What's your least favorite 3 Gun firearm?

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
For me it's the shotgun. Most people have a handgun/holster and rifle/sling that they can just bring out and shoot proficiently. Shotgun has a much higher gear requirement and almost requires customization just to be in the same ballpark. Anyone else get that feeling?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Skill wise, the pistol is my worst enemy. Shotgun tends to make me more confident and I try to run too fast on occasion. Rifle is good to go as long as I have my scope set properly.

toothandnail

Well-Known Fanatic
PCC, I have one never shoot it. Don't see the excitement over it.

I guess it's not really a 3 Gun gun though.

I REALLY enjoy all 3 guns in 3 gun that's why I shoot 98% 3 gun matches to any other.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Pistols suck because the sight radius is microscopic and you can't shoulder them for added stability. You can turn one into an open gun to make it easier to shoot but then it's a fugly open gun. That what make a PCC So much more fun.

Shotguns are kinda dumb too because like Dennis said they need a lot of stuff done that is for 3-gun only not that my 3-gun shotgun doesn't also serve as my sporting and HD shotgun.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I love shooting shotguns fast, but don't like how much customization is required to be competitive at loading fast.

Push

Fanatic
Shotgun, it's the least practical of the 3. I enjoy shooting it and the challenge it adds to the sport, but I would prefer if mag tubes were capped at 8 rnds for everyone.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
When I first got into 3 gun last year in April, I would've rated my skills with each of the 3 guns as follows: rifle, pistol, shotgun. It wound up being rifle, shotgun, pistol. Pistol was so far in third place it was embarrassing. So I started shooting USPSA and practicing.

Today I would rate the 3 as follows: rifle, shotgun, pistol lol. While my pistol skills have improved tremendously, I think I will always shoot a long gun better.

I can't say I have a favorite or least favorite to shoot because I enjoy all three. The only one I don't really practice all that much is shotgun. What's weird is that I didn't shoot my shotgun all winter, basically from November thru April and at the very first match of the season, my buddy swore I was lying about not practicing because I was running the shotgun 3X as fast as last year. The only thing I changed was starting a weight lifting program back in February.

But to answer your question, I can't really pick one I don't like because I like them all. If I didn't, I'd shoot something else that didn't involve the one gun I don't like.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Skill is usually what hoses me. Everyone says you need (insert name of shop here) M2 for a shotgun and a tanfo for a production pistol or an SVI for a limited gun and for a rifle you x barrel and low mass parts with a sub 5 lb trigger. I promise you could put all these tools in my hand and some guy that has put in the work comes along like Patrick Kelley and completely crush me with a heavy metal set up. I really really enjoy all 3. Shotgun is super satisfying when you're taking long steel with slugs. Rifle is awesome. Lastly, what's not to like about a pistol? Back to the original question, my personal least favorite is probably rifle.

Baby Seal Club

Active Fanatic
Shotgun for me. Only because I have an overhanging belly and my caddy left a huge nasty bruise from every time I bent over to pick something up, otherwise they are all fun in their own way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe_Michalek

Fanatic
When I first started shooting rifle was (and still is) my strong point. I shoot factory/irons and hit 500 yard steel with my eotech. It just feels like a natural extension of myself with a litters point and shoot experience.

Then came pistol, I started with a 1911 and while I was good with it the amount of spare mags needed for sole stages were insane. So I moved to a MP9 pro, honestly I sucked with this thing until I did a barrel and trigger swap to APEX parts. However this is now my weakness! I am the fastest with a pistol but 25 yard paper at higher speeds usually results in poor groups. Not so bad for 3 gun but when I do uspsa it's kind of embarrassing

Finally was shotgun, when I got into 3 gun I planned to shoot heavy metal only (not happening now, the tiny bullets are so much cheaper if you don't reload!) so I was running a modified 870 supermagnum. While I was quick with this thing it just felt wrong and I would take massive penalties on shotgun stages because I tended to just move on (I couldn't really hit anything with this gun). I've since picked up a fully decked out race 930 and my shotgun game has gone from the thing I dread to the thing I'll choose over my pistol if I have a choice. My reloads arnt as quick as some of the people doing it longer but my quads lets me keep up with people who have multiple years under their belt.

So all in all I go

Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol

OR3GUN

Sponsor
For me, it's whatever gun I'm being forced to use out of context. In other words, the only times I find myself irritated at a particular platform is when I'm kept from using the correct one for a stage by a course description.

I love shooting pistol, but if there is a 50 yard cardboard target and I happen to have a rifle handy, I want to use it. In the same regard, if I'm wearing a pistol and my shotgun runs dry I don't want to have to stand there and reload a shotgun. I'm also a fan of reactive targets, so shotgun jumps to the front of my list for a lot of stages. Clays and falling steel offers a lot more mental certainty than cardboard. Ever think you've engaged a target array from 2 different locations in a maze of snow fence and find you still don't have any holes in it when you walk through to score? Ever look at the array next to it and see 3 times as many holes as you needed? No, just me?

If 3-Gun were REALLY golf for men, we could bring a whole cart worth of guns and choose the correct one for each task. Reloading would be something you do between stages and someone else would carry all of your stuff for you.

William

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
OR3GUN said:
For me, it's whatever gun I'm being forced to use out of context. In other words, the only times I find myself irritated at a particular platform is when I'm kept from using the correct one for a stage by a course description.

I love shooting pistol, but if there is a 50 yard cardboard target and I happen to have a rifle handy, I want to use it.
So true!!

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
if it weren't for the shotgun, I'd shoot 3 gun more often, which would mean a 4th and perhaps 5th time.

I Loved the pistol and carbine, but shooting static targets with the shotgun and jamming round after round into the magazine was no fun. I shoot USPSA single stack so I already have a sport in which I must reload often.

My shotgun fun is skeet, trap, clays, 5 stand, ducks, and other wily critters.

Having written that, however, I will endeavor to try 3-gun again. Tally ho.