versa max questions

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Wall said:
VMax is not a copy of the M2.
VMax is a gas operated gun & the M2 is inertia operated.

Yes, the VMax is a little softer recoiling

VMax is both gas and inertia driven. Its actually a step up from the $1800 Benelli M4 if you believe the marketing hype about the gas port locations in relationship to the shell size your shooting stuff.

jtischauser

Who knows in a couple of years we maybe all using the VMax if it can prove itself in the field. The concept is sound and I like the fact that Remington is tossing out VMax certificates at matches like candy out of a float at a 4th of July Parade. I do like supporting a US company as well.

Clint Dismore

Well-Known Fanatic
Like i said before, I like mine. The reason I got the versa max was because it was less expensive at the time and i couldn't find an m2 i like. All this was before I found BS. I imagine once I am able to have it tuned up it will give me many years of good shooting. I think it comes down to personal preference and budget. Either way you're getting an amazing shotgun. Can't really go wrong

Jesse Tischauser said:
Yes he is. Are u suggesting that he switched because Benelli paid him to?
what? are you talking about? Youre losing it.
cain_7122.jpg

Wall said:
VMax is not a copy of the M2.
VMax is a gas operated gun & the M2 is inertia operated.

Yes, the VMax is a little softer recoiling
the versamax uses some design elements from benelli

jtischauser

Guys I screwed the pooch. I was under the impression that the Versa Max was inertia driven but it is not. It's gas only. Thanks for clearing that up Cywrus. I do t know where I got that from but now I'm really glad I don't have one.

The VM is just a gas gun and that's it.

Larry Mullican

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had a Versa Max Tactical for only a few months and have had only one issue with it. The trigger plate pin came out due to the retaining pin spring not being fully seated in the tube slots. The notches in the tube for the pin retaing spring were not wide enough at the base of the notches to fully seat the spring. I replaced the pin and retaining spring and the spring worked loose on function tests. Problem found, problem solved. The only other problem was my bad. I over sprayed Rem Brite Bore in the barrel, for a barrel cleaning only, allowing some of it to get into the bolt assembly area. Caused all kinds of problems. I'm curious. I got replacement parts in a few short days. What is it like getting parts for the Benelli's?

jtischauser

Brownells carries Benelli parts so they are easy to get if you lose one. I've never had anything break.

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife was picking her STI up today and while we were waiting for the paper work to be done the store owner thought I needed to see his versamax tactical, to be fair the idea didnt excite me much till I had a wee play in the shop then we went out the back and tried it out. I have never shot such a soft shooting 12 gauge bar none. Set up good enough for 3 gun for a clown like me with over sized bits mag extension no goofy sights like other "tactical" shotguns.
I ordered one on the spot.
I WAS going to buy a M2 for the same money but they knock me around a lot,for the amount of shooting I will do with it it should last a fair while.

thobart

Fanatic
MrTheBigOx said:
My wife was picking her STI up today and while we were waiting for the paper work to be done the store owner thought I needed to see his versamax tactical, to be fair the idea didnt excite me much till I had a wee play in the shop then we went out the back and tried it out. I have never shot such a soft shooting 12 gauge bar none. Set up good enough for 3 gun for a clown like me with over sized bits mag extension no goofy sights like other "tactical" shotguns.
I ordered one on the spot.
I WAS going to buy a M2 for the same money but they knock me around a lot,for the amount of shooting I will do with it it should last a fair while.

Amen brother I love mine. Only shotgun I have ever had that never ever beats me up even after shooting it the whole day. Also the only shotgun I have ever had that will cycle feather weight round and 3 inch slugs right next to each other in the tube. I have not found anything last year shooting 3gun it will not eat. I clean it about every 400 shells and it just runs and runs and runs.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
My Beretta Xtrema2 is very soft shooting as well and it will cycle the softest of shells, even Fiocchi extra low recoil "training" shells.

I shoot a M1 for competition.

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Picked mine up today, tore it down and froglubed it when I got home it's a simple cool design and man it is soft to shoot. If I practice I think I can be fairly fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no mods are done on the forarm, which gets in the way, not much is visible as far as how they open the load port, but you can be sure that its very conservative, the carrier isnt welded, and that slippery ass rubber/plastic needs stippling or grip tape if you can get it to stick. It also has a carbon fiber tube instead of aluminum extensions. I dont like that. Also, theyve been promising thats its going to be released for months and its still not available. I think the majority of models will be bought by non three gunners, and will make it difficult to get one. It all boils down to price. any serious shooter is going to probably open the load port up more, and so, other than that, why get it over a stock VM? Or even more enticingly, a versamax sportsman with 26" barrel? You can get those for $750 or so, and send it to a shop and get it fully pimped.

Also, the last few remingtons Ive had are starting to convince me that these are a serious option and should be considered along with benellis. I finally broke down and bought a new VM tactical to play around will on a more serious basis.

thobart

Fanatic
I love my Vmax it is a lot lighter to shoot then the m2. I have shot it for 2 seasons now and have not had any type of failure. I loan it out to people at matches when they dont have a decent shotgun all the time so it see's 2 matches most of the time for every one I attend. It will shoot feather weight loads no problem. It shoots 3 in slugs like 2 3/4 slugs and shoots 3 2 3/4 pretty close to bird shot. I do have a great gunsmith that worked on it so I dunno if my experiences are the same as everyone else. I have at least 10 cases of shells through it now minimum.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I just shot slugs through my VM to check POI at 100, and it had an almost 50% failure to cycle with both Remington Sluggers and Winchester Super X. Both are full power 1 oz rifled slugs. The next round didn't even come out of the mag tube, yet it runs birdshot like a raped ape. Choke tube is IC. Anybody else have this or know what to look for?

benny hill

Haveing done hundreds of each for 3-gun, my experience is the benelli is more reliable with low maintance where the VM is very reliable with a little more maintance. Ty gentry and myself run a VM and with good maintance they work as well as any. VM pros is a HUGE loading port and easy loading past shell release, also SOFT recoil. Cons is 15oz heavier than benelli and harder to get POA out of them. the best shooters have won with both so pick your piosion.

Latest posts