What to carry when running?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
So what do you guys carry when running and how do you carry it?

My SIL works out a bunch and runs alot on rural roads in the sticks when he's out working on drill sites. He wants a small pocket gun that he can carry while running. He's actually had some run-ins with coyotes, they seem to not be very fearful in the area he's in. I want to get him one small enough that he will carry it but has enough power to do some damage. I'm, kind of thinking about a S&W 351PD but not sure about a revolver when running. I just want to get something he will actually carry 'cuz if he leaves it in the truck, it don't really matter how good it fits the application. Anyone put hands on the new S&W Shield? Too much?

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott great thread. it will be intersting to see the responses.
I am not going to suggest a firearm. I am sure most have their views and will voice them. I would like to make a couple of points.
  1. Pistol needs to be secured in some type of holster carried in the same place/way everyday
  2. It truely is about ammo selection vs caliber 32 H&R(hot) up
  3. Has t o be easy to carry (refers to mode of carry and wt)
  4. Of course has to be manuplated easily enough to be useful (Not to big, to small, hand wraps around the grip, fingers work the controls etc under stress which also points to practice / training)
My choice of calibers if the guns fit and I am thinking Taurus here is 327 MAG and 44 SPC. Two extrems nearly, but both offer a lot of hurt on the receiving end and not harsh on the other. Both are also fairly easy when it comes to the wt.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Let's think about the BGs and the face eating zombies as well.. When a 16 yr old girl can be murdered at a store in a small town (forgot the name last week here in OK) and elderly women can be rapped and murdered there is no reason not to carry unless law or work wont allow.

Wasn't sure if SIL was for sister in law or not when you stated "he", but with the way things are today I was afraid to seek clarification. It doesn't matter there be crazy people trying to kill and eat peoples faces for no reason at all it seems.

Modoc

Active Fanatic
I am looking at this too, except for Biking. I have a hammerless J-frame airweight that I can carry and am looking at the microfiber undershirt with the built in shoulder holster for under a loose fitting jersy. Another thought that I had is a small belt pouch for the CCW, Inhaler, Epi-pen and wallet. There the big size constraint is the length of the ep-pen, since it is longer than the J-frame.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I would only run if something mean was chasing me ... heh

I bike off and on depending on how nice the weather is. I have a bag on my bike where I can keep tools, extra tubes, hand pump, etc. I would probably. just toss my Glock 26 in there. They also make little bags that go on your cross tube right behind your handle bars. Would probably be a better choice since it would be easier to get to.

If you do decide to carry while running, make sure the holster you have is leather or kydex so you're not getting sweat all over your gun.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
my wife just picked up a ruger lc9 and we are waiting on her 5.11 carry shirt to get her for her running.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry a PF-9 in one of these:

http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321496070781

Not the most comfortable thing, due to sweat, but I've both run and biked with it. Other than being hot, it's not too bad.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
The first rule of zombie land is cardio.

i am interested to see what everyone else suggests I have thought about the under shirts with the shoulder holster pockets stitched on but I would like to hear from someone who has one first

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
The first rule of zombie land is cardio.

i am interested to see what everyone else suggests I have thought about the under shirts with the shoulder holster pockets stitched on but I would like to hear from someone who has one first

I have one of those too.

LC9 or something similar in a 5.11 holster shirt. I carry my gun under one arm and my iPhone under the other arm.

I don't think mine is 5.11, have to check when I get home. If you get one, check the seams; mine is itchy due to the way the stitching is done on the inside of the holster "pocket" area.

As far as concealing, I have carried a steel framed K-frame size 2 3/4" revolver in it before. That was about max weight before the velcro and elastic wouldn't support very well.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
First off I don't run unless someone is chasing me. If I did run I'd carry a really mean look on my face so nobody would want to mess with me.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I already know that I'm a dead man in a real gun fight because i only train for competitions and everyone knows that **** will get you killed on the streets.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I already know that I'm a dead man in a real gun fight because i only train for competitions and everyone knows that **** will get you killed on the streets.

Actually...I'd be afraid that you would slay every body on the parking lot or in the store. Unless we looked like white cardboard, of course.

About the only way you'd get killed doint that ****... maybe you hit a tango 'down 3' ---he survives and caps you on the way to the blue barrel that's supposed to have a shotgun in it. Maybe you will be OK when Walmart starts putting blue barrels full of long guns in every aisle? :eek:nthequiet:

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Actually...I'd be afraid that you would slay every body on the parking lot or in the store. Unless we looked like white cardboard, of course.

About the only way you'd get killed doint that ****... maybe you hit a tango 'down 3' ---he survives and caps you on the way to the blue barrel that's supposed to have a shotgun in it. Maybe you will be OK when Walmart starts putting blue barrels full of long guns in every aisle? :eek:nthequiet:

I am thinking about getting some of those "hands up" stencils on my chest just because I know you.

Latest posts