RIA Went to the range today with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Yesterday, (as seen in the main forum), I went at the local gun show here in town. I picked up some 185gr TMJ rounds from Georgia Arms.

Today, I shot the 50 round bag of 185gr rounds. No problems, no issues, every round went "bang"... Just a slight difference in recoil is all I noticed.

However, as seen on my target, it's been MONTHS since I last went to the range, and it shows. Man, talk about wild inconsistency!! :(

The saying is true - "Practice makes perfect!"

xIiLXyF.jpg

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
That Georgia Arms ammo has never been the most consistent I've shot.
I shot a lot of it when I lived in Florida and could get it at gun shows.

Jammer' is completely correct.........

Danclay

Fanatic
Just a guess, but I'll bet that hole in the black was the first shot fired. Some of my best shots are early on, then I tend to fall apart. But that's just me...
Not uncommon. As you fire you fatigue, holding the arms up alone with the weight for some older people can be challenging. That is wya they recommend strength training for shooter. And, or course, practice all you can, even dry firing with a snap cap will give you some improvement.

DRD

Fanatic
Have experienced first shot thing as well. If I haven't shot in quite a while, however, first mag might look like I just patterned a shotgun. After a few rounds, things settle down. This experience has been with pistols only, never had this issue in sporting clays??

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
As you fire you fatigue, holding the arms up alone with the weight

True. "THE SHAKES". I see people all the time holding the gun up, trying to sight it on target and moving all around.
My technique is to collapse your arms into the resting position in between shots.

Shoot.
Finger off the trigger.
Lower firearm, pointing it at the ground.
Take a cleansing, relaxing breath.
Raise the firearm to sight the target.

zb338

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm glad to hear that Rock Island is making inexpensive, reliable guns.
People like that are few and far between.

Zeke

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
As for Rock Island Armory weapons – I've owned several. Armscor has been building handguns in the Philippines for many years and has the process down - brands include RIA, Citadel, Charles Daly, etc. . If they haven't already, Armscor will be building some weapons in Pahrump, Nevada – home of one of my favorite places, FRONT SIGHT FIREARMS TRAINING INSTITUTE. All have been accurate and reliable. One of my favorites and extremely accurate is the RIA Commander 10 mm. My first .45 was a Citadel Officer's model and I sold it for some reason and sorry I did. About two years ago I picked up another one as a back up to the back up to the back up. While my daily carry is one of two Colts (Wylie Clapp CCO and Combat Commander Elite) or a Kimber Pro CARRY 2) I wouldn't hesitate to carry either Armscor product.

Tail Gunner

Active Fanatic
Got fascinated by my new lever gun. Didn't shoot the 1911 for a month. First time back...Ouch! Had to go back to the range the next day to be sure I really had not lost all pistol shooting ability. LOL Practice often is not just a slogan.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Know the "NEW" feeling well as per my 8" AR 9mm. I really do enjoy shooting this.

Last edited:

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
have the same problem Charlie, the weight of my Kimber starts getting too me. mabey being a 69 year old out of shape guy might have something to do with it.

Legion489

Fanatic
Go to most rent a gun ranges and ask for a 1911. 99 times out of a hundred they hand you a Rock Island Arsenal. When you ask why Rock Island, they say it is cheap and lasts as long or longer than pretty much anything else out there. The BEST out of the box 1911 I ever bought was a Metro Arms (Philippine) basic 1911 from Century (now sold by Metro Arms USA). WORKED out of the box (more than I can say for the Kimber that cost well over twice as much) and has the BEST trigger pull on any 1911 I have seen, including some big name custom 1911s. Second best? Taurus PT1911 stainless Super.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
When you say that the only noticible difference was recoil.......did you mean shot to shot within the lot or did you mean compared to your usual load or factory ammo?

Thanks

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Following find a target from a few days ago. Shot using a CZ TSO 40.

I agree that most first shots are usually bulls.....particularly the faster you shoot (for some reason)

the target below was shot bottom to top starting from "high ready" and emptying 16 shots pretty fast Into each 2" circle. 4975CBF6-9BAC-4EA3-AB7E-0DDF6E8AB104.jpeg
Top target was 15/16.......I was so happy with that that I kept the target.........but I shoot almost every day.

Anybody tried the Mike Seeklander vids?? I highly recommend the 21 day shooting improvement series (but you can get a lot of the stuff on youtube). It made a HUGE difference with me and Seeklander is an EXCELLENT instructor. Worth every bit of the $45

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
When you say that the only noticible difference was recoil.......did you mean shot to shot within the lot or did you mean compared to your usual load or factory ammo?

Thanks

It was the perceived recoil from the normal 230gr FMJ rounds that I have always shot. I haven't been to the range in a while and it showed. Hang my head in shame... :(