What happens when legislators begin to make decisions pertaining to wildlife and its management.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Or, My Dumb Home State of Indiana.

This has nothing to do with VP-Elect Pence, albeit he did sign the bill that allowed some rifle calibres to be used in deer hunting this year on private land. Before this the only firearms legal were shotguns, muzzleloaders and pistol or rifles with a few pistol cailbres.

What is dumb about this?

Only calibers firing bullets of .243 or .308 in. are legal. So it is now legal to hunt deer with a .30 Carbine but not a 7mm or .270 or .45-70. That is truly stoopid IMO. If rifles are to be declared legal, then all rifle calibers should be allowed (except .50 BMG because some Hoosiers would rush to the woods with their Barretts). Leave it to Indiana to make up a new law that doesn't make sense and confuses the hell out of its already intellectually challenged residents.

This was a legislative action. Gov. Pence signed the bill allowing the trial period of rifle hunting until 2020. While hunters were split on the issue, the Dept. of Natural Resources decided against the use of rifles. However, Rep. Lloyd Arnold came to the rescue and authored HB1231, which passed both house and senate and was later signed by then Gov. Pence.

Rep. Lloyd Arnold said, “There are only five new calibers you can use, and we already have muzzle loaders that can shoot over 300 to 400 yards. I can use every one of those guns 365 days a year for any other species besides deer. Why do we have that restriction? It doesn’t make sense.”

In the end, the number of legal calibers was much greater, but still the bullet diameter could only be .243 or .308 in. And Arnold’s claim that muzzle loaders can shoot “over 300 to 400 yards” is like a Kipling Just So Story. Sure, modern muzzleloaders can fire projectiles that far, but they are only reliable for hunting deer out about 200 yards (for discussion see http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/black-powder-cold-hard-truth-about-muzzleloaders).

I like hunting in Oklahoma.

See also
http://www.guns.com/2016/03/28/indiana-approves-deer-hunting-with-rifles

dennishoddy

I pheasant hunted in Indiana years ago. The bird had to be in the air at a 45 degree angle or somewhere close to that before you could shoot.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. -Groucho

Latest posts