What are your thoughts on 45 deg iron sights for AR15 in 3Gun?

Mondo Garcia

Well-Known Fanatic
What are your thoughts on 45 deg iron sights for AR15 in 3Gun? Are they gadgety or are they necessary. I run a 1-6 Vortex and bought some Diamondback 45deg sights on a whim, which are preety cool. Just wondering if I should install them, or just use the glass and sell the D45s.

DMD1799_1.jpg

Thoughts?
mondo

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I use the offset sights on almost every stage in the pro series. We are always shooting those 10" plates at 50 yards then hosing some close paper instantly before ditching the rifle. I have gotten pretty damn good with them. In a typical match I bet you're lucky to get one stage where you don't have time to change magnification on your scope. One good thing about a set of offsets is you don't have to remember to change magnification. I always forgot and would go to hose paper on 6X then get lost in the glass and have to stop change magnification and then Go back to shooting. It isn't a lot of time lost but it's a disruption to your stage plan which can Cause all kinds of bad to happen. It's even worse when you forget to turn magnification up for long stuff after hosing. You set in behind the gun in your stable position which takes time then you Peek thru the scope and oh **** back off the gun you go to adjust the magnification.

So do you need them? No

Do they come in handy occasionally? Yes

Do you need to train with them to be good at shooting them fast? Yes

As for the diamond head flip to the side offsets. I got a set and they won't fit behind any of my scopes specially in the folded position. They are so long when folded. They also got in the way of my charging handle. The only application I see them fitting is a bUIS role for a short body red dot.

Ian Swope

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been using 45 degree irons since I first started shooting my AR in competition about a year and a half ago and I don't know if I could go back to not using them now. I started off with some cheapo Amazon $20 sights which did the job okay. Last year I moved to the Dueck Defense RTS sights and they've worked really well. I almost wonder if I need a true 1x on my variable power scope because I have yet to shoot a match where I didn't have the power cranked up to 4x the whole time and just used my irons for the close stuff.

22+1

Well-Known Fanatic
I use small offset rails with straight flip up troy dioptic sights With a vortex pst optic.
For me they seem faster out to 40 yards. I tend to get lost looking through the optic at close targets even on true 1x power.

TheRealKoop

Well-Known Fanatic
I just installed some last week, and used them once in both matches I shot this weekend.

Good for those "just in case" moments. Dont add enough weight to matter.

Alma

Fanatic
I used mine on two stages last month. It seems especially handy since the zoom on my Vortex is still really stiff. Even with a lever it takes me at least three seconds to crank the magnification from 1 to 6.

Latest posts