what does everyone like on an Open Gun?

Im going to be building some open guns, but before I do, what do you guys all like on your open guns?

I know it has to have a slide tracker/racker and a muzzle brake, what else? a RDS or a aimpoint?

What caliber?

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Sounds like a troll.. Mike build an open gun???

9mm for sure.. 38 is dying on the vine.. Slide rackers are only required with a 90 degree mount. I think a lot of folks are going back to the vertical mount though. I would think the new Delta Point Pro and the c-more RDS (new one) are going to be very popular, but the slide-ridle will never go away. It's too reliable. A titanium 4 port comp like the cheely, cut the snot out of the slide to get it close to 10 oz as possible, and get ready for the complaints, because that's what open shooters do... :)

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I had a response typed up but figured it was easier to say this:

Pretty much the opposite of what Pinto just said

pre_1459198136__11406782_575865439219871_3054018488006840540_n.jpg

Feegee

The Magic Man
I herd that Bedell has some new super bad ass comp for 9 major guns. My point is make a 9major gun that has good recoil impulse, and reliable. AI has a very good track record of guns that run!!! Mike I can't wait until you start turning out some open blasters. I will sell all my open guns to get money for one of yours. So put me on the list.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
From experience, the eyesight goes before the peepee.

About the same time, your back will go bye bye. Hence the need for shooting 9 Major. You can consider local club matches as lost brass matches and not beat yourself up over it.

Flatland Shooter said:
From experience, the eyesight goes before the peepee.

About the same time, your back will go bye bye. Hence the need for shooting 9 Major. You can consider local club matches as lost brass matches and not beat yourself up over it.
oh yeah, my back is gone. left about three months ago
Micah_Rowe said:
I like A1 on my open gun
mmm, that sounds good. Ill have that.

45recoil

likes to party
Feegee Matlock said:
I herd that Bedell has some new super bad ass comp for 9 major guns. My point is make a 9major gun that has good recoil impulse, and reliable. AI has a very good track record of guns that run!!! Mike I can't wait until you start turning out some open blasters. I will sell all my open guns to get money for one of yours. So put me on the list.
This made my day when i 'red' it again.

Todd7446

New Fanatic
As a guy who shoots Open in USPSA, I'm looking to try 3-gun this year and planned to shoot Open/Unlimited there. Help me understand some things. I didn't think there was a power factor requirement like USPSA, so I thought the hot setup would be a comp'd 9 minor gun. Also expected that a DeltaPoint Pro on the slide instead of a mount might be the real ticket. Am I looking at it wrong?

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Todd7446 said:
As a guy who shoots Open in USPSA, I'm looking to try 3-gun this year and planned to shoot Open/Unlimited there. Help me understand some things. I didn't think there was a power factor requirement like USPSA, so I thought the hot setup would be a comp'd 9 minor gun. Also expected that a DeltaPoint Pro on the slide instead of a mount might be the real ticket. Am I looking at it wrong?
If I've got this right, USPSA Multigun matches can use traditional hit factor scoring (major/minor affects target scoring) or time plus. 3GN and the other 4 gun matches I've shot were always time plus scoring. So major/minor do not come into play.

Even shooting minor with no floor, you still need to be able to knock down steel. I try to stay above 130 PF and have not had problems.

The slide mounted red dot opens up your selection of holsters, For 3 gun, retention and protection of your handgun requires more than most of the Open rigs found in USPSA. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I really trusted my CR Speed holster until I saw a competitor at a major match outrun his handgun.

Latest posts