What powders for coated 147gr 9mm

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
Getting ready to start load development for this bullet. What powder is everyone using. I have a **** ton of win 231/hp 38, but now I'm starting to question that choice.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm assuming that it wins over 231 due to volume/weight ratio? I figured it would be fine on burn rate, but not many people seem to use it.

noylj

Fanatic
For what purpose?
Action Pistol? A fast powder (AA2 to 231/HP38) is usually desired, with AA2 and Solo 1000 being my favorites.
Accuracy? A slow powder (AA5-Herco) is best, with Power Pistol being excellent.
Popularity? Many die-hard TiteGroup users, though I find it doesn't do always well with lead or coated bullets.
For me, I use Power Pistol for my 9x19 loads and Silhouette for my 9x21 loads.

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
Mostly for 3 gun, but I want to make minimum power factor for the odd uspsa match I make it to. So far I have tried power pistol and titegroup and haven't been happy with either.

Jcawthon

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been using Titegroup for about a year now, I've used many weights and bullet types all in 9mm. Yes it burns hot and fast, seems to do fine with coated. I shoot 147 Blue Bullets right now and doesn't seem to smoke much at all, barrel look fine after shooting as well. I haven't tried many other powders though. Shot 1lb of CFE Pistol a while back, that also worked really well, just have to use more of it.

noylj said:
For what purpose?
Action Pistol? A fast powder (AA2 to 231/HP38) is usually desired, with AA2 and Solo 1000 being my favorites.
Accuracy? A slow powder (AA5-Herco) is best, with Power Pistol being excellent.
Popularity? Many die-hard TiteGroup users, though I find it doesn't do always well with lead or coated bullets.
For me, I use Power Pistol for my 9x19 loads and Silhouette for my 9x21 loads.
I would agree that TG does not do too well with bare lead. tried that, much leading, tumbling and smoking.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
bullseyeeeeeeeeeeee

seriously though I use WSF. It works and seems to last longer in panics than WST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I went ahead and gave win231 a shot. I started at 3.1 grains with an oal of 1.058. I averaged 825fps. My bullet is dropping from the mold at 156 grains so it's just over minimum power factor. I may bump it up a little for insurance and see what happens. I'll be on the lookout for some wst or wsf to try out.

jlo86cj

Active Fanatic
I run 3.3gr of 231 under Acme 147's and they are about 131pf in my CZ's. 320 smokes a LITTLE less but not worth the price IMO

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I am officially giving up on the Lyman 356637. No matter what I do I can't keep it from tumbling. Back to my 125 grain black bullets.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
jcameron996 said:
I am officially giving up on the Lyman 356637. No matter what I do I can't keep it from tumbling. Back to my 125 grain black bullets.

I've seen first hand WST cure tumbling 9mm lead bullets. They were using Titegroup. I handed them a hand full of mine which were loaded with the same EXACT bullet at the same EXACT O.A.L. and they shot beautiful little groups. WST was the only difference.

I have a stash of WST but I'm going to give Alliant E3 a shot, it works good in .40 and .45 and it's not temp sensitive. My WST stash is my "if SHTF i'll keep shooting, I know it works" supply.

EDIT: If you are dropping that heavy out of that mold, it sounds like you may need to harden your melt up some. Tin and antimony doesn't weigh as much as lead so that may be some of your problem, but it's likely something else. What are you sizing them to?

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
I tried .356 and .357 with no luck. You are probably right on the alloy. They were cast out of straight clip on wheel weights. I'm holding onto the left over bullets and keep an eye out for some WST.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Mitch Gibson said:
3.2gr of Titegroup for 131-133 Power Factor

What bullet are you using? I'm wanting to try 147 Blue Bullet in my PCC with Titegroup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Pstmstr said:
What bullet are you using? I'm wanting to try 147 Blue Bullet in my PCC with Titegroup.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
124gr Blue Bullet. If you want to use a 147, then use 3.2gr Titegroup. OAL is 1.090".

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Would this thread also be pertinent to 9mm 147 gr Berry's Bullets? I am just getting ready to start loading.
Who's using what powder with these bullets?

SoonerPast1

Well-Known Fanatic
WSF works well. The 147 gr., flat point was difficult for me to get the load right. It wasn't the powder, but the cartridge overall length. The solution for me was a shorter COL than any load data suggested. An overall length of 1.40 feeds reliably and requires the minimum powder charge, 3.9 grains. Any thing close to the 1.169" would not chamber reliably in either my 1911 or XD.

Latest posts