Versa Max Bolt Lightening

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Another question on the VM; I had my port opened and forend trimmed, but it looks like there's still plenty of material that can be removed from both. I'm not ready to commit to the load port on my own just yet, and quad loads are going decently well except when the first round of the second pair hits the forend or bolt release and pops out of my hand. Is there a video or picture series that shows the process of trimming the forend on the VM? I don't want to remove too much, as hot gasses vent in that area, I think I just need to increase the angle a bit.

LoganbillJ

Sponsor
You just gotta buy more practice off ebay.

As for your second question, let me look at it this weekend at COPS if we get time. Should be able to tell you what else can be safely removed.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
David Marlow said:
Have you noticed a significant difference? I'm looking around at mods that have a purpose, not just for looks.
The main purpose of a lightened bolt is looking badass. The gun might cycle a few hundredths faster too. It's not as dramatic as lightening a slide in a pistol by any means.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
The main purpose of a lightened bolt is looking badass. The gun might cycle a few hundredths faster too. It's not as dramatic as lightening a slide in a pistol by any means.
My understanding is that the inertia of the bolt moving is what causes most of the felt recoil and gun movement when shooting birdshot and that a lighter bolt results in easier transitions. Is this not the case?

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
David Marlow said:
Have you noticed a significant difference? I'm looking around at mods that have a purpose, not just for looks.

I can't tell a speed difference, but it looks better than yoga pants on Jesse.

As for the loading. I can hnestly say it is like throwing a hotdog down a hallway it is so open. Mike did an amaznig job. Easiest shotgun to load in the arsenal. When Hunter heads off to basic, I am stealing this one to use at matches.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I've figured out how to quad load mine with decent speed (Good enough to keep it going in a match, not good enough to post it on Youtube), but it requires me to flare my elbow out on the first pair to angle the second pair away from the forend a bit, then on the second pair I can put them straight in. Still have to get my thumb in a bit to keep the second round from going in part way and then sitting on the lifter, though.

Oh, an edit - I would LOVE to see yoga pants on Jesse, just to feel like my normal street clothing is being mimicked by a pro shooter. "Is that a Glock 19 in an AIWB or are you really angry to see me?"

jtischauser

David Marlow said:
My understanding is that the inertia of the bolt moving is what causes most of the felt recoil and gun movement when shooting birdshot and that a lighter bolt results in easier transitions. Is this not the case?
You're talking about 2-3 ounces. You rocking back and forth from recoil is what moves the sights. I'm serious when I saw the biggest reason to lighten a bolt is looks. Unless you're running like .12 splits all day with a 12 gauge. You night need a faster bolt.

Didnt you send that thing to a gunsmith? You should talk to him about that stuff.

Spring rate and how a pistol is set up is WAYYYY more important in a pistol feel than a lightened slide no matter what Jesse thinks.

And a lightened benelli bolt does very much have a different feel. Many top shooters like the snappier, and the quicker/lighter perceived recoil cycle.

and my dog just farted.. horrendous.

jtischauser

mike cyrwus said:
Didnt you send that thing to a gunsmith? You should talk to him about that stuff.

Spring rate and how a pistol is set up is WAYYYY more important in a pistol feel than a lightened slide no matter what Jesse thinks.

And a lightened benelli bolt does very much have a different feel. Many top shooters like the snappier, and the quicker/lighter perceived recoil cycle.

and my dog just farted.. horrendous.
I agree 100%. I don't look at the sights much. So I have no clue what they do.

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic
What's a bolt Lightning job cost on a versamax?

Can I see your pic of the trimmed go end?

Load port work... Yeah I almost went to far. I burnt thru the lip on the very top. I stopped before I needed to buy a new shotgun. Lol... I like the grooved bolt design. Smooth is cool, can we have are name etched on it?

My hammer chipped again. This is the 2nd stock hammer. There heat treat sucks on it.

jtischauser

bulletman said:
What's a bolt Lightning job cost on a versamax?

Can I see your pic of the trimmed go end?

Load port work... Yeah I almost went to far. I burnt thru the lip on the very top. I stopped before I needed to buy a new shotgun. Lol... I like the grooved bolt design. Smooth is cool, can we have are name etched on it?

My hammer chipped again. This is the 2nd stock hammer. There heat treat sucks on it.
Sounds a lot like my Benelli M2. I bought it used in 2010 and I haven't replaced a single part except for the mag spring every year.

benny hill said:
Main reason to lighten bolts is to pay for mike's new truck and my 500 HP mustang.
YOU ARE THE MAN! You ever met my mama forty or so years ago?

Latest posts