Wanting to learn about scopes...

45tostayalive

.22 Magnum
I am wanting to learn about scopes... If I was to ask a question I need to make sure it does not end up as one of JT gun forum videos....LOL

1. Okay first off what does the dials do on a three dial scope...The right one.. The top on...The left one...

And no I am not wanting to be a sniper I am wanting to learn more about long range shooting and how I can better myself....

Ninja/Sniper COD master comes later....LOL J/king

Please dont add the formula on MOA I have it and it looks like forening talk to me as far as my understanding goes...

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
top is elevation
right is windage
left is paralax

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
What is it that you don't understand about MOA or Mil

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
I am wanting to learn about scopes... If I was to ask a question I need to make sure it does not end up as one of JT gun forum videos....LOL

1. Okay first off what does the dials do on a three dial scope...The right one.. The top on...The left one...

And no I am not wanting to be a sniper I am wanting to learn more about long range shooting and how I can better myself....

Ninja/Sniper COD master comes later....LOL J/king

Please dont add the formula on MOA I have it and it looks like forening talk to me as far as my understanding goes...

Typically on magnified scopes (not counting red-dots, holo-sights, etc.), the right knob is for Windage adjustment and the top knob is for elevation adjustment. For the most part, the left one is either magnification, parallax, or sometimes illumination adjustment.

The windage/elevation knobs adjust the reticle in relation to the barrel of the gun and usually are in increments of fractions of an MOA (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 are most common) or in fractions of Mils (.05, .1, .5 are all I've seen if my memory isn't failing me again).

You use these knobs to zero the rifle and then to adjust for for things like wind, bullet-drop due to shooting at longer/shorter distances from your zero, vertical angles, temperature, barometric pressure, etc.

45tostayalive

.22 Magnum
top is elevation
right is windage
left is paralax
top is elevation= Am I eleavating the barrel or the scope?.... As in which one raises?.

right is windage= What does this exactly do?

left is paralax= Ok I actually had to look this word up... Does this bring the object closer to me and more clearer.....Or is that for the big knob on the eye peice....

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
top is elevation= Am I eleavating the barrel or the scope?.... As in which one raises?.
Your barrel will angle upward to compensate for bullet drop. The farther away you get the more angle you need. The actual scope body doesn't move. The reticle inside moves inside the scope body to change your point of aim to your point of impact.

right is windage= What does this exactly do?
Say your shooting in a left to right wind. You need to shoot to the left of your target to compensate for the wind blowing your bullet to the right. Adjusting the turrets to point your reticle to the right of your target will make it when you fire the round and you are holding the reticle on your target. The bullet is actually going to the left a bit to compensate for the wind drift.

left is parallax= Ok I actually had to look this word up... Does this bring the object closer to me and more clearer.....Or is that for the big knob on the eye peice....

Parallax is when your reticle is appearing to be on different point on the target than what your actual point of aim is, due to slight changes in the position of the eye, relative to the scope's eyepiece. The magnification ring is usually on the scope in front of the eyepiece. Sometimes the parallax is another ring there also and on some scopes it is adjusted by turning a ring up near the objective lens.

Now have I confused you any more than you already were?

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Read this:

[font="TimesNewRoman][size="6"][font="TimesNewRoman][size="6"]
MILS and MOA​
[/size][/font][/size][/font][font="TimesNewRoman][size="5"][font="TimesNewRoman][size="5"]
A Guide to understanding what they are and​
[/size][/font][/size][/font][font="TimesNewRoman][size="6"][font="TimesNewRoman][size="6"]How to derive the Range Estimation Equations

[/size][/font][/size][/font]By Robert J. Simeone

http://www.mil-dot.com/Content%20Images/The_Derivation_of_the_Range_Estimation_Equations.pdf

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
The windage/elevation knobs adjust the reticle in relation to the barrel of the gun and usually are in increments of fractions of an MOA (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 are most common) or in fractions of Mils (.05, .1, .5 are all I've seen if my memory isn't failing me again).

Like EZ Bake said. Depending on the scope your using the knobs will be either in 1/8, 1/4, ect. Most hunting and tactical style scopes are in the 1/4 MOA group. Your benchrest scopes will mostly be 1/8. The easiest way to figure your "dope" is to use a ballistic calculator. Here is an example from one I did real quick from Hornadys website.

BCexample.jpg

1 MOA is 1.047" or 1" at 100 yards. With 1/4 MOA knobs that means every click is .26175" or .25" to make it easier.

For distance with a MOA Reticle and MOA knobs the formula is:
Hight of target in inches X 95.5 / size of target in MOA on the reticle = distance in yards
Example: with a 12" target X 95.5 and it is 3 moa tall in the scope = 382 yards.

Mil reticles and MOA knobs are a different animal (more math)

45tostayalive

.22 Magnum
So I am understanding...

you say the clicks on my scope if they are 1/4 inch... Means for every 4 clicks is 1 inch correct... same if it is 1/8 which means ever 8 clicks means I have adjused 1 inch. right?

as an example to see if I am understanding a little more..

say when I shoot and the bullet has hit at 2 inches to the left and one inch down...

This means I will adjust the right dial 8 clicks to the right (or forward) and the top 4 clicks up right???

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
So I am understanding...

you say the clicks on my scope if they are 1/4 inch... Means for every 4 clicks is 1 inch correct... same if it is 1/8 which means ever 8 clicks means I have adjused 1 inch. right? Correct

say when I shoot and the bullet has hit at 2 inches to the left and one inch down...

This means I will adjust the right dial 8 clicks to the right This would make you miss 4 inches left. Need to go left 8 clicks or 2 MOA. You want your barrel to stay in the same place, but when you move the reticle left 2MOA (8 clicks) you will bring the barrel back to the center of the target.(or forward) and the top 4 clicks up right??? correct

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
So I am understanding...

you say the clicks on my scope if they are 1/4 inch... Means for every 4 clicks is 1 inch correct... same if it is 1/8 which means ever 8 clicks means I have adjused 1 inch. right?

This means I will adjust the right dial 8 clicks to the right (or forward) and the top 4 clicks up right???

At this point you know as much as I do.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
If you want to learn a lot, go to sniper's hide optics section and read read read. Also, keep your mouth shut for a while. Just read.

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
So I am understanding...

you say the clicks on my scope if they are 1/4 inch... Means for every 4 clicks is 1 inch correct... same if it is 1/8 which means ever 8 clicks means I have adjusted 1 inch. right?

The knobs move the bullet impact. If you move the elevation turret up, the bullet impact moves up. Same with the windage turret. If you are shooting 2" left and 1" low you need to move the windage turret to the right and the elevation turret up.

The 1/4" clicks are only correct at 100 yards. If you're shooting at 200 yards the values are different. They are 1/4 MOA clicks. 1/4 MOA at 200 yards is 1/2". 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1". 1 MOA at 200 yards is 2".

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
They will tear a noob apart over there. I'll enjoy it, but I'd feel bad if I didn't at least warn him.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Dustin's right. I was wrong on the left/right. I had to type and retype that post about 4 times. I kept hitting tab and it would go to a different screen and erase part of what I typed. And the old timers can put on a pretty good dogpile on the Hide. It gets quite comical though. Sometimes I'll read a post title and cringe. But then I've gotta click and see some of the off the wall post. Oh yeah. Never, ever, ever mention Countersniper Scopes over there!

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
The knobs move the bullet impact. If you move the elevation turret up, the bullet impact moves up. Same with the windage turret. If you are shooting 2" left and 1" low you need to move the windage turret to the right and the elevation turret up.

The 1/4" clicks are only correct at 100 yards. If you're shooting at 200 yards the values are different. They are 1/4 MOA clicks. 1/4 MOA at 200 yards is 1/2". 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1". 1 MOA at 200 yards is 2".

To properly understand this, its important to know that you're adjusting your optic's Point of Aim (POA) by way of an angle and not a specific 1" over or up/down (Minute of Angle is the next smaller measurement from degrees - Degrees, minutes, seconds...).

Think of your position as the center of a circle and the target as a point on the outside edge of the circle (say at a 100yd radius) and your adjustment as another point 1" away from the first point.

If you put a larger circle around that first one (say at a 200yd radius), then all your adjustments are moving the reticle double the distance in MOA from one point to the next (because you're now 100yds farther away, or going out to a circle twice as large). 1 Minute of Angle, or 1 MOA is not approx 1" at 200yds like it was at 100yds - its now a little more than 2" (a Minute isn't exactly 1" at 100yds, its about 1.047").

Mils are similar, but done via a Radian Arc (which is where "pi" comes from - if you take the radius of a circle and use that radius to mark two points on the outer part of the circle, you'll be able to get around 3.14 of those in the whole circle. 1/1000th of that is a "milliradian".

That link that Killshot posted is one of the best write-ups on the net - print that badboy off and put it in the crapper and read it every time you're in there - it took me a few times to pick up on all the math.

Mils and MOA are used not only in the knobs for adjustment or doping, but also in reticles for measuring (if you have an approx height or width of the target) distance to the target. The formulas for measuring distance are typically easier when using US measurements and MOA (feet/yards/inches) or if using Metric measurements and Mils (Centimeters, Meters, etc.).

Trying to convert Mils to US measurements is a pain in the ass (I'm not real familiar with how objects relate to metric measurements, so I've not tried to measure something in MOA and convert to metric units).

Latest posts