Water Wells & Septic Systems

NDiekman

Fanatic
Buying a house a little off the beaten path. I will have rural water but want a back up. I only have 1/2 an acre. I've been told that it isn't safe to have a septic system and a water well on less than 3/4 acres. Is that true? Also, does it matter that I have an aerobic system so I don't have lateral lines?

I need to be ready for the zombies!

dennishoddy

You would need call your county DEQ agent to find out what is legal for your area. It all depends on how deep the water table is, and they probably already have that info.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
What he said and my septic guy ,( also have aerobic) says it all depends on your up keep . The water from the sprinklers on the system is supposed to be pottable bu I'm not trying it. Yor septic guy has rules for installation as far as distances he has to be from the house and well. And same for your well guy . Just keep tabs in your aerobic system and you should be fine.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
With an aerobic system the game changes a bit. Usually you want a min of 100ft between the well and your lat lines. Snce you don't have any then you should be in buisness.

If you call 405-702-6100, Oklahoma Dept of Environmental Quality/ Enviromental Complaints and Local Serices, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Also, be aware that there are things that affect potability other than bacteria. You will want to have the well water profiled for metals, nitrates, hardness etc.

handlebar

Well-Known Fanatic
Any body know Howe to get a dead skunk out of a well ? Well is 60 ft to water and 120 ft deep. The well is for stock water only.

dennishoddy

How in the hell did the skunk get in there in the first place?
Some trotline braided nylon string and a big trebble hook (sharpened) with a weight on the bottom should snag it and take it out.

All can be bought at wally world, or better yet, go to a tackle shop that specializes in big catfish, or snagging spoonbill. The will have the BIG trebble hooks.

Latest posts