What are you reading?

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Just curious as to what you guys read? I am going on the premise that most of you are in fact literate. ;)
Now I am reading "Bound for Glory"- Woody Guthrie.

Before that I finished the third book in Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series. Only 17 or 18 left to go. I love those high sea adventure novels!

Another good one I finished recently was "The Terror" by Dan Simmons.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I am reading "A Rifleman Went to War" by Herbert McBride, he was an American who went to Canada during WW1 because he was afraid he would miss out on the war staying here. Became a sniper, and his book was a handbook of sorts when the Army and Marines finally decided it needed snipers as a permanent fixture.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
groundswell - cant remember author
There is a God -anthony flew
Pastoral Ministries - john macarther
Great by choice - jim collins
Cresent in the light of the cross (about islam) - norman geisler

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I like those Stephen Hunter books with Bob Lee Swagger. Then I will switch to a Louis Lamour book and then back to the relentous decision and internet reading as I decide on that next gun.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The Machinist's Bedside Reader, Volume Two. I'll start Volume Three tomorrow.

Feegee

The Magic Man
All of James Rollins books are really good, and right now I am reading The Modern Day Gunslinger. Author is Don Mann, US Navy Seal

By the way did someone here loan me this book I can't remember??

dennishoddy

I read a lot of James Patterson, Tom Clancy, Michael Creighton,, and Steven Coonts. I almost refuse to watch tv, and read a lot in the deer stand. My mom would always ***** at me to go outside and play, vs laying on the couch reading the classic novels like, gone with the wind, and others.

shooterdave

Uncivil Servant
Lee Child, John Reacher series. Just finished Tom Clancy's latest. Clive Cussler's newest is next. I've gotten to the point that I read almost exclusively on my iPad. Quicker, Easier, Cheaper.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
Recently finished all of Cussler's Oregon Series; and the last ones from Clancy and Griffin. Awaiting Vince Flynn's (Jan?), Giffin's (Dec), and Clancy's (Dec) new ones. Have been keeping up with Johnstone's westerns' Phil Ward's Dare Series has caught my interest.

For light reading, Perry's Fed Up!

For knowledge, Kyle Lambs two books - Green Eyes and Black Rifles along with Stay in the Fight. Also Modern Day Gunslinger by Don Mann.

Mostly on the Ipad using either iTunes or the Kindle App. Obviously, the travel makes it easier to use than carrying the real books.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
We Were Soldiers Once...and Young - Lt Gen Hal Moore (Ret.) & Joe Galloway (Completed)
Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield (Completed)
Once An Eagle - Anton Myrer (In progress) (I actually ended up finding a first edition of this title for $5 on sale at the used book store)
Killer Angels - Michael Shaara (Next up in the batting order)

The Oklahoma Guard is pretty lacking on its direction with regard to a reading list. I went to some other states' OCS websites, the various academies, etc. & got their lists. I compiled my own from the books that showed up on more than two or three of those lists. The final product is pretty long and so far I've been very pleased with the ones I've read and am reading. It's no wonder they ended up on so many reading lists.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Killer Angels - Michael Shaara (Next up in the batting order)

I need to re-read this. It is AWESOME.

I'm excited to have enough time to read something non-school-related in a few weeks. There has to be SOME Raymond Chandler book that I haven't read yet.

Craig Westerman

Well-Known Fanatic
nice... AW Tozer is good but the "older" language is tough..

I rarely read anything newer than Tozer. Never thought of 1950s and 1960s writings as "older". IMHO most of the newer writers are too much about self and temporal materialism and less about Him and His eternal plan. Tozer "gets it".

I also try to read a couple of CH Spurgeon's sermons a week. Those are "older" language. :) And yet timeless. Good stuff!

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
I rarely read anything newer than Tozer. Never thought of 1950s and 1960s writings as "older". IMHO most of the newer writers are too much about self and temporal materialism and less about Him and His eternal plan. Tozer "gets it".

I also try to read a couple of CH Spurgeon's sermons a week. Those are "older" language. :) And yet timeless. Good stuff!

some of the newer stuff isn't too bad, lee strobel, tim keller, norman geisler, francis chan... but i will agree with most guys (crefelo dollar, joel olsteen, joyce meyer, etc..) are why off base...

Latest posts