What's your ideal rifle weight?

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
Been mulling over building a lightweight AR15, but I'm wondering even with a brake and adjustable gas if it's going to be too light and have significantly more recoil. So what is your ideal rifle weight?

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I built my wife a light weight rifle a while back (she's fairly petite), I haven't weighed it or anything but its pretty handy.

While the weight may be easier to handle, she doesn't like the recoil versus my much heavier, 18in compensated rifle. So the light weight rifle sits while mine puts rounds down range.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
MikeF said:
@Tuflehundon should be along shortly to talk about his 87 (or whatever) pound rifle.
Mines is 12 1/2 lbs unloaded. I love the way it shoots. Super stable on target, and all that weight, accompanied with the low mass system, and comp, means virtually no recoil.

I will add that balance matters more than weight to me. After carrying machine guns for so many years, 12 1/2 lbs isn't all that heavy. But an unbalanced rifle, will feel heavier, and will not swing as well. I went with a MagPul PRS stock, which is known to be heavy, for the weight. It balanced out the front heavy rifle.

Normal comments from RO's when I hand them my rifle so I can load another weapon is: Man that's heavy.

Latest posts