Which 44 Mag?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
For some strange reason I want a 44 mag. Looks like the main options are Ruger and Smith and Wesson (super red hawk and 629 or M69). I am thinking I want a 4-5" and I want a DA/SA.

From what I have read, the Ruger is built stronger and can take anything you throw in it. I've also read that the Smith is a little lighter but has a better trigger.

Not a huge revolver guy so I was hoping to get some feedback from folks that are more experienced.

Thanks!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

I have the S&W 629 and a ruger super redhawk.
I'll give the SA trigger of the Smith the nod. Da is about the same on both. If your only shooting factory ammo, the 629 is your gun. If you reload and enjoy max loads, go with the Ruger. The smith can't handle heavy loads.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I've never owned or even shot either of those, but when I hear someone say "44 mag" my immediate thought is the Ruger super redhawk.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Matt Rigsby said:
I've never owned or even shot either of those, but when I hear someone say "44 mag" my immediate thought is the Ruger super redhawk.
Mine is Super Blackhawk but it's a SA only. Badass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll just leave this here...

pre_1492323677__dirty_harry.jpeg

dennishoddy

That movie is what prompted a buddy and I each to buy a 629.
He worked up a hot load for his and cracked a cylinder. That event is what prompted me to buy the Super Redhawk.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeff said:
The Dirty Harry prop crew could not dig up enough 29's... they shot a lot of film with 41 magnum pistols in the movie.
Well at some point I'm going to have to have a 6" 29 just because. If I ever get into hunting with a handgun (doubtful) I'll go Ruger because I'd cry if I scratched a blue steel 29 and the Rugers are like Clydesdales, they're bred for work.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
There is a local gun store that has a used super redhawk Alaskan at a really good price but I just don't know if I want a snub nosed 44. I am kinda leaning toward a 629 classic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a 7.5" Super RedHawk about 3 years ago.

The first thing I did to it was add on a Hogue wood grip. For whatever reason, the rubber grips that come from the factory on GP100's and Super RedHawk's transfer all of the recoil right into your hand. The wood grips surprisingly absorb some of the recoil, and they look cool.

I run slightly over max loads of IMR-4227 with Nosler 240 gr JSP's with CCI LP primers. Power factor is right around 315 lol. I have a scope on mine, but mainly its purpose is soaking up some of the recoil. I shot 100 rounds through it one day by myself, and I couldn't fully close my right hand for 3-4 days afterwards, so then I added on the scope. It's much better now.

Great gun, shoots very accurate and is built like a tank. A friend offered to sell me his Dirty Harry S&W but after reading how you were limited in how hot you could go with your loads, I looked elsewhere.

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
DD78 said:
I bought a 7.5" Super RedHawk about 3 years ago.

The first thing I did to it was add on a Hogue wood grip. For whatever reason, the rubber grips that come from the factory on GP100's and Super RedHawk's transfer all of the recoil right into your hand. The wood grips surprisingly absorb some of the recoil, and they look cool.

I run slightly over max loads of IMR-4227 with Nosler 240 gr JSP's with CCI LP primers. Power factor is right around 315 lol. I have a scope on mine, but mainly its purpose is soaking up some of the recoil. I shot 100 rounds through it one day by myself, and I couldn't fully close my right hand for 3-4 days afterwards, so then I added on the scope. It's much better now.

Great gun, shoots very accurate and is built like a tank. A friend offered to sell me his Dirty Harry S&W but after reading how you were limited in how hot you could go with your loads, I looked elsewhere.
I feel the same on the hot loads have been looking for a ruger for a while because I like when your fillings come loose shooting. Otherwise your better off using a .357

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts