what tools for first AR build

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Guys,

I'm going to be starting my first lower build project in the near future and want to start acquiring the right tools for the job. What tools do you guys recommend one has to make the build go smoothly?

taymoor

Skilled Lover
for just the lower? you'll need a castel nut wrench (armorer's wrench) and a set of roll pin punches at minimum.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=885858

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=925277

taymoor

Skilled Lover
other useful implements include a set of vise blocks.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=829522

And I personally always use my schuster to install the bolt catch.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=694883

Chambers

actual GM
All you REALLY need are a set of straight punches and a hammer.

The other tools make it easier but are not necessary.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
^^ what Chambers said.

Just remember when you're tapping in the roll pin for the triggerguard to make sure you have something to support the other side. It's real easy to break off one of the tabs if done improperly.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually, at the very minimum, you need a castle nut wrench and a hammer. <_<

However, needlenose pliers, a flathead screwdriver, roll pin punches, and tape can help make the process easier.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
so in other words, you just need fingers. How about we stop having a pissing match and have the OP go ahead and buy all of the above. If one is wanting to start building ARs, one needs to get out of one's niggardly ways :85:

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Don't forget eyes. It's hard to put it together without eyes. And a bench vise makes putting on the buffer tube a much easier process.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
so in other words, you just need fingers. How about we stop having a pissing match and have the OP go ahead and buy all of the above. If one is wanting to start building ARs, one needs to get out of one's niggardly ways :85:

I heard that you once built a complete AR using only a paper clip and small roll of adhesive tape (and not the real good stuff either). True or False?

taymoor

Skilled Lover
I heard that you once built a complete AR using only a paper clip and small roll of adhesive tape (and not the real good stuff either). True or False?

It is true. I taped the paperclip to a forklift's arm and delicately controlled the machine in order to assemble the lower.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I just bought mine in a box. Added boolits to the mag thingy and went shooting...........

A couple of those tools come in handy... if you don't like blood or marred parts.

I totally took apart a 1911 .... under a tent canvas, in the dark, in a flooded swamp during the rain, with a pen light in my mouth- to get the mud out of it. I used the 1911 parts to take the thing apart (just like JMB visioned it).... but It's a lot easier with TOOLS!

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I totally took apart a 1911 .... under a tent canvas, in the dark, in a flooded swamp during the rain, with a pen light in my mouth- to get the mud out of it. I used the 1911 parts to take the thing apart (just like JMB visioned it).... but It's a lot easier with TOOLS!

Chuck Norris could do that with a stare.

Latest posts