What's a good digital scale and chronograph?

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
Just got started into reloading. I bought a R CBS 505 balance scale but wanted a digital also to compare with. Opinions on a good chronograph, maybe one of those with a printer?

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Never a fan of digital scales so no help there but I do like my CED chrony, it's got a ton of features that I never really use but it's much smarter than I :) and it picks up my 20r bullets from my 17 Rem :-O Later,

Kirk

Glock_21

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the Chrony Beta Master. Nothing fancy, I caught it on sale from Midway one day. It does what I need it to do. I would highly suggest getting a chronograph with a remote display. It is so much more convenient to have the display right in front of you vs 8-10 ft downrange. The Crony menus and controls leave a lot to be desired but it works and it didn't break the bank.

I'm not a big fan of digital scales either. One of these days I may break down and add a Charge Master but until then I will rely on my RCBS balance beam and a set of calibration weights.

dennishoddy

I just bought one of the Hornady digital powder dispensers to load centerfire rifle with. I'm impressed with how accurate it is. About every 10th load, I'll dump it in my beam scales and it agrees every time.

I've owned two chronographs. The cheap Chrony worked great, but like has been said, the display is 12' away and it doesn't average. You have to write down each and average yourself. No biggie with a smart phone at your side.

Also have the Caldwell with a wireless remote back to an app on the smart phone. It has tons of features.

Bottom line, don't loan them to friends. For some reason, they come back shot up.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I think me & Dennis have some of the same friends

dennishoddy

Wall said:
I think me & Dennis have some of the same friends
Think I even have some pics. My Chrony was blown into pieces. Dumb **** tried to do a 12 gauge at 12 yds. He told me it was for testing his hunting rifle.

The Caldwell was set up while I was testing some loads. Guy came over and asked if he could shoot through it. Sure.

He shot several times, we got the info, and he left. I was getting ready to shoot, and tried to zero the remote which is the app on my IPhone. Nada.

When I walked up to the unit, there was a streak across the sensor area from his bullet. He didn't blow it up, but left it unable to use with the remote. I can still see the screen on the unit if I walk up to it. Totally takes away from having the app and being able to use it that way.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Surprised the guy with the 12 gauge brought it back. I'd say, "I f'd up. I see where these are $125 new @ Midway. Do you want me to order you a new one or give you this $150 so you can put it toward one that is more bullet resistant?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
What model of Caldwell, Dennis?

I have a ProChrono that has been good, but it seems to run about 3 powerfactor lower than official match chronos. It matched the setup Kurt had at the 2014 sectional though. Chronographs seem to be a little bullshitty. Distance is distance and time is stable.

I use the Dillon D-Terminator digital scale. Keep it in on of the boxes they make for it. Excellent product.

dennishoddy

Mitch Gibson said:
What model of Caldwell, Dennis?

I have a ProChrono that has been good, but it seems to run about 3 powerfactor lower than official match chronos. It matched the setup Kurt had at the 2014 sectional though. Chronographs seem to be a little bullshitty. Distance is distance and time is stable.

I use the Dillon D-Terminator digital scale. Keep it in on of the boxes they make for it. Excellent product.
View attachment 11013

View attachment 11014

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452627664.038191.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452627664.038191.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 29
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452627693.937460.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452627693.937460.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 28

dennishoddy

Professor said:
Surprised the guy with the 12 gauge brought it back. I'd say, "I f'd up. I see where these are $125 new @ Midway. Do you want me to order you a new one or give you this $150 so you can put it toward one that is more bullet resistant?"

Said he was going to make it right, but its been a couple of years. I don't loan him things anymore.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
That's why I like the CED, all the important expensive stuff is on the table by you so most of the time depending on who your shooting with is safe :)

Crony a 12ga birdshot? some reason that doesn't sound like information that is really needed... well I guess if your going to need lead mils for a dove at 35 yards MAYBE it could be useable info to put in your ballistics calculator lol Later,

Kirk

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a small hornady digital, RCBS RAngemaster 750, and a GemPro 250. The GemPro is what Brian Enos sells. (available a bit cheaper on Amazon) It's accuracy is to .02 grains. in comparison, the Hornady accuracy is .2 grain and the Rangemaster .1 grain. I use my 30 year old RCBS 10-10 Scale to validate my digital scales. I have had a Pact auto dispenser (also sold as a RCBS) that I swapped off which would be great for precision rifle loads. Of all the GemPro fits my needs the best. I don't trust the Rangemaster or the Hornady for my use. They mainly stay in the drawer since I bought the GemPro. The GemPro is not perfect. It needs to be constantly zeroed until is warms up/ stabilizes. But that is just a minor issue as I'm usually zeroing to an empty primed case anyhow when checking my throw during setup and production samples. All of the other digital scales I have seen only have a screen readout to .1 grain which limits their resolution/accuracy. The GemPro has a .01 display which allows for a level of precision that should be better than the powder throws most of us are using.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
I’d like to piggyback on this thread a bit on the chronograph recommendations. I also want add a chronograph to my tool kit. My desires:
Must: Remote control and display. Using an iphone/ipad would be a plus.
Plus: Above remote and display to be wireless
Must: Data logging and availability to move the data to a pc by flash memory, email with smart phone of some way to keep me from hand logging the shots.
A Plus. Should calculate the ES and SD at the display or on the smartphone.
A Plus: Should be live data on the smartphone. Not run all the shots and then pull the data.

The LabRadar is beyond my budget. I already own a MagnetoSpeed V3 and it is awesome within its limitations. This one would be to fill in the gap. I have no desire to print, but want an electronic log.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm with Kirk, I just don't trust digital scales. It's good to hear that the Hornady is doing well, I just can't really justify the expense because I don't know what it will give me that my beam scale doesn't.

For a chrono I have a ProChrono that I got off of Tony. I've yet to make it NOT work, but I haven't shot it yet either. :superman: My CED had trouble reading and I had to use a black sharpie on the bullets at times. Also buying 2 sensors will almost buy you a new Prochrono, I'm pretty sure 3 of them will. My issues making PF have always been backwards from Murphy's law. I chrono at 172 and at a big match I run 179 or 180. Done that twice and once when I had both the CED and the Pro. They were both off the same way almost an identical amount. I'm pretty sure it's a lighting issue that causes variance.

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Just buy a rcbs charge master. Best thing since plastic guns. I use mine all the time for more than weighing charges, and if your ever working up loads it's just too easy just punch numbers and away you go

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
My first digital scale was from Berry's Manufacturing. It's basically a rebranded Winstead Peters. It works well and is accurate to 1/10th of a grain.

I recently purchased a Gempro (I think 300), it's the newer version up from the 250. It's accurate to .02 grains which is great for precision loads. The only problem I've had with it, and IMO it's a pretty bad problem is that when I trickle loads, the scale drifts upwards from zero. If I trickle off the scale it doesn't do that. Very strange but for the price and the accuracy it's something that I'll deal with. I can always trickle on my other scale and then verify precision loads on the Gempro. Just have to pull the pan off.

For a chronograph, I've been using the standard Caldwell. It's works fairly well, especially for the price. I added on the wireless adaptor so that the velocities show up right on my phone. The app is quite nice in that you're able to program shot strings, plug in bullets weights, etc., and then you can export the files for later manipulation on your computer. For the price, I'd recommend this unit to a friend. It has its quirks in that if the sun does occasionally play some tricks on it, but you can tell when you have an issue with it because it either displays an error, or something ridiculous like 6000 FPS from a 9mm lol. It doesn't happen very often, but the sensors are pretty sensitive to light if the sun is hitting it on the wrong angle.

Latest posts