Which 44 Mag. next?

dennishoddy

I have the Ruger Redhawk with the 7.5" barrel. It's a fire breathing monster when using full power loads.
Loads not capable of being fired from the S&W.
As we travel in Griz country and like to hike, I've carried the Ruger for years in a chest rig, never having to draw it, but everyone wants me in their group. Sprays are spotty when defending themself against an enraged bear historically.
I looked at changing barrels from the 7.5 to the 5.5, but every gunsmith I talked to said that that it is a stainless to stainless connection from the barrel to the receiver and can be prone to galding if removing the barrel unless Ruger used an anti-seize which they sometimes did not.
There was a 50/50 chance it could be turned into a paper weight, so decided to not go that direction, but opted to go with a S&W 10MM using underwood penetrator ammo that is copper. It's a pound lighter, wearable on the hip and has a 15 round capacity. I'm liking that extra round capability with the ammo designed for the job.
I love the .44 mag, and love to shoot it at the range typically drawing a few wanting to know what is creating that fireball.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have 9 COLT 1911s.
So you can assume I like Colts. :p
Various other old Colt Revolvers.

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted I waited & waited for Colt to come out with a .44 magnum.
I waited until I shot a Ruger Super Blackhawk then a DA Ruger Redhawk both with 7.5" bbls.
Just went out & bought them both $180.00 for the SB, & $300.00 for the RH both used. The SB
was shot 1 time & the guy Gave me the other 49 loaded Rem .44 Mag 240 gr HP. He traded it for
a .357 magnum LOL.

Seeing all the History on the Colt Anaconda, I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the Rugers. I have Ruger Security 6 & Speed 6
the dang things are baby Redhawks, built like a tank.
CZ has control of Colt now so who knows, perhaps they can come out with a great Colt Anaconda in .44 & 45 LC.

@HooDoo Man it's a hard choice today, I know nothing of CZ/Colts new Anaconda. It could be great I just don't know.
I would go on a revolver forum & ask that question about Colt or Ruger.

Last edited:

Latest posts