Which sword is fake

dennishoddy

Definitely one is fake.
I bought a fake US Calvary sword which is a replica of one used during the civil war just for a wall decoration. I'd be afraid to put it to the bend test like that Katana.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
My absolute FAVORITE fighting sword is my 1765 French Cutlass. The ideal sword for indoor cqb fiighting and the perfect lefty sword for moving through clutter with a pistol.

Katanas are for open field fighting.

Nothing says you're serious like a good sword.

up close and personal.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
My absolute FAVORITE fighting sword is my 1765 French Cutlass. The ideal sword for indoor cqb fiighting and the perfect lefty sword for moving through clutter with a pistol.

up close and personal.
There were still cutlasses in the us navy inventory at least into the korean war.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

up close and personal.
Holy crap!

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Apparently there may even yet be some of them around.
in 1954 the officer's ceremonial sword was officially restored as part of the uniform to be worn on prescribed occasions. However, three years before this, a group of enlisted men at Bainbridge Naval Training Center independently brought back the use of the cutlass on the parade ground and drill field. In fact, the cutlass has been an instrumental device at Bainbridge since it re-openend recruit training in 1951. https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...-alphabetically/u/uniforms-usnavy/swords.html

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
There were still cutlasses in the us navy inventory at least into the korean war.
There certainly were / are but the French Naval Cutlas is shorter, heavier, has a better cup guard and is the far superior boarding (or room clearing) sword than any of the American cutlas's

When you're talking American sabers …..lets talk horseback!

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic

up close and personal.
Traditionally for cavalry use the sword was in the right hand and some guns like the colt model p army and french 1892 ordnance 8mm lebel revolver were designed for left hand use. So it makes more send to use a cultass in the right hand if your are a righty.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Traditionally for cavalry use the sword was in the right hand and some guns like the colt model p army and french 1892 ordnance 8mm lebel revolver were designed for left hand use. So it makes more send to use a cultass in the right hand if your are a righty.
Totally agree…….for fighting on a horse.
I
it's a different animal indoors or moving through clutter (or a ships rigging).

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Totally agree…….for fighting on a horse.
I
it's a different animal indoors or moving through clutter (or a ships rigging).
A sword should be used in your strongest arm if it is your main weapon. If the pistol is a repeating pistol, than there is little for a drawn cutlass/sword at all. The sword is used when your pistol is empty.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
A sword should be used in your strongest arm if it is your main weapon. If the pistol is a repeating pistol, than there is little for a drawn cutlass/sword at all. The sword is used when your pistol is empty.
yes, all true……and a good cutlass with a short blade and a good steel guard can help you push or cut your way through rigging and clutter and doors. It's a guard, it's a wall, it's an early warning device, it's a terror to behold and it mates well in the left hand with a pistol at ready in the right.