Who uses a 9mm for Competition

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is the basis for this topic title. I have been on the fence of buying either a Glock 34 or Smith and Wesson M&P pro 5inch, I have been going back and forth. My friend called me today to let me know a local shop had a Glock 34 in stock. I have been using my Glock 19 and reload 9mm so I want to stay with the 9mm. I went down to the shop and sure enough they had 2 Glock 34 Gen 3's. No M&P's. I asked to see the G34. The salesman was hesitant and asked why I was looking at the Glock 34. So I told him I shoot some club 3 gun stuff and just shot my first club USPSA and want to get a 5 inch barrel gun. The salesman immediately starts off on a rant of how he used to shoot the Chevy Truck Series for 7 years (sorry no clue what the hell that is) and a 9mm especially the Glock 34 is no good for competition it can't knock steel down.. I told him thanks, but I would like to see the handgun and I'm pretyy sure competitors use the Glock 34 and are successful, which he rolled his eyes to and said I doubt that . I also informed him my Glock 19 has had no problem knocking steel plates off stands and poppers down when i have hit them. He then starts saying the 9mm is not accurate and look at a 40 or 45. I explained I have 2 45's one compact (kimber ultra carry) and one full size a P220. I want to see the Glock. He finally opened the case and let me get a feel for it, all the while he's telling me the gun I was holding is not a competition gun over and over and forget 9mm's.

Maybe its me, but last time I checked the 9mm was pretty damn accurate especially in the right shooters hands, and the Glock 34 is used by a good amount of people including professional shooters. Tell me if i'm wrong I'm a big boy I can take it.

Needless to say either way I go in the next month or so in my handgun purchase it will not be with this local shop here. This shop will be my last stop unless I am desperate for something and they have it.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I cant speak for total competition use, but I have the m&p 9c and I think its pretty darn accurate myself, furthermore, for competition, you won't have to worry about where your food is gonna come from next month after buying a box or two of 9mm lol. Of course you said you reload, so it may not be that big of deal.

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
Your salesman is fulla ****. 9mm is where it's at for 3 gun and you can either choose between Production and Limited Minor for USPSA. Don't take advice from gun stores.
This

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Austin T said:
Your salesman is fulla ****. 9mm is where it's at for 3 gun and you can either choose between Production and Limited Minor for USPSA. Don't take advice from gun stores.
Austin's right, all the cool kids are shooting 9mm in 3gun

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
Austin's right, all the cool kids are shooting 9mm in 3gun
+1

Gee I wonder if I can get a reshoot on all the matches I shot with my 9mm 5.25" XDm. :triniti:
That guy is what is commonly called an AssHat

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I shoot a glock 34 and have no trouble with steel.

For him to say that a specific caliber isn't accurate is absurd. A specific model maybe, like "stay away from brand x". Sounds like that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
I use a Glock 34 and have no issues knocking steel down!! Granted I've seen people who back off too much on their powder when reloading and are not able to knock steel down with 9mm---their bad not the pistol! Love my Glock 34 and it totally rocks!! I used to have the XDM 5.25 in 9mm---never had any issues wih it either!!

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Sounds like he might be related to the 6'6" village idiot that works in one of our local stores. Went to their indoor range and he asked to see my firearms before I entered (my first time there). When he saw my "CA Specialized G34" he asked what I used it for. I told him 3 Gun. He then says "Oh. I shoot 4 Gun". :-[

45recoil

likes to party
charger arms said:
Sounds like he might be related to the 6'6" village idiot that works in one of our local stores. Went to their indoor range and he asked to see my firearms before I entered (my first time there). When he saw my "CA Specialized G34" he asked what I used it for. I told him 3 Gun. He then says "Oh. I shoot 4 Gun". :-[
Uh ...yea. pistol/shotgun/rifle/derringer.

Ive been in talks with Stag Arms for the first ever 4gun pro series.

Edit: sorry JT, youre out

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a Glock 24 to shoot USPSA with then I bought a 9mm conversation barrel to shoot 3 gun I have never put the 40 barrel back in

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Yup he was an ass. I figured by posting this it would get the reactions it has, and solidify what i have seen and read.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
charger arms said:
Blarg?!

I ran into a guy who asked me if I shot "4 Gun" one day. I got a puzzled look on my face and said "Uhhh, no."

Get the G34 and don't look back.

Latest posts