Why doens't Tri City become a Sanctioned USPSA Club

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I have shot the Tri City match a few times and really enjoyed it. I am still very confused as to why they don't take the USPSA sanctioning seriously and become a part of and support the organization whose game they are playing. To me its almost like owning a gun and not being a member of the NRA. You just gotta do both!

Their match is getting close to the 2nd largest in the state. One recent month they had almost 50 shooters. They regularly have 30+ shooters every month. They could easily get 75 if the club took the sport more seriously and built some more bays and safety areas. They could use the money to buy some more targets and props. I think the guys that run the matches want to grow and do more but it doesn't seem like the club is on board?

I woudl also like to see some USPSA certified RO's at thier matches too. They have a bunch of NRA RSO's but that class doesn't teach you how to score or run a USPSA style match?

Anybody on here a member down there that is in the know? USPSA has got to be the largest/fastest growing shooting sport currently.

The reason I care is that I would like to have another BIG match to shoot close to home.

What do you guys think?

M

Mitch Harrington

There is a very simple reason why they don't want to be USPSA sanctioned Jesse. Then they can't do things their way. They would HAVE to follow the USPSA rulebook.

I saw more safety violations at the last match than I have seen in the last year of shooting I've done. Handling ammo, mags and loaded mags in the safety area. No muzzle discipline. On the other hand, I had the "RO" tell me I couldn't stand in the shooting box until the range was clear. Now, I wasn't handling a firearm, I just couldn't stand in the 3'X3' box until everybody was done pasting. However, it was OK for me to stand one foot to the left of the shooting box.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
There is a very simple reason why they don't want to be USPSA sanctioned Jesse. Then they can't do things their way. They would HAVE to follow the USPSA rulebook.

I saw more safety violations at the last match than I have seen in the last year of shooting I've done. Handling ammo, mags and loaded mags in the safety area. No muzzle discipline. On the other hand, I had the "RO" tell me I couldn't stand in the shooting box until the range was clear. Now, I wasn't handling a firearm, I just couldn't stand in the 3'X3' box until everybody was done pasting. However, it was OK for me to stand one foot to the left of the shooting box.

I live less than 5 minutes from here - and this is 100% why I never plan to EVER shoot a match there - I go to matches with the feeling that I am safe - I feel like if I go to one of these matches - unless something changes - I'm playing a game of Russian Roulette.

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
Tri City was the first IPSC club in the state of Oklahoma. Their matches were well-attended. There were a number of safety incidents at a state IPSC championship in the 1980's. At that one match a number of shooters muzzled the gallery. The final straw for many was the ND in the crowded parking by a match official.

There was an attempt to improve safety by in future matches by the new management, who took over after the events of the aforementioned day. I've thought that the slide into non-sanctioning probably had more to do with the lack of bays than anything else.

A NRA RSO certification does not prepare an individual to be a quality action sport safety officer. Activity-specific range officer training is a better route to ensuring a safe, efficient match.

Rolando

Active Fanatic
I'm not a member there but it would be the closest match to me. It would a lot easier for me to make it to a Tri City match. Sure would like to see it fixed.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
The crappy thing is, that some of the stages they run are actually pretty fun. They do some crazy steel stages down there. Wish it would count for USPSA. And then there are the side matches that can be cool. Hopefully they will get their act together some day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
I recently got into IPSC/USPSA by doing the matches at Tri-city. Fortunately, there have been great shooters like chambers and anderson out there to help show new competitors like myself how it needs to be done. Being that it is about a mile from my home, I need that practice for matches like H&H held last week...

jtischauser

Next time you shoot Tri city make sure to mention that they should become sanctioned and Ad steel challenge too

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i have heard numerous horror stories about safety there and they would have to clean it up if they were to do USPSA... i would love to attend matches there, but with the safety issues it is not worth the risk....

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
58 people were at H&H last weekend and I heard a rumor of someone actually having to be booted out due to safety issue in a prior event. Safety concerns are going to happen, fortunately, everyone involved wants it as safe as possible.

jtischauser

58 people were at H&H last weekend and I heard a rumor of someone actually having to be booted out due to safety issue in a prior event. Safety concerns are going to happen, fortunately, everyone involved wants it as safe as possible.

One of the top shooters wAs Disqualified at last weekends match at H&H. It happens to the best of them. That's actually one of the safety issues with Tri City. The don't take the safety rules serious enough to DQ anyone for unsafe acts. By not having consequences for unsafe actions those actions become more prevalent.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I have my own opinion about TRGC and I will keep it to myself. :mellow:

Although I must say that I have never felt unsafe or in any danger while at H&H or Heartland or OKCGC or USSA. :)

imacgyver

Founding Member
Heard about some bubbas at tri-city and maybe some score fixin - hell even Justin beat chambers on stage 3 at 3-city

Latest posts