Walmart to stop selling ammo.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't believe they are really going to do this. They are really going to make a bunch of thier customers mad. There are rual areas where Walmart is the only place to even buy ammo. Hobart springs to mind, I don't know anywere else but Walmart to get ammo.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't be quick to pile on. The people that answer the phones don't always give accurate information. It's possible that person misspoke.

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
I was told the same thing here in TN, I had two friends ask about ammo in GA and NC both they were told the same thing no new ammo orders. I hope it's not true.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is the info from the link.

Wal-Mart and the bi-partisan coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns have announced that Wal-Mart, the largest seller of firearms in the nation, has adopted the new Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, a 10-point code that will help ensure that guns do not fall into the wrong hands. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, created by Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Wal-Mart, is a set of policies that will be implemented over time that includes video recording of sales, rigid controls on inventory, checks that gun purchasers are not misrepresenting themselves, and the development of a first-of-its kind computerized crime gun trace log for retailers.
Read the full press release

spacer_20_20.gif

spacer_20_20.gif

spacer_369_15.gif

RESPONSIBLE FIREARMS RETAILER PARTNERSHIP:
A 10-Point Voluntary Code
1. Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.
2. Computerized Crime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Participating retailers will maintain a computerized log of crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.
3. Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.
4. Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.
5. Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.
6. Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.
7. Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart's training program.
8. Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart's firearms audit check procedures.
9. No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on "default proceeds," which are permitted by law when the background check has not returned a result within 3 days.
10. Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked to racks.
Participating retailers will phase in the provisions of Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership over time.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Steve McGinley said:
So no mention of ammo in that release
None that I could see.The lady on the phone said that nothing in their policy had changed or was changing and that if I needed more information I should go to the website. It says nothing about Ammo that I can find.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Future trips to gun stores may well go like this:

"So, do you guys participate in the RESPONSIBLE FIREARMS RETAILER PARTNERSHIP program?", asks the potential customer.
"We sure do!", says the gun store employee. "What can I show you?"
"Well, shoot. I'd say the door but I found that coming into the place. Thanks!" says the customer as he leaves the store to lawfully buy his gun somewhere else.

Of course, I could be wrong.

okiestranger

Well-Known Fanatic
I hope this is true here in south west Oklahoma I buy all my ammo at Walmart. And I am desperately low at the moment.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Multiple people on that "other" forum have called Walmart Corporate and confirmed that ammo sales will continue for what is in stock, but they are not reordering from their suppliers. Whether this is permanent remains to be seen.

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
Just playing devils advocate here a bit, but how large of orders does walmart place and how far out is delivery. It is more likely an attempt to avoid purchasing something they may not be able to legally sell, or even import - I've heard some speculate that imports are an area that may be able to be influenced by executive order. If I were running a major retailer, I certainly wouldn't want to end up paying or many cargo containers of .223 In Europe that I couldn't get into the US.

If sucks but I hunk if its true Walmart is making a business decision not a political one. They will get some backlash and phone calls, but the percentage of customers that would actually stop sending money there is infinitesimally small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fleche

Well-Known Fanatic
Yup. There is so much uncertainty that no one wants to get stuck with inventory they can't legally sell. I'd wager that most of the current shortage is due to this as well. Would you build guns or mags that you can't sell? I'd make and move only what I was 100% sure about...great opportunity to clear some warehouses too.

Latest posts