taurusfan

Fanatic
What drives you to prep? Why do you take the time, spend the money and energy to do it? So many in our society are just fine with not worrying about being prepared, having the "someone will take care of me" mentality but you don't. Why not?

When I am working with a new prep client (I'm a preparedness consultant) one thing I ask them to do is list out what they are preparing for. It often helps better focus them by writing them out. Here in Oklahoma there are many challenges that we face. For me these are some of my concerns in no particular order.

Loss of income
Severe weather (after all we NEVER have bad weather in OK do we? :eek: )
Natural disasters
Technological events
Terror incidents

We need to have a plan and work at it. Do you have a plan?

dennishoddy

What drives you to prep? Why do you take the time, spend the money and energy to do it? So many in our society are just fine with not worrying about being prepared, having the "someone will take care of me" mentality but you don't. Why not?

When I am working with a new prep client (I'm a preparedness consultant) one thing I ask them to do is list out what they are preparing for. It often helps better focus them by writing them out. Here in Oklahoma there are many challenges that we face. For me these are some of my concerns in no particular order.

Loss of income
Severe weather (after all we NEVER have bad weather in OK do we? :eek: )
Natural disasters
Technological events
Terror incidents

We need to have a plan and work at it. Do you have a plan?

I think most have some sort of a plan. It may not be a concious make-a-checklist, and get ready kind of plan, but life in general, especially in this day and time have got a lot more people thinking about it.

Loss of income- that's tough for a lot of folks in this economy. They live paycheck to paycheck, with not much chance to put extra money away. Income can be defined in different ways though. One can barter, or provide a service for income.
Severe weather (after all we NEVER have bad weather in OK do we? :eek: ) Put in a cellar, or at least make sure every person in the family knows where to go in case of a tornado. Some folks don't even have any idea where to go, even with the non-stop broadcasting our news channels provide.
Natural disasters- wildfires, and the possible earthquake that causes damage come to mind. Again, you need to have communication with the family to make sure you get important items out of the house if there is time. If not bust a window and get out. My Uncle was a 30 year fireman. He said it was sad to see kids die in a house fire next to a window. Even at their last moments, they were afraid to break the window to escape, for fear their parents would be mad.
Technological events- God forbid facebook goes away.
Terror incidents-I probably have a little more concern about this than some. Working in a power plant, and living two miles away from the biggest oil/gas refinery in Oklahoma. Both potential targets. Not much anybody can do against a terrorist that is determined to succeed, and is not a total dumb-ass.

jcbfrntz

Fanatic
Why do I prepare? Honestly just to be prepared...There are so many scenarios that could easily happen right now that it just seems like common (uncommon?) sense to have supplies set aside, as well as a network of people you can depend on if something really bad were to happen.

twobravo

Fanatic
I live in a rural area and I've always thought that it was pretty much expected to be prepared for whatever comes your way. I have always been interested in preparing for emergencies though. It was knowledge handed down by my parents to me, knowledge I gained in scouts, civil air patrol, jrotc, and programs like that in my youth. Most instructors were veterans of some sort and had life experience they passed on to us. Growing up in a hurricane zone and living through Hurricane Andrew basically told me I was on the right track with my whole "readiness" thing.

Shortly after that I had a family to look after, I still have young children to look after, and I think of it as more of a lifestyle than something I set out to do specifically.

TribeSurvival

Fanatic
Someone told Me... If you FAIL to "Prepare".! Your PREPARING to "Fail".! So I'm doing a General Generic Preparation. That includes food storage... Water storage... Primitive weapons... Wild plant foraging... & a lot of Praying.! I believe "Preparing" is a state of mind more that anything.! No matter how much you store or spend, If you don't have the right state of mind... You'll never make it.! Bartering is also a great way of "Surviving"... I also hord items others might want, for trading.! It become a "Lifestyle"....

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
Because it a way of life from my parents and their parents. My Grandparents live through hard time and know the meaning of being self sufficient. They taught my parents to be prepared and they have passed it on to me. Although time are easier now, I was always taught you nerver know what's going to happen so prepare for it. I lived in Florida an I know what gas station, lumber suppliers and grocery store look like when and after a storm hits. So I keep what I need to get through but I am not as prepare as the people on preppers with years of food and water.

huntingfool

Fanatic
My no. 1 reason is for tornados. My main issue is loss of electricity. My No. 2 reason is that I am scared the economy will diminish and want to get out of debt. My no. 3 reason is that it is good policy to be self sufficient and not depend on others.

dennishoddy

Yup, in Oklahoma, tornado's and floods are a major concern. We went through a major ice storm with 9 days of no electric. It bothered my wife more than me, and we had family's from town come to stay with us. We kept a fireplace going full bore, and have a water well. I didn't have a generator at the time but did have an inverter that runs from a car battery. It was enough to run the water well pump, and we have a pool out back for additional water. A 5 gallon bucket poured in the toilets will flush them.
I always enjoyed primitive camping with the kids. Took them to a high country desert once in Colorado and made water from cactus with a solar still, etc.
I have a real nice electric start generator now that will power the total electric house.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
Depends on what kind of prep you are talking about. I don't have underground bunkers full of MRE's and tampons but have a good stash of what I think I need.

I figure, if SHTF I'll just go take anything else I want. Bears don't waste their time trying to make honey but they do like how it tastes.