What I learned today.....

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
The local range does not allow shotguns, or rapid fire, drawing from a holster, or moving and shooting. Today a friend and I found a National Forest shooting range. It is free, and was completely empty allowing us to do all of the above freely. Other than having to bring our own target stands, it was great! This was my first time ever shooting a shotgun. I had to be sure I knew how to shoot it before the beginner class Monday on 3 gun with Jerry, Kay, and Lena Miculek. Despite the rain (my friend texted me to tell me it was going to rain and I told him he wouldn't melt, I was shooting rain or shine), it was a great experience. Here are some things I learned:

1. I can shoot a 12G shotgun with no problem, even if I am a girl! (Not on boomershooter, but I had tons of men here at home telling me I had no business with a 12G, I needed to shoot 20G because I'm a girl. This only made me want to prove them wrong :)

2. Shotgun is a whole new concept. It almost felt like cheating, it was easy to hit the clays without having to line sights up!

3. I have much more to learn about LOADING a shotgun than actually shooting it. Better get to practicing!

4. I have got to get a belt system. Took me 15 minutes to get all the crap arranged on my belt. And I don't have a lot of real estate there so finding a place for everything was interesting. A belt system would make my life so much easier.

5. I do not suck as much at shooting pistol fast as I thought. The only times I have shot fast has been at USPSA matches, and of course I didn't want mikes, so I go ultra conservative. I have got to practice shooting fast more when it doesn't count to see what I can actually do and build confidence.

6. Baby stroller.....I thought you guys were nuts. I officially eat my words. Garage sales, here I come!

7. This is going to be fun. A LOT of fun. 3 guns. Running around shooting fast. Awesome. I haven't even shot a match yet and I'm addicted!

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Jennifer S. said:
It would never work. Because in a year when I have worked my ass off at this and outshoot you, you would be upset. :triniti:
Don't tell anybody if I cry about it.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
There was the 3 gun nation series stuff. It had classifiers and everything. I don't know anything about it really, but it does exist at some level.

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't go thinking that shotgun is just point in the general direction and all is well. On clays that chit will work. On the evil 4" tall pieces of 3x3 angle iron that we encounter all the time, you'd better take your time and aim at them. I've seen those little bastards take a licking and climb back up on the post acting like you never even hit 'em....

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
JPeel said:
Don't go thinking that shotgun is just point in the general direction and all is well. On clays that chit will work. On the evil 4" tall pieces of 3x3 angle iron that we encounter all the time, you'd better take your time and aim at them. I've seen those little bastards take a licking and climb back up on the post acting like you never even hit 'em....
Good to know! I didn't mean to sound like I have nothing to learn about shooting a shotty, because I am sure I still have tons to learn. But the reloading is something I will HAVE to work on!!

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
Jennifer S. said:
Good to know! I didn't mean to sound like I have nothing to learn about shooting a shotty, because I am sure I still have tons to learn. But the reloading is something I will HAVE to work on!!
I was just thinking, your avatar pic looks a lot like Shooters. And then I saw you were from NA. Im guessing you are talking about Beaverdam Gun Range. Be careful going up there. There's no cell phone service and I've heard stories of people running out of the woods and stealing guns when people walk downrange.

Also, come down to Pinetucky this month (March 15th) and shoot in the local 3-gun match. There are a good 6-8 of us here in the CSRA that are pretty serious about 3-gun and we always welcome newcomers. Also, some of us have been driving to Atlanta for the Noveske sponsored monthly club matches over there, and they are really top notch.

Looking forward to meeting you!
Mac

Jennifer Herd Seymour

Glitter Britches
bullittmcqueen said:
I was just thinking, your avatar pic looks a lot like Shooters. And then I saw you were from NA. Im guessing you are talking about Beaverdam Gun Range. Be careful going up there. There's no cell phone service and I've heard stories of people running out of the woods and stealing guns when people walk downrange.

Also, come down to Pinetucky this month (March 15th) and shoot in the local 3-gun match. There are a good 6-8 of us here in the CSRA that are pretty serious about 3-gun and we always welcome newcomers. Also, some of us have been driving to Atlanta for the Noveske sponsored monthly club matches over there, and they are really top notch.

Looking forward to meeting you!
Mac
Yay!!!!!!! Someone local!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I don't love all of you Oklahoma guys and gals, but nice to have someone local!! Yes, my pic is at shooters, I spend way too much time there (Jesus call me norm). I have heard the same and went with a male, I wouldn't go alone. It was raining so I doubt anyone was in the woods. We were the only fools out in the rain, but I will keep that in mind.

I am planning on shooting the match on the 15th. It is my birthday and will be my first 3 gun match. Do you shoot USPSA? If so I may have met you. I have shot 5 of the USPSA matches at Pinetucky. I would like to go to Atlanta and shoot since it is the same place as the Brownell's Lady 3 gun pro am in October. I signed up for it. It was either the smartest thing or the dumbest thing I've ever done. We will see!

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
I wasn't implying that you thought you had this all figured out. Just relating personal failures!

Case in point: last weekend we had a fast qualifier-like stage with these 10" tall slender steel plates to engage with the shotty. As long as you don't shoot over them they'd go fying, and I rocked them really fast. Next stage up is those evil angle iron pieces and I'm still in go-fast mode and shoot over the top of them and have 3 makeup shots on 8 targets. GRRRRRR.....

And please don't accuse me of being an Oklahoma guy again... :)

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
4. I have got to get a belt system. Took me 15 minutes to get all the crap arranged on my belt. And I don't have a lot of real estate there so finding a place for everything was interesting. A belt system would make my life so much easier.

Try looking at a chest rig/cumberbund for load 2. I keep my belt similar to my USPSA setup. I just add an AR mag holder and cheap oh crap shotshell caddy. Techloks are your friend. I can add 4 quad load caddies for a shotgun stage, giving me 22 on belt and 16 on my chest. But my quad loading ability is dubious at best right now.

Jeffrey Hite

Well-Known Fanatic
Bob is right, if you don't have a lot of room on your belt, try a load 2 vest. I have a Mark Otto load 2 and a Quad load. So far everyone I have shown how to use it can load 8 rounds in 6 sec or less in about 30 min of practice. They are not cheep but to be able to hold up 24 rounds at once I think its worth it.

Latest posts