What grain 556/223 and barrel twist do you use for 3Gun. since you shoot from 2ft to 500+ yards some

Mondo Garcia

Well-Known Fanatic
What grain 556/223 and barrel twist do you use for 3Gun. since you shoot from 2ft to 500+ yards sometimes?

Do you use 55grain for close up and then change to the heavier grain for those 500+ yard shots?

Thanks
mondo

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
most use 55grn for everything but there are some that use a heavier bullet for long dist.

I use a 1/8 twist with 55grn bullets

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Reason I shoot 69's at distance is they are more accurate. I don't hand load. None of the 55gr factory ammo I've shot Holds sub MOA groups like my 69's will. Last year at the us carbine association 2 gun match we shot c zone or larger targets at 200 and full size Ipsc steel at 300. I shot 1-2 moa 55gr hoser ammo on everything.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
1:9 16" barrel. 55 grain HPBT. At my level, if I have 4 misses, I'm moving on anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mondo Garcia

Well-Known Fanatic
QUESTION: If you know you will be shooting in a match where you will be shooting 55gr for closer targets and 69gr for farther targets, then which gr do you sight in, and at what yardage.
I have a Vortex 1-6 and it says to sight in at 200yards, but of course that would be if you were only using one gr bullet and not both in the same range.

Thanks
Mondo

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I zero for the long stuff and know where the short range stuff hits and how far it has the same POI as the long range ammo. Usually I can shoot my hoser ammo out to 200 or even 300 like the guys above said unless the targets are small like 4" autopoppers at 100 yards and out. Those little SOB's are to tough to hold 1-2" different then dead center.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
AnimalCustoms said:
QUESTION: If you know you will be shooting in a match where you will be shooting 55gr for closer targets and 69gr for farther targets, then which gr do you sight in, and at what yardage.
I have a Vortex 1-6 and it says to sight in at 200yards, but of course that would be if you were only using one gr bullet and not both in the same range.

Thanks
Mondo
the 69 and 55 i shoot group so close together it doesnt matter, i suggest you find the same, right now im shooting a lot of xm193 and a 69gr sierra handload, i think you will find most saying to sight in with your long range... and that is probably the best advice

Dillen Easley

Active Fanatic
69gr SMK for everything from 1' to 600yds, but I hand load and my time is worth more than saving some cash on cheaper bullets for in close stuff. Plus, I drive to Sedalia, MO to Sierra Bullets and raid their blems a few times per year. It does make things nice since I only have to take one kind of ammo with me and never have to worry about which mag is loaded with what.

If I didn't handload or didnt live near Sierra...I would probably still be shooting bulk 55gr for under 100yds and 69gr PRVI or better for beyond 100.

My voodoo ultralight barrel is a 1/7 twist I believe.

TheRealKoop

Well-Known Fanatic
55's for 0-50. 75's for 50-600.

200 yard zero on the 75's puts me at a 300 yard zero for the 55's. If a stage goes from hoser targets to long range, Ill stack just enough 55's on the top of the mag to drop 2 shots on each. If I need to shoot extra it doesnt bother me to use a few extra 75's.

I would happily use my 55's further out if they didnt have such a large delta in POI from my 75's. For local matches I just sight the 55's in at 200 and call it good.

Latest posts