke my NH GRP last year and contacted them. They were there the I called, the repair process was started, and they called me back to let me know what was going on during the process when they had the gun. NH's Customer Service is top-shelf, vs STI's non-existent Customer Service. Sad.

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry, I don't get here very often.

I am having lots of communication problems w/ the company (e.g. ordering a gun [failed attempt], buying mags at a discounted rate [no success after 4-weeks of playing email and phone tag], and getting a broken gun fixed [no joy as there are NO gunsmiths to do non-warranty repairs]. I decline to go into details, but have never had such problems w/ another gun company. I regret buying the gun and would sell it in a second if I had not ordered $400 of leather for it.

It really appears that there is no one at the business calling the shots, nor is there any accountability. The difference in Customer Service between them and (for example) Nighthawk is greater than night-and-day. I broke my NH GRP last year and contacted them. They were there the I called, the repair process was started, and they called me back to let me know what was going on during the process when they had the gun. NH's Customer Service is top-shelf, vs STI's non-existent Customer Service. Sad.
I found STI customer service to be excellent . I read they had come out with a new recoil system for the Lawman 3.0 . I called and asked about it , they were more than happy to send me one at no charge . They also included take down tools for free . The only customer service I've ever had an issue with is Colt , but that's for another thread . I've dealt with Wilson and Kimber also , both excellent to deal with .

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Been awhile but my 1 time with STI service was excellent also. The only thing my 45 shipped with the thin grips I did NOT order and had it on the invoice they did finally swap them for me and bushings also. That was my experience and a very trouble free pistol for lots of years now.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Am glad your experiences were better than mine.

Their three recent failures of not helping me shows what happens when a small company is bought by an investment group that is only interested in maximizing their investment. In other threads I have read that almost all the gunsmiths have been released and replaced by machinists. Customer communications has suffered (others have reported similar problems), and the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
It has been over 5 yrs since I contacted them STI I felt when they dropped so many models something was very wrong.