Which Pistol Bullets ?

dugby

Active Fanatic
I am needing to order some more 40 cal and 45 ACP and 45 long colt projectiles.

Wondering how others approach the costs and benefits of the various options. Jacketed/Plated/Coated etc.

I have tried:
500 of the Hard cast 40 cal lead (Good price no real trouble in my XDM Springfield)
1000 of the 40 cal Rainier plated (Also worked well, more money than the hard cast)
3000 of the 45 cal precision coated bullets (These worked just fine after I made them the right length, Good price, worked fine in my kimber and my sons kimber)
1000 of the Mid Kansas cast bullets for the 45 colt

What do most competitors that shoot 1,000's use?

Thanks,

Dugby

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
I use hard cast bullets and Black bullet International that's what im using now.

I am needing to order some more 40 cal and 45 ACP and 45 long colt projectiles.

Wondering how others approach the costs and benefits of the various options. Jacketed/Plated/Coated etc.

I have tried:
500 of the Hard cast 40 cal lead (Good price no real trouble in my XDM Springfield)
1000 of the 40 cal Rainier plated (Also worked well, more money than the Hard cast)
3000 of the 45 cal precision coated bullets (These worked just fine after I made them the right length, Good price, worked fine in my kimber and my sons kimber)
1000 of the Mid Kansas cast bullets for the 45 colt

What do most competitors that shoot 1,000's use?

Thanks,

Dugby

I use hard cast bullets and Black bullet International that's what im using now.

dugby

Active Fanatic
I think that that the Black bullets international is the same as the Precision coated bullets from the people down in Kemp Texas.

It is hard for me to see a good reason to pay more than hard cast or Precision Coated bullets prices, but then I am a novice on pistol shooting.

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot 9mm but black bullets are 66/1000 hard cast are 61/1000 I have nothing against hard cast bullets I need to get a chrono before i load anymore. I already have a load worked up with the BBI

I think that that the Black bullets international is the same as the Precision coated bullets from the people down in Kemp Texas.

It is hard for me to see a good reason to pay more than J&K or Precision Coated bullets prices, but then I am a novice on pistol shooting.

I shoot 9mm but black bullets are 66/1000 jk are 61/1000 I have nothing against mitch bullets I need to get a chrono before i load anymore. I already have a load worked up with the BBI

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I like Montana Gold. They are probably the most popular bullet in action shooting. Good stuff and only slightly more expensive than lead or black bullets. I do sling some cheap stuff to on occasion.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
Precision in my autos, billy bullets and bayou in my revos. Precision delta for wadcutters.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is another source for bullets. These guys are the ones who make Buffalo Bores bullets, soft to hard lead, soft lead will come gaschecked, and like buffaloBores ammo, the soft rounds will expand at moderate velocities i.e. 850 to 900 FPS for their 158gr SWCHP.

http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/

ocphy

Well-Known Fanatic
I have bought some lead from Friendswoodbullet before. They were very nice people. Been awhile since I got anything from them, but they have 5-10% off sales from time to time.

honeybee

Well-Known Fanatic
A few years ago I decided that I don't shoot enough anymore to reload, What a fool right?

Well back then I bought cast lead and an old shooter neighbor showed me how to copper plate them in bulk. I found that by coating the lead with copper I didn't need to Lubricate them and they didn't lead up the barrel so bad.

Has anyone else here ever done that?

dennishoddy

A few years ago I decided that I don't shoot enough anymore to reload, What a fool right?

Well back then I bought cast lead and an old shooter neighbor showed me how to copper plate them in bulk. I found that by coating the lead with copper I didn't need to Lubricate them and they didn't lead up the barrel so bad.

Has anyone else here ever done that?

I haven't but you have me courious now, as how the process is completed.

It is hard for me to see a good reason to pay more than Hard cast or Precision Coated bullets prices, but then I am a novice on pistol shooting.
its not

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
You've got a few different kinds of coated bullets around, each with their devotees.

Off hand I can think of:

BBI
Precision
Bayou Bullets
Billy Bullets

I'd like to try the Billy bullets, the coating is mucho different than the BBI's, it's harder and less greasy feeling.

Each of them fill the niche between lead and jacketed nicely.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
I like Montana Gold. They are probably the most popular bullet in action shooting. Good stuff and only slightly more expensive than lead or black bullets. I do sling sine cheap stuff to on occasion.

Same here, at least for my major match loads. They're 98% as accurate as Hornady XTP's, but substantially easier on the pocket book. For practice and local matches, I just use whatever is cheap. Right now I'm finishing off a bulk lot of Berry's plated bullets, then I'll be dipping into a case of Winchester FMJ's I got from Black Hills Shooters Supply on a bulk order. :)

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Another source for hard cast lead bullets; 18 Brinell. Least expensive cast lead bullets I have found.​
Missouri Bullet Company. All types of bullets. OKC Gun Club members receive a 5% discount. Discount code is: ocgc-gc Contact at:​
www.missouribullet.com Customer Service (816) 597-3204

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Another source for hard cast lead bullets; 18 Brinell. Least expensive cast lead bullets I have found.​

Missouri Bullet Company. All types of bullets. OKC Gun Club members receive a 5% discount. Discount code is: ocgc-gc Contact at:​
www.missouribullet.com Customer Service (816) 597-3204

I have bought from these guys in the past. Very good stuff. I have some in my garage if anybody wants to try some.

bboswell

Well-Known Fanatic
I have used Black Bullets International with good results, as well as Montana Gold.

Recently purchased some Frontier plated and looking forward to seeing how those perform.

Ordered some Black Bullets Int'l about 3 months ago and still waiting for delivery. Anybody have any idea what the current expected wait time? While I like the product, not sure I can continue to wait that long.

Cyrwus commented the BBI's were different than Precision. Perhaps he could expand on his experience with various moly coated options or other recommendations. He builds great guns and is a great shooter, so he would have valuable insight for those of us less educated.

I use precision bullets.
BBI are not the same. Entirely different molds... and the wait time can be ridiculous. Plated bullets vary in specs too much and will burn you on accuracy. Lead bullets are fine, but the wax can build up and give you some problems. For the money you can't beat precision... plus they show up in just a few days.

Latest posts