Why the 1911?

Sundance

Active Fanatic
So what makes the 1911 such a great gun to have? I've yet to shoot one but I'm curious, I see a lot of comments about them. Is one manufacture better than the other? I presently have a Glock 19, Springfield XD 40, Bersa .380 and a Kel-Tec P11. I think I favor the Springfield right now.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The trigger and the accuracy of my 1911 and 2011 guns is amazing. I could not even come close to the same performance with my Glocks. Kurt Miller was right again! Plus they are sexy as hell.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Accuracy, trigger, ergonomics, customizability and something like 100 years of service...boom

45recoil

likes to party
They are the only gun I've ever called " gorgeous".
That IS a legitimate reason.

If you're evet on this side of town holler at me, you can shoot my SA loaded and caspian built by barry greyson.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
It works... As long as you stay in the realm of factory tolerances
Custom guns that are tuned for shooting groups give reliability a black eye... Reliable guns can shoot open groups ...a correctly fitted pistol does both.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
So what makes the 1911 such a great gun to have? I've yet to shoot one but I'm curious, I see a lot of comments about them. Is one manufacture better than the other? I presently have a Glock 19, Springfield XD 40, Bersa .380 and a Kel-Tec P11. I think I favor the Springfield right now.
There are many nifty points, but it's the trigger. What do you do with a gun? Align it and pull the trigger. They all line up on target equally, but the triggering separates things pretty cleanly.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Cause they are sexy

2011-11-29_20-25-17_996.jpg

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

The single action trigger allows for a shorter pull and more consistant feel. as you pull back you find the hard spot and then boom, that is something you can train to alot quicker than a long double action pull.

a good custom gun will shoot 1/2 groups at 25 yards with match ammo all day, a lot of other guns HK, sig and some others will do that as well, but pound for pound out of the box it takes a lot to beat even factory accuarcy.

The only thing that most people dont like is the safety systems, the thumb safety takes some getting use to but its no big deal. Dont ever let anyone tell you that carrying cocked and locked is dangerous, if they say that they are dumb....the end.

Remember you are buying a military weapon designed to shoot 230 grain ball ammo, don't freak out if it wont feed semi-wads or hollow points, it's not designed to do that. Call a good smith and it can be corrected fairly cheap and you will be able to feed what ever you want (almost).

A good reil- job is always a plus and can go a long way for the money. The biggest question I get asked is, why do they need so much work out of the box, again you are converting a military weapon to a civilan defense gun, in my six years in corp I never once carried hollow points.

ergo, it was designed to be used by small hands, med, and big hands, had to work for any g.i. out of the box. Now with the aftermarket on these guns you can make one fit your hand like a glove.

Buy good magazines, again buy good magazines, even 4k customs will fail with **** mag's.

Good Luck,

A

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

wilson rogers 47d 8 rounders ​
chip mcmormick 8 round power plus mags ​
in 45 acp ​
9mm, 38 super and 40/10 mm run wilson mags... ​

>FYI<​

Latest posts