Watches

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
So I am looking at watches, what would you guys recommend as a rugged and tough brand/style for outdoors/work. I am an aircraft technician so it needs to be able to handle large amounts of sweat, dirt, grease, and being banged against metal structures.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I have a Timex Ironman from around 1998 or so. It has been caught on many a mechanism, endured lots of impacts in industrial settings, been dropped 20 feet while using it as a stopwatch on a catwalk. It's been chemically attacked over the years by MEK, MIBK, pure sodium hydroxide, semi-dilute sulphuric acid, and a little bit of hydrochloric acid to the point where the plastic buttons melted and bezel is gone, and one button has been completely destroyed. It has not been subjected to all that much heat, maybe 300 degrees at the most. Functionally it works like new, even though the buttons generally have to be activated with pick-type tools. It's still waterproof. I wear it for yard work and home projects.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Casio GShock. I destroyed 2 Timex Ironmans in the Army. Had my GShock 10-12 years now. Spend the extra cash and get a solar model at a minimum. I have a solar atomic. Have never had to set the watch and no battery to replace.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Awesome, sounds like the Gshock might be the one for me, as I like analog watches and they seem to offer analog in that line. I used to wear expeditions until my last one broke strap on me about two years ago, good watches, just straps where cheap leather so they wore out from moisture really quick.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I'd be too scared to wear a rolex even around the house for fear of scratching it.
I just don't get why people spend multiple thousands of dollars on a watch.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
I'd be too scared to wear a rolex even around the house for fear of scratching it.
I just don't get why people spend multiple thousands of dollars on a watch.
Quality watches hold resale value like quality guns. You can usually get back at least 80% of what you paid if you bought them at the right price.

Sapphire crystal doesn't scratch easy. I don't have a Rolex, but I wear my omega everywhere. The only time I don't wear it is when I'm shooting pistol matches. Shooting pistols left handed doesn't work well with the latch on omegas. It comes loose.

I have field dressed multiple deer wearing it though.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
GShock all the way and yes get the solar one. Have had mine for 8 years and the only thing I had to replace was the band at 15 bucks

Signal22

Active Fanatic
Josh Beauchamp said:
Casio GShock. I destroyed 2 Timex Ironmans in the Army. Had my GShock 10-12 years now. Spend the extra cash and get a solar model at a minimum. I have a solar atomic. Have never had to set the watch and no battery to replace.
+1

Latest posts