Wilson or STI?

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
If you had to make the choice between the Wilson EDC x9 or the STI DVC C as your daily CC, which would it be? Both are abut the same price in the $3,000 range. And your reason for your choice.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't care for either . Probably go with a D.W. Guardian for half the money , and quality is on par with either . Another good choice is CZ 75 compact , Kimber Aegis , Super Carry Pro , S.A. EMP , all good choices . The CZ is probably one of the best $600.00 guns out there . JMHO
Have a CZ P 01 that I sent in to Cajun Gun Works for some fine tuning. Great gun.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
My CX 75C came from a gunsmith who was reorganizing his collection. Great pistol! A little on the heavy side, I don't carry it much, but a heck of a shooter on the range. It shot so well, I added a Rami, and a P10 C to the fold. One of my daughters is carrying the Rami now.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Have both last week shot the STI in match over the Wilson, next time the other, both 100% since day 1 new both are excellent, pick one. Last month the Wilson shot before that my Para P14. Like them all.

Reactions: nod

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Took my Wilson EDC x9 and my new STI DVC-C to the range yesterday. 9mm 115 grain Sellier & Bellot ammo. Both grouped well from 7 to 25 yards but the Wilson had a much stronger recoil than the STI and is noticeably lighter, and with a smaller grip, for most body types, easier to conceal. The STI was almost POA at 25 yards and had to hold the Wilson higher to get thoracic shots. Trigger press, by feel, was about the same. I found the red fiber optic sight on the STI easier to pick up than the green sight on the Wilson. There was bright sunlight so both were highly visible It could have been the rear sight configuration. Wilson uses his "Battle Sight" which is U shaped and the STI is a square notch, which I preferred. If I had to pick only one gun to keep, after only 200 rounds in the STi vs a few thousand in the Wilson, would pick the STI. In my hands it just handled better, less recoil and quicker follow up shots while staying on target and quicker to acquire my target. Not getting rid of either gun, for both have a place. The Wilson definitely easier to conceal and of course, is a Wilson. I can definitely see why the STI is such a desired gun, and difficult to get some of their models. A premier STI dealer told my that when a new model comes out (the Jack Wick 3, for example) he may be only allocated 5 guns, which sell out before they arrive. He got five more, and the same thing, sold before they hit the shelves. He said that he could no longer get any more, but having 10 to sell was a real bonus from the retailer's perspective. And as they say, "to each his own".

steelshooter

New Fanatic
Wilson and STI are both excellent guns. Don't forget Dan Wesson! But just remember if you ever have to use your weapon in a self defense situation you will probably never get it back.
I carry a Glock 26. An excellent choice and I don't have to worry about it.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
My Kimber Aegis fell apart on the range.
Wilson and STI are both excellent guns. Don't forget Dan Wesson! But just remember if you ever have to use your weapon in a self defense situation you will probably never get it back.

Your Glock 26 is 1 hour of lawyer time and the STI is five or six. Either way, neither is very significant in terms of cost to avoid a grand jury and is insignificant if there is a trial.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't even consider this when buying a gun . Buy what you want to shoot and carry . If one goes to trial the last thing you will think about is price of the gun . Now back to actual topic . both guns great choices . Checked out a STI Sentinel Premier . Excellent . This is also the last year for it .

Sk8r

Active Fanatic
If you had to make the choice between the Wilson EDC x9 or the STI DVC C as your daily CC, which would it be? Both are abut the same price in the $3,000 range. And your reason for your choice.

Neither for serious ED CC; as others have pointed out, if you use it you'll probably lose it. Any Glock or "Glock-alike" costs about 15% of either of those, and is reliable and durable to boot. Cost is always an issue for most people. Yes, a legal matter will dwarf the cost of hardware, but why start 2.5k in the hole?

All that said, I also agree that for general purposes such as practice at the range, etc.,everyone should buy the gun(s) they want and that work best for them :)

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Getting a bit off course here, but I'm much more concerned about my guns accuracy and dependability and how I shoot it under stress than what happens to the gun if I'm in a confrontation. We know a Glock's dependability, so no argument there. At one point 60-70% of the police departments carried the 17 or similar model. My department issued Sig 226's. I had permission to carry my own gun, which I shot better, which was a Wilson CQB 5" in .45 acp. I was also in charge of firearms training, which didn't hurt. Off duty carried a Wilson Ultralight in 9mm. Absolutely no concern about losing a $2-3,000 gun if in a shooting. I was concerned about going home that night and my personal survival. I'm a civilian now, and the same holds true. My CC gun is a Glock 19, Wilson EDC x9 and am shifting to an STI DVC-C after a couple of thousand rounds are through it. I can get another gun but have only one life. Still am going with what I shoot best. In the Marines didn't have a choice of which weapon I carried. Now I do.

Garrett Opolko

Fanatic
Don't care for either . Probably go with a D.W. Guardian for half the money , and quality is on par with either . Another good choice is CZ 75 compact , Kimber Aegis , Super Carry Pro , S.A. EMP , all good choices . The CZ is probably one of the best $600.00 guns out there . JMHO
I own a Gaurdian and after 1000 rounds it runs like butter.Very reliable and very accurate.p.s I also carry a CZp10c, and CZ p01

Rafe

New Fanatic
Carry my CZ 75 D PCR almost every day. Hate to say i"ve stepped away from my 1911's for the full sized CZ 75 stainless or my CZ compacts for daily carry. My Colts have become safe Queens but i still love to shoot them when i can.

xTeleDude

New Fanatic
As an owner of both I've come to prefer the STI. I suggest you get your hands on each and see what's a better fit. To me the STI just feels more natural in my hand. Originally I didn't care for the grip on the EDCX9, I swapped the medium backstrap for the large on the EDCX9 and was able to work through my grip issues. Was comfortable enough with the EDC that I've picked up a couple more... A short time ago I purchased the STI and from the first time, I held it felt natural. I'm planning on selling off a couple of the EDCX9 to replace with STI guns.
The Wilson is a fine gun but I greatly prefer the grip on the STI. I'm not alone, several EDCX9's on the used market for similar reasons. To be frank the majority of X9 owners I've spoken too love it. I suggest you get your hands one each and see which you prefer..

RStone

Well-Known Fanatic
I am a Wilson Combat fan. I have owned NH, EdBrown, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Guncrafter and WC. All have been traded except the WC and my collection has grown to 9 of their 1911's. The trigger and the feel of the slide as it floats down the frame's rails , like on ball bearings, convinced me and I never looked back.

David D

Active Fanatic

My exact same reasoning...I carry a pistol I can shoot well but won't miss if I never get it back.

xTeleDude

New Fanatic
I am a Wilson Combat fan. I have owned NH, EdBrown, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Guncrafter and WC. All have been traded except the WC and my collection has grown to 9 of their 1911's. The trigger and the feel of the slide as it floats down the frame's rails , like on ball bearings, convinced me and I never looked back.
EDCX9 isn't a 1911, doesn't feel like one...