who does class 3 trusts?

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
isnt there someone on here who does trust for a reasonable price? Im in chattanooga TN but i could care less who does it if the regulars here say it is good to go... i assume this is something i can do over the phone with a lawyer...

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Do you have kids? Do you own a house or even a car worth any value? Do you have any assets of value? If you said yes to any of those you need a trust with all your stuff in it. Any old lawyer can do it.

Keeping it up to date is the hard part!

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
is the trust route going to be closed soon? I remember the ATF was taking comments this summer about it because of the executive orders last year.

striped1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Do you have kids? Do you own a house or even a car worth any value? Do you have any assets of value? If you said yes to any of those you need a trust with all your stuff in it. Any old lawyer can do it.

please explain your rationale

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:

im just looking for a trust for me my dad and brother solely for the purpose of class 3 items

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
You can try 199trusts and I think ASA was giving away trusts for joining the silencer association

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife and I already have a revocable trust set up. Does that mean I can use this trust or do you have to have some type of special trust drawn up that is seperate?

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
After everything I've read, I won't use an online service. Period. I also won't use a template that the dealer offers since I don't have access to the attorney who wrote it and I wasn't his client directly. I would also use an attorney in the state in which you reside since he needs to be licensed there (I would think) as well as (and more importantly) needs to know the trust laws for the state in which the trust will be a legal entity.

Google "NFA trust pitfalls" and see how you feel about all that after. Personally, running the risk of transferring an item into and possessing it under what could end up being an illegal entity is a "no thanks" scenario and well worth a couple hundred bucks FTF to an attorney for me...but that's just me.

jtischauser

Tom Koch said:
My wife and I already have a revocable trust set up. Does that mean I can use this trust or do you have to have some type of special trust drawn up that is seperate?
That's what's I am using. Buying the suppressors forced my hand to get a trust done for my other stuff too.

jtischauser

Cameron Gonder (gondo) said:
im just looking for a trust for me my dad and brother solely for the purpose of class 3 items
I'm not a lawyer but all a trust does is give you a legal document that can possess your belongings. You are the trustee aka the guy that controls what's in the trust. When you die the trustee changes to your wife your kids or me if you want. It keeps your stuff aka your estate from going through propagate court which requires fees, attorneys, time and money. If you have a trust you can put your suppressors on it, your lawnmower, your checkbook, anything you want. Like I said in not an attorney but as I inderstamd it your class III trust shouldnt be any different then any other trust.

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
That's what's I am using. Buying the suppressors forced my hand to get a trust done for my other stuff too.
Cool thanks! So the trust owns the suppressor does my wife have to do anything since it is in her name also. How does it work with beneficiaries like if something happened to my wife and I the suppressors go to my children?

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
Michael Ray said:
I would talk to a lawyer before trying to transfer an NFA item into a regular trust.
If any thing happens I will just tell them Jesse tischauser advised me to do it!:) I'll be sure to give my attorney a shout before I do anything. Thanks!

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Tom Koch said:
If any thing happens I will just tell them Jesse tischauser advised me to do it!:) I'll be sure to give my attorney a shout before I do anything. Thanks!
That's what I do, only I blame Burk.

jtischauser

Tom Koch said:
Cool thanks! So the trust owns the suppressor does my wife have to do anything since it is in her name also. How does it work with beneficiaries like if something happened to my wife and I the suppressors go to my children?
I don't remember where the trust starts and a will ends. I think you're will transfers stuff in your tryst but I'm not a lawyer. I'll try to remember to look at my paperwork this weekend. I need to add my new cans and remove my old house.

I'm NOT an attorney and CAN'T provide legal advise either but as i understand it, a will is basically a set of instructions for the court to use after your death if your estate requires a probate.
The trust can avoid probate and is typically private compared to a probate. A will is part of a trust.
You can also have just a will, but it will not avoid probate on it's own..
To my limited knowledge, you can't name minors in a gun trust as succesor trustees because they can't own them. You might be able to name guardians for the minors until they come of age
No matter what, do your homework...good attorneys are worth their money over the long haul imo
Hopefully some of our licensed legal shooting friends will chime in to provide some good advice

Latest posts