What is your plan for keeping your sight if you wear glasses

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
I wear glass or contacts. Obviously this becomes a concern in a SHTF situation. What is your plan to keep your vision? Do you have a large black framed pair laying around? Extra contacts (which would only last about a year or 2)?

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
thebrasilian said:
I wear glass or contacts. Obviously this becomes a concern in a SHTF situation. What is your plan to keep your vision? Do you have a large black framed pair laying around? Extra contacts (which would only last about a year or 2)?

Buying a bunch of cheap glasses online while the factories are still running, or get lasek. Those really are the only two options I can foresee for those who are seeing-impaired, of which my wife and I belong.

Johnnyb

Well-Known Fanatic
I spend whole weeks in the dark to work on my other senses, hope to end up with similar abilities to that daredevil cat

:D sounds cool at least, my eyes are VERY bad, to the point where any glasses would be between 1/4 and 1/2 thick....I need to get a glasses prescription and order a few pr from that online place which sells them for $10 a pr, havent done it yet tho

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
Johnnyb said:
I spend whole weeks in the dark to work on my other senses, hope to end up with similar abilities to that daredevil cat

:D sounds cool at least, my eyes are VERY bad, to the point where any glasses would be between 1/4 and 1/2 thick....I need to get a glasses prescription and order a few pr from that online place which sells them for $10 a pr, havent done it yet tho

Do you have a link to that online place?

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, in SHTF, optometrists are going to need to eat too. When they get hungry enough, they know where glasses are manufactured. ;)

For me, I'll probably just squint a lot. My glasses don't help much anyways.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
We stockpile our old glasses and have plans to get the oldest pairs updated with new prescriptions.
We also have eyeglass repair kits and extra screws.
I didn't realize that contacts had expiration dates. You'd think they'd last indefinitely if they were stored in their factory packaging.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
wal mart has a 3 pack of reading glasses for about 8 bucks.

dont forget a hard case.
Depending on how hard the SHTF, you might not be doing too much reading. Maybe some gunsmithing... a magnifying glass and of course binoculars should be on your list. You can also start a fire with a magnifying glass, assuming the sky is not blacked out.

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
As a glasses wearer, I'm seriously thinking about lasik. My glasses are fine in daily life, but I feel like I spend half of the time at the range wiping them down (what...I'm sweaty). I think the expense would probably be worth it in the long run.

On the other hand, I also enjoy wearing glasses for a myriad of reasons:
Excellent prop for adding drama to any conversation (lets face it, looking over glasses conveys contempt perfectly)
Less likely to get punched (at least until 4th grade)
Limited defense against spitting cobras and camels

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i saw a guy on you tube polish the bottom of a drink can and start a fire.

yeah right now i only need glasses close up but im going to get some prescription cause it has started, just not essential yet.

Johnnyb

Well-Known Fanatic
thebrasilian said:
Johnnyb said:

Do you have a link to that online place?

http://www.zennioptical.com/

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
I keep all my old hard contacts just in case I lose a newer one.

I also sit in dark and quiet rooms listening to TheBrazilian cuss as he bounces off the walls while trying to develop his cat like skillz.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a few sets of Sawfly Revision Ballistic Glasses with prescription inserts.

The Sawflies are pretty much indestructible. You can swap the lenses for clear and sunglass style in under a minute. They're good high quality safety or shooting glasses.

The inserts are small. I didn't get them from this particular site but it looks like they are available for $100 (http://www.eyewearplanet.com/revision-s ... serts.html).

Between a stack of old glasses and a few prescription Sawflies I think I am good for most situations.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
that reminded me of an old western where the optomitrist was on the train and checked John Wayne, or somebodys, eyesight.

he had a case with an "eyesight checker" and sample lenses. that might be a nice "kit" to sell preppers.

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
I keep a few small magnifying lenses in my first aid and emergency kits just in case something happened to my glasses and need to read directions or labels printed on those small packaged items. Since my vision issues are with reading this works for me.

Latest posts