wanting to get into 3 gun...have questions

brotherhef

Well-Known Fanatic
1. do most use moly chrome ar's or chrome lined?

2) what type of shells are used in 3 gun? oz? shot? ect

Thank you in advance for any help.

Chambers

actual GM
I prefer stainless. It doesn't matter.

I shoot the cheap Federal bulk pack from Wal Mart and it works just fine.

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
Is a saiga 12 allowed? What is the typical choke used? How many mags are necessary?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Is a saiga 12 allowed? What is the typical choke used? How many mags are necessary?
yes, but it put's you in open division with the red dot pistols & all the other go faster stuff

Typical choke is LM

3 or 4 pistol mags

Saiga mags-? ? ?

imacgyver

Founding Member
I wanna go fast, I want a saiga - if you get one with a cool choke - I want to use it in 3 gun!

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I didn't have any luck finding chokes for my Saiga, but I think it would do well in 3Gun if you used high brass birdshot. The cheapest shotshells have extremely wide tolerances, so they jam on occasion. The cheapest shotshells also don't have enough oomph, about one in twenty, to cycle the Saiga fully. This causes a jam that is usually a failure to eject. High brass birdshot would work perfectly, but it costs more. And on a stage with multiple shotshell types, if that does happen, would cause a great lag time in that you'd need to have a mag with each type of shot required.

Saiga mags come in 2, 5, 8, 10, 12, and 20 round capacities. They're getting cheaper and cheaper, too, which sucks if you bought them years ago, like I did.

Also, I sold my Saiga to fund my Benelli, and it was totally worthwhile. The Benelli will run fine with the crappiest ammo and the best ammo. The Saiga will run fine with the best ammo only. I'm talking quality, not preference.

Any AR barrel will be fine. Chrome-lining is very popular, but completely unnecessary. A molybdenum-steel barrel will last longer than a chrome-lined. Having shot a 3Gun, I'd say get the longest barrel and gas system you can afford.

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
Ive been shooting clays with saiga for quite some time just for fun. I rarely have misfeeds using walmart box shells in my particular saiga. I am concerned with being in the open class cause my pistol and ar are both bone stock. However, I just got my hands on a glock 22 and could get both the pistol and ar done up for what I was going to spend on an open sti. Decisions, decisions.

p.s. Mississippi Auto Arms has SGM chokes for the saiga but the only ones I could find were standard chokes. Not having luck finding Light Modified.

Bk2X

Well-Known Fanatic
I know haha I just need to buy a benelli and stay in the stock class.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Not so much you. But some other "advice" here is a little suspect.

If it were me, I would use what I have and then decide where I want to go in the sport. If doing it just for fun, it really doesn't matter what I use. At local matches all the scores are lumped together anyways and there is no money or prizes involved so what does it matter?

Chambers

actual GM
The only Saigas that do well in 3-gun are of the $3,500 variety. Period. Even those can give you grief. And at that point it's kind of like Jerry M's Mossberg...not a whole lot of "Saiga" left on the inside.

If it were me, I would use what I have and then decide where I want to go in the sport.

DING DING DING!

csiedmond1

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, I need to know some things; Shotgun-what barrel length? what choke? Rifle- what sights? Pistol- what caliber? what sights?
Shotgun-Mossberg 500A- modified barrel w/ no choke, bead front sight only, 7+1 cap.
Rifle-Charles Daly lower w/ Model1sales kit upper 1:9
Pistol-??? I have a g21c, g33, both w/ factory fixed sights.

Can I get some direction in how to get equipped for a match?

Thanks in advance. :)

csiedmond1

Well-Known Fanatic
I would agree with you, but I would like to come equipped and ready to throw down with all of my own equipment... :unsure:

Redline

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, I need to know some things; Shotgun-what barrel length? what choke? Rifle- what sights? Pistol- what caliber? what sights?
Shotgun-Mossberg 500A- modified barrel w/ no choke, bead front sight only, 7+1 cap.
Rifle-Charles Daly lower w/ Model1sales kit upper 1:9
Pistol-??? I have a g21c, g33, both w/ factory fixed sights.

Can I get some direction in how to get equipped for a match?

Thanks in advance. :)

make sure you have some extra mags, get a holster and mag pouch for the handgun, buy ammo for each (double the required amount) and come on out. you will get to see what works and what all is out there. (might even get to test drive a couple :D )

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You need to get mag holsters, for rifle and pistol. And shotshell caddies. Don't worry about your guns yet. And don't spend a crapload of money until you start shooting. Get a wagon or some other wheeled toting device to carry your guns and ammo and accessories and the kitchen sink between stages. That is for damn sure. Midway has good prices on Bladetech mag holsters, which should fit the bill between cheap and reliable until you get some idea what exactly you'll be wanting.

csiedmond1

Well-Known Fanatic
How many rifle/pistol mags/holsters will I need for the average match, hom many shot shell caddies???

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
In general you will need a pistol with a good holster which will retain the pistol durring vigarus movement, with at least 2 spare magazines and holders. More if you shoot a single stack gun.

You will need a rifle with at least a 200 yard zero and at least 1 spare magazine and holder.

You will need a shotgun for what ever division you plan to shoot and some way to carry extra shells. Plan on stages that requier at least 32 rounds of shot. If you go the shotshell caddy route you will need at least 3 6 rounders OR 4 4 rounders. Plan on at lesat 100 rounds of each type of ammo per match and a few slugs. That is all you need. KurtM

Notes on barrel....Chrome lining isn't necessary as stated. Chrome Moly is a type of steel. Chrome lining is a process APPLIED to a finished barrel made of Chrome Moly or any other type of steel. It makes cleaning easier, makes the barrel last a bit longer and DEGRADES accuracy...not needed.

Latest posts