What's on the menu today?

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I cooked red potatoes last night to go with some ribeye cap that was on sale at the local butcher shop. It was great, as I could grill them up when I got home.

IMG_1306.jpeg

I have plenty of steak this week for tacos, which I'll dress up with some adobo peppers.

IMG_1310.jpeg

This morning I decided to cook up some of the local butchers bacon, with the red potatoes - I created some soft scrambled eggs on toast with a few sliced strawberries. I topped the crispy potatoes with Texas pete doctored ketchup.

We are eating good this week for sure. Shared a few plates with neighbors and family.

dennishoddy

I'm the chief cook around our place. As a hunter and fisherman, we eat a lot of wild game. Typically pretty lean so one has to find ways to keep venison from getting dry. The best way for venison, duck, etc is to cook it medium rare. Make a gravy or sauce to cover it with.
Fish I do lots of ways. Blackened, smoked, smothered, grilled and occasionally fried.
Tonight was left-overs. Went fishing and got back late. There will be fresh fish in the coming days though. 35 lb yellow fin tuna. Lots of sushi in my future!

I have pics, but the forum says file too big.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

I'm the chief cook around our place. As a hunter and fisherman, we eat a lot of wild game. Typically pretty lean so one has to find ways to keep venison from getting dry. The best way for venison, duck, etc is to cook it medium rare. Make a gravy or sauce to cover it with.
Fish I do lots of ways. Blackened, smoked, smothered, grilled and occasionally fried.
Tonight was left-overs. Went fishing and got back late. There will be fresh fish in the coming days though. 35 lb yellow fin tuna. Lots of sushi in my future!

I have pics, but the forum says file too big.
Thats odd. We allow images that are 24megs...which is huge.
I tried it again tonight. Same response.

IMG_2729.png

dennishoddy

Loves me some ribeye cap!!:):)
Had some USDA prime cap we got from Costco. Man, that is some good eating!
I've had folks give me the WTF when buying prime graded meat from Costco. Ribeye is about $24 a pound, but if it was served in a restaurant, it would be at minimum a $50 dollar steak and I can cook it better than most restaurants.
It's amazing how many big name restaurants can't get a medium-rare steak done correctly if ordered that way, so I typically order one rare and it comes out medium rare.
I'm looking for nothing but a WARM red center with a nice sear. When they bring out something with a little line of pink in the center, they get it back.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Had some USDA prime cap we got from Costco. Man, that is some good eating!
I've had folks give me the WTF when buying prime graded meat from Costco. Ribeye is about $24 a pound, but if it was served in a restaurant, it would be at minimum a $50 dollar steak and I can cook it better than most restaurants.
It's amazing how many big name restaurants can't get a medium-rare steak done correctly if ordered that way, so I typically order one rare and it comes out medium rare.
I'm looking for nothing but a WARM red center with a nice sear. When they bring out something with a little line of pink in the center, they get it back.
I agree most of the steak houses I go to I have one level lower like you do. Then I have one that I have to order medium to get a medium rare.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife and I like to get a cheap steak (round steak, etc) give it a nice char but keep it light red in the center and then dip that in ketchup:) don't know why but we both enjoy cheap steak in ketchup once in a while. Even over a good streak some times.

Neither of us will use anything but salt and cooked to med rare or rare on any good to premium steaks!!

Latest posts