Wife decided she wants to carry...what?

NDiekman

Fanatic
I know the answer already before I ask the question. The wife decided that she wants to carry. I don't know what to suggest to her. She knows next to nothing about handguns. What to buy? I know, I know, I know...I need to take her to the range and rent a bunch of different guns in different calibers...but I'd really like to narrow it down to a few. Suggestions? I was thinking at least 1 J frame, Kahr P__ , perhaps "carry" 1911 (kimber style) and of course my M&P 40c. I was going to try to keep her at .40 or better, but I'm open to suggestions on that too. It needs to be "purse-able" or very slim.

What do you guys think?

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Im of the opinion that a carry pistol with a safety is asking to die, especially for an inexperienced shooter. If you are going to have her carry something semi auto then she needs to know how to use and and clear jams and run the gun. However a revolver doesnt jam, if it misfires you just pull the trigger again. It will fire every time. If Im going to put a pistol in my wifes hands, its going to be simple, effective and easy to use. Just my 2c

ps-I carry a smith 637

dennishoddy

I've introduced several women to different handguns, and will say that not every woman is the same in their preference. Your right in saying that you need to rent guns and let her try each out.

At the Ponca Range we do the Women on Target program where they get to shoot everyting from a .22 rimfire, 9mm, .45ACP, AR15 in .223, and a .50BMG Barret sniper rifle.

Personally I've seen the women with smaller hands love the Keltec P3AT, but hate the Kahr CW-40. Both have been rated "snappy recoil" but the smaller hands can get a better grip.

Other women like the .45.

Borrow guns, rent guns, and let her tell you what is best for her. Even if its a .22 rimfire. a half dozen shots on target with a .22 is deadly, vs a gun that she can't manage.

Any gun is better than none.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
My wife likes the simplicity of a .38 snubby revolver. It doesn't have mags, safeties, or any of that fancy stuff. She can see the hammer go back and forward and watch the cylinder rotate so she understand the operation. She probably can't hit crap with it but it's not like she is gonna hit anything better with my custom 2011 either.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I would suggest to get started the revo. I would never start a new shooter on a 40.
A 3" M65 or similar would be a good place to start looking. These days with materials and ports and such just remember that the blast from ports might cause a flinch and a lt gun easier to carry maybe enough to cause a flinch.
Start out slow and light on ammo and build confidence and then slowly increase the defensive performance of the ammo. This could take some time depending on gun and person - don't rush it - have fun with it. To this day the most fun I have with firearms is just plinking. Regardless get her some type of target hat is going to react when shot for the motivational factor, but only after you think she can hit it. If not, you might cause her to just give up or get errked and take the process that much longer.
A 38 and 9x19 is fine and is where I would start with a defensive handgun or 32 H&R or 327MAG. A compact 380 not a sub/mini 380 is okay. Walther tends to have a thin backstrap and sharp edges. A Sig 230/2 - well its a big gun compared toto days sub compacts and even some compacts but is about the easiest recoiling 380 I have found while maintaining a smaller size..
Whatever you decide don't make the mistake of getting the gun for you and take it slow and easy with coaching and ammo.
As a parting thought many times the husband is the worst for training be it driving or shooting. Might want to look into having someone with training skills (not shooting skills) give her some instruction.
Best for you and your wife in this adventure.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
I dont think 40 is a good idea. The recoil is sharp and hard to control with smaller hands. You want something she isn't afraid to shoot and can control the recoil and put hits on target.

tbird63b

Well-Known Fanatic
RUGER LCR, just saying. My wife shoots a variety of guns. from 22lr to 308 savage fp10. But she loves the light weight of the LCR, and the fact that she doesn't have to worry about Slap Rack Bang. its just squeeze the freakin trigger to the F&**er aint moving anymore.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
Screw all that. Dude, tell your wife she needs to get a big purse and carry this....

406228_356871807673343_127927477234445_1431581_1449735270_n.jpg

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Get her with a woman who shoots and get out of the way. She will decide and have a better chance of being happy with it and actually carrying it. A lot of guys make the mistake of getting involved in the process, it's like trying to teach your girlfriend or wife to play golf, big mistake. Been there, done that, on both counts.

Chambers

actual GM
I was going to try to keep her at .40 or better, but I'm open to suggestions on that too. It needs to be "purse-able" or very slim.

I won't even carry a compact/sub .40, much less recommend one to a woman. The ability to make rapid, accurate follow-up shots is too important. I would look at a M&P9c or CW9. They are compact, but still have enough real estate to establish a proper grip.

Of course none of these decisions make any difference if she doesn't learn to shoot it, and maintain that ability at the range.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
Just in my experience, a snubby .38 special and pocket 380's are harsher in the hands in terms of the snap than a compact .40 or 9mm. I can shoot a .40 all day, but after a few rounds of even a .38 special out of an airweight or polymer snubbie and I'm done.

A couple of the girls I know who carry started with a .38 revolver because that's what their boyfriend/husband/brother/dad told them to, but have now switched to 9mm or .40 semi-autos. They actually hated shooting the snubbies, but kept it because they were "told" that's what they should shoot, but once they made the switch to a compact semi-auto, they now actually enjoy shooting more. The recoil may "push" more, but it's less harsh of a snap in their hands and they can also shoot more accurately with it.

NDiekman

Fanatic
Taking all this into consideration, but for the record, the last time I took my wife shooting, she LOVED a rented 1911 and was a good shot with it. It is just simply too big for her to carry on a daily basis...by her own admission. She can handle a lead slinger. Ultimately, of course the decision will be hers. I do agree, WE need to find her a gun savy girl friend.

This is so much fun.

Prdator

Keepers Concealment
You have the idea, let HER pick it out!! But this might get you closer.
From all the classes Ive taught or attended, I would suggest these gun in or about in this order.

S&W M&P 9mm,full size, Pro, or compact. ( my wife uses the Full size for training and carries the compact.) And Ive only had one lady say they like another gun better than the M&P......

H&K P30
Glock 17,19
Kahr P9
Sig 226 or 229 9mm.
1911 9mm,
J frame.
some of the small 22-380, Breatta, ruger, etc.

On another note go to a training class with her!!!!! there are several good ones around.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
all of ya'll have it wrong.. what you do is buy about 7 to 10 guns and the let her pick one, then when she says to take them back you tell her there is a no return policy on guns and you just have to keep the rest for yourself...

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
all of ya'll have it wrong.. what you do is buy about 7 to 10 guns and the let her pick one, then when she says to take them back you tell her there is a no return policy on guns and you just have to keep the rest for yourself...
I take my hat off to your great wisdom.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
If she is savvy or will be putting a lot of time in on the pistol all you have to worry about is the grip, if she can manipulate a semi-auto both with strength and finger length which partially goes back to grip.
For a new shooter especially a timid one and one that wont be spending the time to get proficient, a revo is the best bet. Again 3" M65 style is great and wont recoil anywhere near what a 40 does nor does a steel frame J frame with 38s and there is always the SP101. A G27 barely has more bite than a G26 to me. Please if looking at subcompacts do not overlook the G26. Only complaint I hear about them is were to put your pinky. You don't need to put it anywhere just curl it under the mag.
The choice is hers and that is why I stated the pistol is for her and not you earlier. A friends 80-85 pound mom carries a Judge. To big but it is her gun and that is what she wanted. She has to cock it due to strength and is slow due to hand size, but she can hit what she aims at and it is what she wants.
Don’t over look the lady Smiths in both revo and semi-auto.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey, new from Shot show 2012 is the Springfield XD micro single stack .45 ACP. About as thin and small as a small 1911. http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/springfield-armory-xds/

davek

Active Fanatic
The advice to let her choose her own is right on the money.
My wife chose a Springfield XD9 subcompact. The wider grip made the recoil easier to handle.
With 13 rounds on Speer 124 Grain +P Short Barrel in the magazine I think she's pretty well armed.
And, since she chose it, it's hers and she carries it.

Latest posts