What choke and shotgun shells (not slugs) do we like for 3gun?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Factory chokes work but a set of extended chokes is so much easier and faster to change especially if your mag tube sticks out past your barrel.

I run the Briley black oxide extended choke. Make ready pro shop should have them cheapest.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Briley chokes are the best in my opinion.
LM for most 3gun shooting with full & diffusion also being used when applicable.

powercatmd

Fanatic
I run an IM choke about 98% of the time. I like to shoot Estate Super Sport Competition 7.5 for clay targets and use Estate Heavy game load #6 for steel. I agree with Jesse. I like the IM / #6 combination because it forces me to aim harder and tends to result in fewer make up shots on steel.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok may be a stupid question, but need to ask. I was on the Briley website looking at chokes. Are all diffusion chokes rifled? I noticed the dimensions on the skeet choke was .005" and the diffusion was the same .005" but rifled which added 20 bucks. Would it be safe just to get the skeet which is the same dimensions as the diffusion and save 20 bucks. I was looking at the mossberg extended chokes don't know if the shotgun manufacture makes a difference in the dimensions of the choke.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
skeet & diffusion may be the same constriction but are not the same choke.
The diffusion choke spreads the shot rapidly upon exit.
It's great for going really fast on up close poppers & clays.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't bought any chokes for my Benelli yet but, I'm currently running an IC with Winchester AA 7.5 @ 1300 fps or the Winchester Super Speed 7.5 @1350 I do plan to get some extended chokes. They seem to pattern better than the factory chokes, I don't know if it's the longer choke so the forcing cone in the choke is longer but at any rate they are well worth the money. Also good quality shells are a good insurance policy, the cheaper ones don't have as nice a crimp and you may have some issues with them hangin up.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh yeah, stick with a good brand of choke too, Briley are pretty much the benchmark followed by Carlson's. Both work well but I've found the Brileys are more concentric.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Mike Gregorio (MG23) said:
Ok may be a stupid question, but need to ask. I was on the Briley website looking at chokes. Are all diffusion chokes rifled? I noticed the dimensions on the skeet choke was .005" and the diffusion was the same .005" but rifled which added 20 bucks. Would it be safe just to get the skeet which is the same dimensions as the diffusion and save 20 bucks. I was looking at the mossberg extended chokes don't know if the shotgun manufacture makes a difference in the dimensions of the choke.
The rifling in the diffusion choke is wgat spreads the pattern so much. A skeet choke isnt even close to a Diffusion. You can run no choke aka threads and get a wider pattern then a skeet choke. The orger option us to shoot Fiocchi spreader loads which do about the same things as a Diffusion choke dies with regular ammo.

Latest posts