What .223 Bullet for 3-gun

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I've already got these bullets, and that's what Kurt swears by, so I'm gonna give it a try. If I get hosed on another bunch of LaRues I'll probably switch to 77s though.

Raymond Tan

New Fanatic
So what's the verdict now on Hornady's 55gr Steel match ammo? Are they bucking Larue's at long range? Used them upto 400yds for flashers and still activating them. Never had a chance to shoot Larue's yet though. Do we still have to keep 69's and 75's for these long range targets? We may encounter them at ARFCOM Pro-Am.

Thanks!
Raymond
poor shooting amateur

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
So what's the verdict now on Hornady's 55gr Steel match ammo? Are they bucking Larue's at long range? Used them upto 400yds for flashers and still activating them. Never had a chance to shoot Larue's yet though. Do we still have to keep 69's and 75's for these long range targets? We may encounter them at ARFCOM Pro-Am.

Thanks!
Raymond
poor shooting amateur

I don't see why it would hit any harder than a standard 55gr bullet. It's not super hot. I have a couple cases of the stuff and it's deadly accurate but it won't feed in my steel mags especially the 60rd Surefire which is my primary prone long range mag. So I use it for practice.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't see why it would hit any harder than a standard 55gr bullet. It's not super hot. I have a couple cases of the stuff and it's deadly accurate but it won't feed in my steel mags especially the 60rd Surefire which is my primary prone long range mag. So I use it for practice.

I have seen the same thing with steel ammo in my Surefire mag, Hornady included. I can only run that stuff in a pmag. It does fine in a pmag but I don't want to be bound to pmags only.

jtischauser

I have seen the same thing with steel ammo in my Surefire mag, Hornady included. I can only run that stuff in a pmag. It does fine in a pmag but I don't want to be bound to pmags only.

Brown Bear that is laquer coated and the old hornady steel cased training ammo works in my steel mags but not the grey/silver cases steel stuff.

hrt4me

Active Fanatic

Thanks! Raymond

+1

TrooperKbC

New Fanatic
I've shot PRVI 75 gr and Hornady Steel 75 gr in addition to Freedom Ammunition 62 gr and Federal XM195. We shoot out to 500 yds at BOTW [although I'm not quite good enough yet in limited division]. Our group doesn't allow changing ammo types during a match, so whatever you start with is what you finish with. At this point, I like the PRVI 2nd best to whatever is cheapest until I'm needing that 500 yds zinger. 55 gr seems fine out to 300.

jtischauser

I've shot PRVI 75 gr and Hornady Steel 75 gr in addition to Freedom Ammunition 62 gr and Federal XM195. We shoot out to 500 yds at BOTW [although I'm not quite good enough yet in limited division]. Our group doesn't allow changing ammo types during a match, so whatever you start with is what you finish with. At this point, I like the PRVI 2nd best to whatever is cheapest until I'm needing that 500 yds zinger. 55 gr seems fine out to 300.

Why won't they let you change ammo? Most guys I know that don't reload change from cheap ammo to accurate ammo for the long stuff. I know I do. There ain't no way I'm shooting my 69gr black hills stuff at cardboard 3 feet away.

Pigfish73

Well-Known Fanatic
I run 55's for hoser and 69's when there's wind or LaRue's. I've seen 55's not knock down a LaRue also.
I've found that my particular loads, in my gun, have very similar drops at similar distances. So, it isn't hard to swap back and forth.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
To belatedly answer Brandon question, all I run at major matches is the Nozler55 grain ballistic tips. I load them up to 3200 fps and shoot them from 3'-600 yards. I have never had trouble with a LaRue target falling over from one.

Tharpinator

Well-Known Fanatic
According to my Sierra Infinity ballistics program a load like Kurt just mentioned (55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 3200) should have about 582 ft/lbs of energy at 300 yards.

A load like Jesse mentioned earlier (Black Hills factory load pushing a 69 grain Sierra MatchKing @ 2850) should have 624 ft/lbs of energy at 300 yards.

Granted these are all computer numbers and everyones gun will shoot different, and how much of a difference 42 ft/lbs will make on a steel target is above my level of expertice. But....those are the numbers.

I'll go ahead and talk smack while I'm here and say you should all just be men and shoot heavy metal anyway. This coming from the guy who has never shot a 3 gun match, but did get his start in competition rocking a Garand in the practical rifle comp out at Oil Capitol :)

jtischauser

According to my Sierra Infinity ballistics program a load like Kurt just mentioned (55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 3200) should have about 582 ft/lbs of energy at 300 yards.

A load like Jesse mentioned earlier (Black Hills factory load pushing a 69 grain Sierra MatchKing @ 2850) should have 624 ft/lbs of energy at 300 yards.

Granted these are all computer numbers and everyones gun will shoot different, and how much of a difference 42 ft/lbs will make on a steel target is above my level of expertice. But....those are the numbers.

I'll go ahead and talk smack while I'm here and say you should all just be men and shoot heavy metal anyway. This coming from the guy who has never shot a 3 gun match, but did get his start in competition rocking a Garand in the practical rifle comp out at Oil Capitol :)

I know several top guys loading those 69's quite a bit hotter than the factory stuff I shoot. I think the heavier bullets help on laRues. Especially the ones that only fall if you hit the top 1/4 or so.

Having them fall faster never hurts either. You gotta see them drop cause just hearing a ding isn't always good enough.

Tharpinator

Well-Known Fanatic
I know several top guys loading those 69's quite a bit hotter than the factory stuff I shoot. I think the heavier bullets help on laRues. Especially the ones that only fall if you hit the top 1/4 or so.

Having them fall faster never hurts either. You gotta see them drop cause just hearing a ding isn't always good enough.
That would probably be my solution...but I have a habit of max loading things.