When to abandon a target?

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Let's set the scene, last weekend on stage 5 we had 5 longer range carbine shots; 2 colt speed plates at 100yards, 1 gong at 150 and 2 gongs at 200.

Average time turns out to be about 45 seconds, I scored 76. Now my question is, when do you say screw it and take the penalty versus banging away thus taking (presumably) more time?

It didn't help that my scope was off at 6" high at 200 yards.

And don't answer get better/practice more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
How may seconds was each target worth? Meaning what was the miss penalty?

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
I think it was a failure to neutralize 5 second penalty.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I tell myself to take 2 shots and if I can't hit it by then, move on. Now once the buzzer hits, I usually forget that and take 3-4 shots before I brighten up and move.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Matt Rigsby said:
I tell myself to take 2 shots and if I can't hit it by then, move on. Now once the buzzer hits, I usually forget that and take 3-4 shots before I brighten up and move.
Same for me. I know my dope, so if I miss more than twice, something is wrong and I'm better to move on. I tell new shooters the same thing. I see people throw 10 or more rounds at each target, taking more time to hit than the penalty.

That the Mike, know that something is wrong, and fix it later. It could be that your zero is off, you don't know your dope, etc. Then practice those shots before the next match and hit them next time.

Rader89

Well-Known Fanatic
The way i look a it. Most people take about 1 second per long range target. "Give or take based on range, optic, skill level" if we are talking about 5 second penalty and you just took 5 second and 5 shots and still miss you're screwing yourself. Take two shots and move on becuase youre just rolling the dice at that point. Of course i dont do this most of the time because of determination and not gaming it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
It gets more difficult to decide at some matches. Josh Loganbill has it figured out as MD for the Lead Farm match, with (I think) a 20 second penalty for any target over 200 not engaged and 15 seconds for FTN at that distance. I think that's right, but may be off a bit. Either way,. it's severe enough that it's difficult to decide whether or not to take the penalty.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
At those distances you should never have to leave a target. That's easy shooting. When was the last time you checked your zero? Personally I have never had my zero be off at a match and I shoot a lot and travel via airplane a lot. I also check my zero a lot. Before every big match which equates to at least twice a month.

If you're scope was off only 6" at 200 yards you should have been able to figure that out pretty quickly when your 100 yard shots on the center of the 6" colt still weren't hitting home. After about the third shot you're WTF meter should be reading red and you should start shooting the edges of the target to figure out if you're missing high/low/left/right. Once the zero is found again it's hammer time.

If you're shooting at much longer ranges (400-600 yards) wind, wobble, and all kinds of **** can effect you. At those distances I'll take 3 shots to get a hit. If I don't get it and I am confident in what I'm doing with the trigger and my position are correct. Then I'll go into figure out what's wrong mode. I'll take probably 5-7 shots trying to find out why a perfect trigger press with what I think should the correct hold on my reticle. Those extra 5-7 shots are me trying to find where and why I'm missing. I'm looking for Bullet splash in the dirt or any indicator as to where they are going. This scenario should only occur on your first long range target of the match. If you just shot a bunch of long stuff on the previous stage you should know your gun isn't the problem.

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'm still green to shooting ar's and scopes in general.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
In theory that's the correct answer. But for most of us normal folk, zeroing before every match just isn't possible. I wish I could, but life unfortunately gets in the way.

Latest posts