Which adjustable gas block

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
So a buddy of mine has a Stag 3G. He mentioned getting the JP silent spring/buffer kit to help with recoil. I told him I'd go with a adjustable gas block first. So which one should he use. I have a firebird so that set up wont work for him. Or should he try JP LM BCG first or hell both

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The silent buffer spring isn't intended to reduce recoil, It's just meant to quiet the action during cycling.
The Adj. Gas block works in conjunction with the Low Mass Carrier & Buffer as a recoil reducing system.
If you're going to get 1 at a time, it should be Gas Block, Carrier, then buffer. You'll get the most benefit from the carrier but the low mass carrier could be too light for a full gas system. You could end up with your cyclic rate too fast & causing your bolt to bounce. The same goes for using the low mass buffer with a std carrier, rifle may cycle too fast. While it does add to the reduction (by reducing the amount of reciprocating mass), the Low Mass Buffer does the least of the 3 at reducing recoil. The Gas Block reduces recoil by allowing you to tune the rifle to use the minimum amount of gas needed to reliably cycle the action. The carrier is where the biggest benefit is by reducing the amount of recip. mass by a great deal.

I like the JP & the Seekins Adj. Gas Blocks. Both are super small & light weight.

All that said, the most reduction will come from a good comp. like a Rolling Thunder or Titan.

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
I like this one for two reasons. https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop%2Fmanufacturer&manufacturer=180

First, it is adjusted from the front with supplied long allen keys. I had a JP that was adjusted from the side and was a real pain to fit the allen key in to make an adjustment.

Second, it has a plunger that locks your setting in place without worrying about locktite hopefully keeping your adjustment. You simply push the plunger and turn the adjustment knob and it will lock your setting. The adjustments are a quarter turn which is fine. Easy to get to on a Mid or rifle length gas system.

Oh, it has a decent price too, which is nice.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
CrtsHarris said:
I like this one for two reasons. https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop%2Fmanufacturer&manufacturer=180

First, it is adjusted from the front with supplied long allen keys. I had a JP that was adjusted from the side and was a real pain to fit the allen key in to make an adjustment.

Second, it has a plunger that locks your setting in place without worrying about locktite hopefully keeping your adjustment. You simply push the plunger and turn the adjustment knob and it will lock your setting. The adjustments are a quarter turn which is fine. Easy to get to on a Mid or rifle length gas system.

Oh, it has a decent price too, which is nice.
Great break down Tony!

I've had a few Syrac blocks. They are good but not perfect. The early ones I had didn't close far enough. I could get my gas turned down far enough for it to quit running. The adjustment screws placement is great for initial tuning but the small detent locked up tighter than two dogs after a few thousand rounds and I has to soak everything in Fireclean to get the detent moving so I could get it to adjust again later on.

My favorite adjustable block is probably the PRI then the JP. I need to try a seekins now too.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I had a lot of trouble with the Kies gas block coming out of adjustment even with red loc tite so I chucked it in the trash and went back to the standard block.
I just got the Seekins adjustable with the brass set screw to try out so we'll see how that goes.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the tips guys. He replaced comp yesterday and we'll head to range sometime this week and see how it goes

Latest posts