What holster for centerfire limited division in steel challenge?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
I am shooting an M&P for limited division in steel challenge. I have noticed my draws are SLOW. I am unclear of the holster rules. Are they the same as USPSA? What holster would you guys recommend?
Thanks!

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Most I have seen run race style holsters. I ran a Ghost holster, and saw a lot of AA, and CR Speed holsters as well. From what I could find in the rules and what I saw the couple of times I have done it, the rules for holsters and gear feel right in line with USPSA.

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
1. Open: This is the race division! All legal firearms are al- lowed. Optics, Compensators, and any safe holster/position are specifically allowed.
2. Limited: Any iron-sighted pistol without a compensator, barrel ports, or optical sight.
Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed.
3. Production: Any double action or safe action pistol on the USPSA Production gun list. No Race holsters allowed.
4. IPSC Production: Any double action or safe action holsters allowed per IPSC Production guidelines.
5. Single Stack: (USPSA handgun rule book). i.e. 1911 models only, no race holsters allowed.
6. Revolver: Any iron sighted revolver without a compensator, barrel ports or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed. No barrel length or holster restrictions.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Terry Kendell (Old Gun) said:
1. Open: This is the race division! All legal firearms are al- lowed. Optics, Compensators, and any safe holster/position are specifically allowed.
2. Limited: Any iron-sighted pistol without a compensator, barrel ports, or optical sight.
3. Production: Any double action or safe action pistol on the USPSA Production gun list. No Race holsters allowed.
4. IPSC Production: Any double action or safe action holsters allowed per IPSC Production guidelines.
5. Single Stack: (USPSA handgun rule book). i.e. 1911 models only, no race holsters allowed.
6. Revolver: Any iron sighted revolver without a compensator, barrel ports or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed. No barrel length or holster restrictions.
The OP was asking about SCSA not USPSA.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
For steel challenge center fire limited division, you can use any holster that securely holds the gun & covers the trigger guard.

Lots of guys use the race style open holsters but many use the kydex holsters as well.

I've been using the safariland 014 lately for uspsa & steel challenge & I really like it. It's very secure & fast. Raise the gun about 3/8-1/2" & your out of the holster. It's got a very positive lock that I've not been able to pull the gun past the couple times I've forgotten to unlock it at make ready. One day I may actually rip the holster off my belt....lol

2100099.jpg

jtischauser

Terry Kendell (Old Gun) said:
USPSA Website http://www.uspsa.org/
Then Steel Challenge (Lower Left on Header)
Or http://steelchallenge.com/ then rules or
http://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-Rules-Home.php
Appendix A Competitions Divisions Section Three (1-6)

I believe that USPSA is rewording the Steel Challenge Rule to agree with USPSA when possible
Hmmm! Those looks like USPSA divisions. Are they planning or have they already changed the divisions to match USPSA? I thought SCSA only has open/limited?

Center Fire Pistol: Any pistol firing (9mm/.38 Special) or larger ammunition (see “ammunition” rule 4.1.1). This event has multiple equipment divisions as follows.
Open: This is the race division! All legal firearms are al- lowed. Optics, Compensators, and any safe holster/position are specifically allowed.
Limited: Any iron-sighted pistol without a compensator, barrel ports, or optical sight.

Production: Any double action or safe action pistol on the USPSA Production gun list. No Race holsters allowed.
IPSC Production: Any double action or safe action
1 4 handgun on the IPSC Production handgun list…race1 5

holsters allowed per IPSC Production guidelines.

Single Stack: Will be governed by the criteria in the USPSA handgun rule book. i.e. 1911 models only, no race holsters allowed.
Revolver: Any iron sighted revolver without a compensator, barrel ports or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed. No barrel length or holster restrictions. No restrictions for maximum rounds.

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse those have always been the divisions but for local matches most clubs just run open and limited because of the smaller turnouts. Otherwise you would have a bunch of divisions with 1 person in it.

jtischauser

Ryan Alexander said:
Jesse those have always been the divisions but for local matches most clubs just run open and limited because of the smaller turnouts. Otherwise you would have a bunch of divisions with 1 person in it.
Somebitch! I guess that shows how much I know about steel challenge. I watch Max and KC battle it out on Shooting USA every year but they never mention the other divisions.

Latest posts