Versa Max Mods

Mike27

Fanatic
In an attempt to start shooting local 3 gun matches I went and picked up a second versamax to modify for 3 gun. I plan to use this gun primarily for 3 gun, but as a hunting shotgun whenever my wife wants to come out with me. I hunt and shoot clays a lot more than 3 gun, like 1,0000 to 1 ratio, so I figure a 24" barrel would be great for her small frame and work well for 3 gun.

Anyway, I want to cut this 28" barrel down to a 24" barrel and rethread it for chokes. From what I understand the pro bore chokes are not a possibility. Does anyone know where I can get this barrel cut and threaded, and what type chokes could be used? It would be great if I could find someone to do that and open up the loading port at the same time. Additionally, what magazine tube extension could I easily put on and off for when I want to hunt with gun one day and shoot 3 gun the next.

I was also thinking about working on the loading port myself. Seems pretty straight forward to open it up and smooth it out. I have all the files and dremmel and am pretty mechanically inclined. Is this project as straight forward as I think or is this something I need to leave up to a professional?

Thanks for any advice on this.

P.S. I already have another 28" waterfowl versamax which is why I am leaning toward cutting the second one down to 24".

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Briley is the best. If you cut it down that much you'll likely have to use their thin wall chokes which are even more expensive then a regular choke plus they require a special wrench.
Give them a call to be sure.

Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports in Kentucky might do it too. He might have different thin wall choke option too.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Why cut it? Most people now are running extention tubes longer than their barrels. A barrel shorter than the extension tube doesn't gain you any mobility and costs a ton more. You can open the loading port a ton and not hurt anything. I would say go at it yourself. If you don't like it, then pay someone to take it a little further. Here's pics of mine. Done on a mill. Can't help on extension, I built my own one piece.

45b2e2b10dbf213881f23bd5a7a3d93f.jpg

d3f4b6bd2b11574c691f9992d79a3b7e.jpg

8f1ad61fe6483327399818e813b04c2c.jpg

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Mike,

If you need a tube, I know of a brand new one sitting in a package from RCI! I am sure the owner will sell it as they are a member here. jcameron996

Also,

I think you are a sexy assed beast.

scratch that. I just re-read it. You need one you can take on and off.

I like the Taccom because it is built tough and I know how you like to break stuff.

Mike27

Fanatic
I picked up a Taccom tube from Tony this weekend. I am just going to keep it at 28" as the +7 tube is a little longer than the barrel and I have 9 versamax chokes already. I will be sending it out to Rose Action Sports today to get the lifter welded and the loading port opened up.

Now I just need to stop f-ing around and start getting out to matches. I planned on going to H&H yesterday but I had people over yesterday and they didn't leave until the match had already started.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Mike27 said:
I picked up a Taccom tube from Tony this weekend. I am just going to keep it at 28" as the +7 tube is a little longer than the barrel and I have 9 versamax chokes already. I will be sending it out to Rose Action Sports today to get the lifter welded and the loading port opened up.

Now I just need to stop f-ing around and start getting out to matches. I planned on going to H&H yesterday but I had people over yesterday and they didn't leave until the match had already started.
Tooth and Nail Armory will be coming out with a new slim handguard for the Vmax's.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a buddy with a 26" and a +12 tube and it's heavy. Not sure how OP'S wife would do with the much weight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the gas ports cut in it, I wondered about doing it to mine it's getting all melted on the inside, who's all making thin forends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts