What makes a good three gun AR?

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm relatively new to the whole competition shooting world and have been reading up a lot about three gun. I would love to give this a try sometime next year if I come up with a shogun for it other than my Mossy 500. Right now I have a stock Hesse AR15-A2 with a 20" barrel and the A2 carry handle upper with iron sights. Without breaking the bank what kind of upgrades should I do to this to make it a little better for three gun? My only other option right now for three gun would be a stock Chinese SKS.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
the best thing you can do is not spend any money at all, show up to a match, borrow other peoples gear and you will learn more that day than 1 month on the internet.. I can tell you from experience that you don't want to start doing little things here and there.. because then you will go to a match and realize your money would have been better off spent on something else.. you are more than welcome to borrow any of my gear and i won't be the only one..

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
That upper is good for Tac irons division and that's about it. Do like Benjamin says and come shoot. We all have plenty of stuff to ensure you have a good time. Once you see what others are shooting and get to touch it and shoot it you will have a much better understanding of why you want something rather than just what someone else thinks you should be using.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
...Once you see what others are shooting and get to touch it and shoot it you will have a much better understanding of why you want something rather than just what someone else thinks you should be using.
This is the TRUTH !
As a very new 3 gun competitor, I have learned more at the 2 matches I have been in then in the previous 6 months when I tried to learn everything I could online.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Buy some ammo and shoot at all distances between 7 yards and 500 yards and get to where you're comfortable in your abilities, then run a couple matches and shoot some other gear either during the match or afterwards and make your decisions from there.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
Buy some ammo and shoot at all distances between 7 yards and 500 yards and get to where you're comfortable in your abilities, then run a couple matches and shoot some other gear either during the match or afterwards and make your decisions from there.

That sounds like a good plan. Other than the fact that the rifle range I have been going to all summer is only a 200 yd range. I'm pretty comfortable out to that yardage though. I've been doing almost all of my shooting this year at the Dept of Wildlife range at Canton Lake.

Latest posts