Which scope for $1500 and under? Vortex 1-6 JM?

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Have started saving up for a better optic. Currently use a Bushnell PCL1-4. I like the Bushnell, but want something better. Have seen the Vortex Razor HD GenII for around $1400. I used the Razor in one match that belong to a friend who let me try it out. I was very impressed with it. But just wanted to make sure there wasn't another optic in that price range that I should also check out before I drop that kind of coin.

for club type matches if you only see 300yds and in, You can save coin by staying with a 1-4

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
mike cyrwus said:
for club type matches if you only see 300yds and in, You can save coin by staying with a 1-4
For sure! I'd use irons if it was only 300 and in.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Most of the club matches are 300 and in. But Shannon Smith out at Universal Shooting Academy was starting to put steel out at 400+ and I have heard he may go farther. That's were I prefer to shoot 3gun locally because the stages they build are more challenging and technical than any other in the area. It's such a large range with so many bays they have a lot of options for stages.

I really would like either the Swaro or the VCOG, but just can't justify the extra grand for them right now.

jtischauser

Tuflehundon said:
Most of the club matches are 300 and in. But Shannon Smith out at Universal Shooting Academy was starting to put steel out at 400+ and I have heard he may go farther. That's were I prefer to shoot 3gun locally because the stages they build are more challenging and technical than any other in the area. It's such a large range with so many bays they have a lot of options for stages.

I really would like either the Swaro or the VCOG, but just can't justify the extra grand for them right now.
The vortex is a better scope for 3-gun than the VCOG is.

farmgirl

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree. Cry once buy once. My husband is forever buying one thing and truly wanting something else. I would rather pay the big price once and not have to pay twice. Especially since he will never sell anything to re-coup' any money for the first one.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
farmgirl said:
I agree. Cry once buy once. My husband is forever buying one thing and truly wanting something else. I would rather pay the big price once and not have to pay twice. Especially since he will never sell anything to re-coup' any money for the first one.
If you didn't use that shady ass dealer, it might be cheaper!

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Bought the scope I have now because when I 1st started shooting 3gun when my wife had cancer, so I was on a pretty tight budget at the time. Shot with what I had already, and had a buddy sell me the optic I now have really cheap. Wife has been in remission for a couple of years now and I have been upgrading my gear piece by piece. Last 2 things I want to do are get a better optic, and get an XRail for my shotgun.

Jeremybj

Fanatic
Not to bring on the Leupold hate, but I looked through a buddy's Leupold VX-6 1-6 Multigun and was very impressed. Really clear glass, nice reticle with holdovers and CDS turret. Real world price is about $1000. I liked it, I know there are better (and more expensive) options out there, but its hard to complain about it.

Jeremy

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
I do love my Vortex Razor, the wide lens lets you shoot close up targets on 2 and 3 power.

Oddly enough my favourite part is the red dot in the middle as I transitioned from a 1x red dot

jtischauser

Tuflehundon (Rob Gee) said:
Have started saving up for a better optic. Currently use a Bushnell PCL1-4. I like the Bushnell, but want something better. Have seen the Vortex Razor HD GenII for around $1400. I used the Razor in one match that belong to a friend who let me try it out. I was very impressed with it. But just wanted to make sure there wasn't another optic in that price range that I should also check out before I drop that kind of coin.
Here is my 3-gun scope hierarchy.

Vortex StrikeEagle 1-6x24 I haven't even seen this one yet but the price, specs and reviews thus far have me sold. It's going on all my backup/plinking guns
Leupold VX6 1-6x24 Multigun Reticle
Vortex Razor HD 1-6x24 JM Reticle
Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 w/BRT Reticle

Hit me up on a PM and I'll save you 10% at optics planet.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I'm waiting on the Strike Eagle to come out. Haven't seen one yet, but a couple of friends that went to SHOT show said they were very impressed with it. Even if I end up going with the Razor HDII I may still end up with a Strike Eagle on my back up guns and hunting rifles.

Stonetoad

Well-Known Fanatic
I found a guy who has several leupold mark 6 1x6 for $1100. They are military equipment brought back and sold to a guy on a container auction. He removes military camo looking paint and the glass is flawless.also leuupold has warranty on their equipment. Forgot they also include larue mount and throw lever. If your interested I'll dig out his contact info

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
Save up a little more and buy a swaro, i literally sold every extra piece of gear and a couple pistols to buy it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's really that good of a 3 gun scope.

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I have never looked through a swarovski Z6i, but do own a Vortex razor hd. The Vortex is amazing. I can't imagine that the Swarovski is $1500 better? I have a very nice pair of Swarovski binoculars that I got for free. I never would have spent the money for them out of my pocket. They are great, but honestly, I can't tell much difference in quality from a pair of Zeiss binoculars that I have that cost $2000 less.

Latest posts