Who makes a good PCC 9mm barrel?

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Building a PCC rifle this tax season. Already have most of the parts picked out.

So far I have:
Spike's upper and lower (have)
Voodoo LPK (have)
Hiperfire 24C (have)
JP bolt and SCS (need to order)
MagPul stock and other parts (have)
Hahn precision mag block (need to order)
C Products mags (plan to get Taylor Freelance extensions for them) (have several)
Samson Evo rail. (have)

Main thing I am missing is a barrel. Who makes a good one for a decent price.

Side note. I'm using Colt mags instead of Glock mags because I already have them. Bought a crap load of them prior to the election just in case Hillary won.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Other than JP, it appears every 9mm carbine barrel maker has determined that chambers requiring we load our ammo short is what we need.

So if you want to reload most of the bullets we use in 9mm, you load short.

I have a PSA barrel. Good price and so far nice and accurate. But I'm also loading 147 gr X-treme bullets to an OAL of 1.085". Heavy coated bullets are pretty much ruled out.

So you have a choice. Buy a JP barrel and load your bullet of choice or buy anyone else's barrel and place an order for a throat reamer. If you buy a nitrided barrel, plan on a hard reaming job (several have taken up to 2-1/2 hrs) and plan on sending the reamer back in to be resharpened.

JP barrels seem expensive compared to all the other barrels, but add in the cost of the reamer and extension plus the cost of your labor, the JP price is reasonable.

In my case, I already have the barrel and I'm not willing to buy and destroy a reamer, so I'll just load them short for a while. At least until I can catch a JP barrel on sale.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Flatland Shooter said:
What brand barrel Matt?
Honestly, I don't know. It's a 7" stainless I got from fat boy tactical (which refuse to say their distributor) cause it was cheap, but after having a couple interactions with the prick owner, I'll never spend another dime there.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Flatland Shooter said:
So you have a choice. Buy a JP barrel and load your bullet of choice or buy anyone else's barrel and place an order for a throat reamer. If you buy a nitrided barrel, plan on a hard reaming job (several have taken up to 2-1/2 hrs) and plan on sending the reamer back in to be resharpened.

JP barrels seem expensive compared to all the other barrels, but add in the cost of the reamer and extension plus the cost of your labor, the JP price is reasonable.

In my case, I already have the barrel and I'm not willing to buy and destroy a reamer, so I'll just load them short for a while. At least until I can catch a JP barrel on sale.
This is basically what I could find online when I was buying pieces for mine. I really wanted that Kaw Valley barrel but read too many stories about having to ream the throat to be able to shoot any loads that anyone would want to shoot out of it. It was almost $100 less and about 5oz lighter than the JP. I bought the JP to save the time and headache. It's probably cheaper in the end.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Flatland Shooter said:
Other than JP, it appears every 9mm carbine barrel maker has determined that chambers requiring we load our ammo short is what we need.

So if you want to reload most of the bullets we use in 9mm, you load short.

I have a PSA barrel. Good price and so far nice and accurate. But I'm also loading 147 gr X-treme bullets to an OAL of 1.085". Heavy coated bullets are pretty much ruled out.

JP barrel may seem expensive, but buy once cry once. My 3gun AR is just north of $3K. BUt I love it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
lol, I'm over trying to figure out how less than $200 for a barrel is expensive.
I was floored when JP released their 9mm barrels at this price point.
I paid more for a SS Wilson barrel to use as a temp until the JP's were ready to ship.
I guess maybe you guys just aren't used to building rifles.

Try looking up a Proof Research .223 barrel for fun sometime

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
lol, I'm over trying to figure out how less than $200 for a barrel is expensive.
I was floored when JP released their 9mm barrels at this price point.
I paid more for a SS Wilson barrel to use as a temp until the JP's were ready to ship.
I guess maybe you guys just aren't used to building rifles.

Try looking up a Proof Research .223 barrel for fun sometime
I was thinking the same thing. When I was building mine, the JPbolts and barrels were about the same to 25% more is all, so I went with JP.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
I am more than pleased with the JP barrel, and I was a tight ass and ordered it in raw SS to save $50. Looks great and only cost $170, $30 more than MSRP on a Kaw Valley/Faxon barrel that you have to load short for (or spend $50+ to get throated).

Latest posts