What do your NRA member dues really get you?

Bunchies95

Active Fanatic
Since I have become an NRA recruiter, I have found that a majority of people really do not understand what their membership dues go towards. Most people think that by becoming a member, they are helping fund the NRA's efforts to block gun control. That is FUNDAMENTLY WRONG!

The NRA's status as a non-profit does not let them legaly use membership dues for lobbying efforts. So where does that money go? Let's look at a new member:

Membership Dues:$25/year ($35 if recruitor won't drop the price the approved amount)

Direct Costs
  • NRA Hat
  • Monthly Magazine
  • Membership Card and Decals
  • $2,500 gun insurance
  • Life Insurance
Indirect costs
  • Don't forget about the office staff.....
  • Recruiter potentially gets $10 commission
  • Materials/Course development for NRA firearms training
That $25 is getting stretched pretty thin, ain't it?

Now I'm not saying don't join the NRA. By all means do. The more members the NRA has, the stronger their voice is. But since they cannot legally use membership dues to fund the lobbying efforts, they must raise the money another way. That is why they call asking for donations. A majority of donations go to the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action). That is the lobbying arm for the NRA.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
scalpelarms said:
So what your saying is if you want to support the effort of the NRA it would be best to donate your $25 instead of becoming a member?
but then you would miss out on the 23 email mailing lists you somehow get signed up for.

Bunchies95

Active Fanatic
scalpelarms said:
So what your saying is if you want to support the effort of the NRA it would be best to donate your $25 instead of becoming a member?
Well there are a few things in play here. By becoming a member, it allows the NRA to say that they represent Xmillion +1 people. The larger that number is, the more some senators may listen.But if you want to directly support the lobbying efforts (videos, advertisements, lobbyists salaries i.e. scumbags fighting for us, etc.) than donations to the NRA-ILA are more appropriate.

Honestly, do both. Sign up for a lifetime membership, then use the money you saved on the discount to make a donation to the NRA-ILA.

Or be like me, semi-broke recent graduate who donates his recruiting comission back to the NRA.

Or maybe even best yet, get non-shooters into the shooting sports. I wouldn't stray too far into trying to convince libtards though (they may have fun but still be against it).

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
NRA? Lets just look at the basics.
Were it not for the NRA we would at best be limited to airsoft weapons for sports, hunting, and defense.
Like it or lump it, those are the facts in my opinion.
Join and donate until it hurts to the ILA and PVC or one day soon you'll be gettting into airsoft.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
when I joined up about 8 months ago they were running a special that you get a free range bag with membership. Well, I still haven't seen my range bag, but I have seen about three dozen renewal notices. it's getting pretty damn annoying.

I don't mind helping out the NRA with little money here and there but, 2 weeks after joining I get a renewal notice and then it's been every two weeks since then. It's a little much.

dennishoddy

Some of the NRA funds also go to gun ranges for improvements. The rules are very strict about who gets what and how much. There is a mountain of paperwork involved.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Some of the NRA funds also go to gun ranges for improvements. The rules are very strict about who gets what and how much. There is a mountain of paperwork involved.
Our home range has benefitted greatly from the NRA. It may be small, and podunk by some standards, but along with the usual fare, we have 6 bays, an amazing MD that designs stages that attracts shooters from over 100 miles away. Next month is our Friends of the NRA match. I think last year we had over 90 shooters for this match.

Latest posts