Where the hell is everybody?

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, not everybody left, and I recently joined. So, why the hell did I do that? Well, my search over these last almost 20 years has been for a firearms forum where we can converse with realistic firearms issues in a civil manner, that most of us own, with realistic solutions that will cause problems that even the manufacturers can't figure out.
This is for information only, and that's all. but I have been involved with Ruger Mark pistols since 1970, and what can be involved with any failures or betterment that could possibly be involved with these normally fine pistols. When a Ruger Mark pistol is sent back to Ruger for ANY issue, their technicians will exchange parts until that particular pistol meets their needs and specifications, that's it. They don't actually FIX your issue. My extensive notes, that I have kept over the 50 years of dealing with these pistols, covers ways and means, that you can deal with for most of those issues, if that's what you'd like to do. If not, there are other ways that can be recommended. As always folks, it's always up to you.

dennishoddy

Fortunately, I've never had any issues with my Ruger Mark II, Mark III and Mark III Hunter.
Keep em clean and use good ammo to keep them reliable.
Cleaning one can be an issue for a lot of folks if they don't use their Rugers, but once the technique is learned, it's not an issue.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't had any issues with my 22/45, it eats just about anything I feed it. Any issues I have had have been due to it needing cleaning. Nice to know you are here as a resource if that changes.

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, there's only ONE serious issue that I've seen on several Ruger Mark II stainless steel pistols, ant that involves those that have the "two-piece bolt", and here's what they look like:
lH6ZRQk.jpg

The customer service manager at Ruger has told me they get between 3 to 6 of these bolts per year that become separated:
aqJAo9M.jpg

They now no longer have any of the Mark II, or III bolts to replace the separated Mark II bolts with, so they are sending out the Mark IV bolts as replacements. Only issue there is, for some folks, is that they'd like to keep their original bolts due to those having a larger diameter on the charging ears at the back end of the bolt. The Mark III and IV bolts have a smaller diameter, tapered set of serrations, on the bolts periphery, so for some owners, they then feel the need to attach those "halo" style charging rings to assist when pulling the bolt backward.
There is a preventative fix for those who have two-piece Ruger Mark II stainless bolts, if one were so inclined to have that done.

dennishoddy

Not sure what mine has as I'm not around it currently, but I do have a racking assist so I don't need to use the conventional thumb and forefinger grip to move the slide.

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
The two-piece bolt was involved with the stainless steel Mark II pistols "only", so far as I've found. And, it was accompanied by a cast, one-piece mainspring housing assembly instead of the three layer laminated mainspring housing assembly.

Latest posts