what is the correct way to unsling a rifle/shotty?

Jeremy Moore

Well-Known Fanatic
Search YouTube for Rocky Mountain, Blue Ridge or Taskforce Dagger Multigun. Those are 3 that come to mind that use slings. Don't worry about the muzzle until you put one in the chamber, that's when the 180 usually starts.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeremy Moore said:
Search YouTube for Rocky Mountain, Blue Ridge or Taskforce Dagger Multigun. Those are 3 that come to mind that use slings. Don't worry about the muzzle until you put one in the chamber, that's when the 180 usually starts.
Is this a joke?

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
After seeing the acrobatics of spinning, dropping and tying themselves up in a sling while trying to put on or take off a long gun during a match.....its no joke.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
LuckyDucky (Spencer) said:
Is this a joke?
He's serious. Typically the point of slinging a long gun in 3 gun is so that you don't have to stage your long gun way down range which adds time to the reset and/or start of the stage. So the RO will check to make sure your sling gun is clear and off to go. You can unsling it anyway you like without worrying about where the muzzle is pointed. It's kinda weird and counterintuitive now that you mention it.

I don't think there is really a correct way. Sometimes I'll leave the sling on sometimes ill take it completely off. The big goal is to get it where it doesn't get in the way while shooting. I am not a huge fan of slinging long guns in matches. I'd rather shoot on the clock than mess with a sling.

MiniUzi

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd add to this that you need to put ALL your gear on, magazines pistol etc... and sling the gun and then try to unsling it. The "Correct way" to unsling is any way where you do not knock your pistol out of your holster (seen it happen a few times) and get a match or stage DQ. I carry mine to my support side (left) and usually across my back muzzle up so if I have to take a knee or something I don't put my muzzle in the dirt or mud.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
MiniUzi said:
I'd add to this that you need to put ALL your gear on, magazines pistol etc... and sling the gun and then try to unsling it. The "Correct way" to unsling is any way where you do not knock your pistol out of your holster (seen it happen a few times) and get a match or stage DQ. I carry mine to my support side (left) and usually across my back muzzle up so if I have to take a knee or something I don't put my muzzle in the dirt or mud.
Good point! Run around some too. You don't want to test your gear for the first time in a match.

ChrisS

Fanatic
Like others have said. The RO will verify it's an empty gun, therefore nothing more than an expensive club until you load it.

MiniUzi nailed it..... You will definitely want to practice with all your gear on and practice regularly. If it's not automatic you'll look like monkey fumbling with your gear at the start line trying to get your sling on how you like it..

Another thing to consider if you're going to a match with slung long guns, is to set the guns themselves up for it. For instance, that enormous extended latch on your charging handle will act like a fricken pick axe in your back when you start moving and running. Same goes for the bolt handle on your shotgun. I should have taken pictures of the bruises on my back from my first trip to Blue Ridge.

My sling of choice is the VTAC. Method of how I will sling is dependent on the stage design. If there is any prone or kneeling I'll sling with the strap running over my right shoulder to my left hip with the muzzle up. If it's all standing I'll do the same with the muzzle down just cause I can get it unslung cleaner. Been doing a lot of sling practice lately getting ready for TFD in a few weeks.

Latest posts